Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > R Phones Getting 2 rediculous???

View Poll Results: R Phones getting 2 Rediculous
Poll Options:
YES 14 votes (50.00%)
NO 14 votes (50.00%)
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll
R Phones Getting 2 rediculous???
Ken Masters
Banned
Oct 1, 2003, 05:17 AM

Well I remember the good old days, when I had a phone where its sole purpose was to call another person.

Now I go to my phone store looking for a new phone after putting mine in the wash to find that the sales guy was telling me that this phone and that phone had all these nifty and ridiculous inclusion that I would probably never use or even want. out of breath?

I mean, are phones getting too ridiculous with the amount of features that are in them. I once liked Nokia's, because they were small, compact, good design and very customisable. Now I go to buy one and they all look like bricks, just so that they can have MP3 support, Colour screen, BT, digital camera, video support, wireless games, Java games and etc.

It�s getting to the point that if Nokia release a toaster with built in phone support I wouldn't be surprised.
( Last edited by Ken Masters; Oct 1, 2003 at 07:47 AM. )

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2003, 05:21 AM

Is school not teaching our students to talk and write English anymore?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Link
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2003, 05:27 AM

bricks? Sony T610 != brick, a handful of other phones != brick.

Nokia is back and fourth. You can still find the old day ones online if you want them...

With OLED technology and whatnot I'm surprised some phones are as big as they are, and clunky! While I like my phone to be just that: a phone, it's nice to have AIM and news when I'm bored ^_^

Don't care for much else, though.
Aloha

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2003, 05:27 AM

The red ones are fine. It's those green ones that are getting greendiculous.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

signal68
Banned
Oct 1, 2003, 08:54 AM

Uh...... No, but most people's spelling ability is.

- Ca$h

tintub
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2003, 09:32 AM

I love my T610. The camera, however, is nothing but a gimmick. Bluetooth on your mac/pc is essential - a USB key is < AU$100.

ZackS
Banned
Oct 1, 2003, 10:32 AM

1.) Cellphones are ridiculous.

2.) Safari has a fookin' built in spell checker. USE IT!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2003, 11:31 AM

Some cell Phones are rediculous. For me just give me something small and with Bluetooth and I'm happy, I don't need all the new fangled features like MP3 support or PDA or anything like that. Bluetooth Headsets Rule. No Wires no mess
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Beewee
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2003, 12:11 PM

Ya the phones are getting pretty ludicrous. "Now I can surf the web, do online shopping, text message my friends and watch tv all from my phone with its amazing 2inch screen."

Though I do think those "Matrix" style phones are cool.

Ken Masters  (op)
Banned
Oct 1, 2003, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by ZackS:
1.) Cellphones are ridiculous.

I don't know who it is, but someone keeps suggesting that I do that.

That fact is, I don't use safari, I refuse to use Jaguar because I have a grudge against it. So I'm waiting till Panther gets release.

oo000OOOO My GOD someone is still using 10.1.5

ZackS
Banned
Oct 1, 2003, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by Ken Masters:
I don't know who it is, but someone keeps suggesting that I do that.

That fact is, I don't use safari, I refuse to use Jaguar because I have a grudge against it. So I'm waiting till Panther gets release.

oo000OOOO My GOD someone is still using 10.1.5
Are you a masochist or something? Christ! Make sure to wear rubber pants when you first play with Panther.

Ryan1524
Senior User
Oct 2, 2003, 12:07 AM

cellphones are not ridicoulous. it's evolving to become better communicators. remember when comptuers are only to do simple math and works as a glorified typewriter? are comptuers getting ridicolous? no, it's what we need for today's world. same thing goes for cellphones.
Ryan

ZackS
Banned
Oct 2, 2003, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by Ryan1524:
cellphones are not ridicoulous. it's evolving to become better communicators. remember when comptuers are only to do simple math and works as a glorified typewriter? are comptuers getting ridicolous? no, it's what we need for today's world. same thing goes for cellphones.
I most certainly need 5000 ringtones and 12 bowling games to communicate in today's world.

Wait 1 sec, lemme text message this guy back to tell him that I'm really busy driving down the Long Island Expressway. Why the hell is the keypad flashing at me?! Ok, got it. Ok, 4, 4, 4, #, that's I. 6, #, that's M. 1,1, # B. 8, 8, # U OH ****! WHERE DID THAT DIVIDER COME FROM!

Ken Masters  (op)
Banned
Oct 2, 2003, 02:47 AM

Are you a masochist or something? Christ! Make sure to wear rubber pants when you first play with Panther.
Well No, I�m not purposely making my life hell using Aqua, its just that when Jaguar was release I just went out and bought myself a nifty copy of Aqua. That�s just not on!!!, no upgrade option, Nothing!!!

So why would I buy Jaguar only to know that Panther is to be release so soon?

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 2, 2003, 04:54 AM

Originally posted by Ken Masters:
Well No, I�m not purposely making my life hell using Aqua, its just that when Jaguar was release I just went out and bought myself a nifty copy of Aqua. That�s just not on!!!, no upgrade option, Nothing!!!

So why would I buy Jaguar only to know that Panther is to be release so soon?
You bought Aqua?

That must have cost a pretty penny.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2003, 05:06 AM

Wait 1 sec, lemme text message this guy back to tell him that I'm really busy driving down the Long Island Expressway. Why the hell is the keypad flashing at me?! Ok, got it. Ok, 4, 4, 4, #, that's I. 6, #, that's M. 1,1, # B. 8, 8, # U OH ****! WHERE DID THAT DIVIDER COME FROM!
If you have problems sending SMS-messages you should probably have your co-ordination and muscle-memory checked. And most definitly you need to turn on predicative typing (t9 dictionary).

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

lemondrop
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2003, 05:20 AM

Computers are spendy, so are OS'S. Thanks for tellin ME HOW TO SPEND MY MONEY. I will use whatever I want to use. That 129 allows me to buy 43 minutes of oral sex. Along with that tab of X that allows me to recieve 43 minutes of oral sex.

A hummer is way better then a built-in spell checker.
Could care less about tact..

Link
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2003, 06:46 AM

lol well each to his own. I am waiting for a gameboy phone sp

Of course P800 with emulator will serve this purpose better!
Aloha

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2003, 02:09 PM

Adding all these cool things to phones is great mainly because if they were in their own devices, they would never become common.

I think it is gonna be so cool once every phone made comes with a camera...

-Owl

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2003, 03:22 PM

You whine too much about cell phones.

No one forces a high end phone on you. The low end ones like that Nokia 21XX are prob the most popular sold and they do nothing special but SMS and ringtones. If you don't want the functions then don't get a high end phone.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Ken Masters  (op)
Banned
Oct 2, 2003, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
You whine too much about cell phones.

No one forces a high end phone on you. The low end ones like that Nokia 21XX are prob the most popular sold and they do nothing special but SMS and ringtones. If you don't want the functions then don't get a high end phone.
How embarrassing!

Sealobo
Oct 2, 2003, 08:42 PM

So i got this migthy 3G cellphone with built in video-conferencing function. I then went to fool around at a local night club, with topless sexy babes. Ring Ring (with 64-channel midi ring tone playing the national anthem of China) and o it's my phone! How nice, the caller display shows "Girl Friend"... o ****... ok... i picked up without the video-conferencing function... and then my girl was like... "hey, let me see where you are..."

You tell me what to do.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2003, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by lemondrop:
Computers are spendy, so are OS'S. Thanks for tellin ME HOW TO SPEND MY MONEY. I will use whatever I want to use. That 129 allows me to buy 43 minutes of oral sex. Along with that tab of X that allows me to recieve 43 minutes of oral sex.

A hummer is way better then a built-in spell checker.
He's got a point.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2003, 08:53 PM

All I want is a cell phone with a ringtone that sounds exactly like the Chairman Mao lighters that play "The East is Red" when you open them. I tried to compose my own, but I don't have one of the lighters anymore (will have to get a crate of them in china this winter), and it's hard to do without the lighter to work from.

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2003, 09:04 PM

i wish they'd devote some of the ever increasing 'storage capacity' of newer phones to improving their operating systems rather than [to paraphrase someone else] adding 20 sh*te games that make my 1980's sinclair spectrum look like a multimedia marvel.

EG. on my nokia 3210 [old 'un but a good 'un] there are annoyances like...

having to delete messages individually rather than a 'delete all' function ...
predictive text never learning from what i write. ie. it will always suggest 'he' rather than 'if' when i hit '4' + '3' because 'he' comes first alphabetically although statistically i'm far more likely to be writing 'if'...
inability to remove words from predictive texting's database that i've spelt wrong in the past or never use. they still get suggested each time....
while writing a text, holding the delete button down for too long will erase the whole message rather than just the last character. aaargh! where's the f**kin undo function?

thank god our desktop OSes aren't as badly designed as yer average 'phone OS'.... unless you're using windoze 95, i s'pose

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2003, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
He's got a point.
Unless it's a H2 he's referring to, then I'd say Safari has the edge.

Interesting thing with these new mobiles:
Local council has banned people from taking mobiles (all mobiles, not just ones with cameras) into public swimming baths 'coz pervs might be taking pictures in the changing rooms. So now nobody can use their phone while in the complex. Progress?

Oh well... It gives the opportunity to point, laugh and call someone "gay" when their phone rings with a polyphonic rendition of Van Halen's 'Jump'. And gives me the opportunity to jump on the just-walked-into-the-bar-fresh-meat-hottie who you didn't notice 'coz you were busy texting someone.
If it doesn't scare hippies, it's not worth listening to

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2003, 09:09 PM

I've still got my original cell phone. Have had it for about 4-5 years. It's falling apart, but I'd rather have it then these new ones. I'd like my cell phone compact and simple, and these new ones seem to be sacrificing size for options. Understandably, people don't mind that trade-off, but in my book, I just want my phone so I can call people.

I also just read an article in the WSJ (I think?) about how some places are beginning to ban cell phones with cameras. Not completely related, but not completely unrelated as well.

*edit*
Yup, Wall Street Journal September 30, 2003 issue on page B1; "You're on Candid Cellphone!". A lot of places are worried about a host of nudie shots and invasion of privacy.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

Forum Links
Forum Rules