Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes 4.1 & QT 6.4

iTunes 4.1 & QT 6.4
Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2003, 02:41 PM

iTunes 4.1 and QuickTime 6.4. Check Software update people.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2003, 02:44 PM

iPod 2.1 as well.

djjava
Senior User
Oct 16, 2003, 02:47 PM

itunes works fine on my wintel box @ work...
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

kovacs
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2003, 02:49 PM

Yep iTunes XP seems like a solid app !

a holck
Senior User
Oct 16, 2003, 02:54 PM

can we have some screenshots?

JayTay
Oct 16, 2003, 02:55 PM

My iTunes install via Software Update seems to have stalled. What can I do?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2003, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by a holck:
Go to this thread:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...67#post1644467

JayTay
Oct 16, 2003, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by JayTay:
My iTunes install via Software Update seems to have stalled. What can I do?
Force Quit and another go worked fine in the end.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2003, 03:14 PM

( Last edited by Drakino; Oct 16, 2003 at 03:52 PM. )
<This space under renovation>

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2003, 03:23 PM

Windows by its very nature has the opposite of the Midas touch. Everything it touches turns to sh!t. iTunes just looks crappy on Windows. The text, the pref panel and those damn menu bar items in the app window itself, or what ever they're called.

spaced
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2003, 03:45 PM

I'm running iTunes on a PIII 1 GHz with 512mb of RAM and it skips when I minimize the app. Is this happening to anyone else? Really super annoying and this machine is not exactly obsolete.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2003, 04:33 PM

Quicktime 6.4 got a much needed visual update... I like it !

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2003, 04:51 PM

Does it have WMP support? i.e. playing microsoft media format songs?

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2003, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by kovacs:
Quicktime 6.4 got a much needed visual update... I like it !
What you mean?
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2003, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
What you mean?
I think he talks about the QT Player, now it is a "full" featured brushed metal being, with sunken widgets and the like.

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2003, 06:57 PM

Not a bad little port. Resizing and the like are a little slow, the scrollbar is a little fuzzier than on the Mac, the text is obviously using Windows' less pretty anti-aliasing.

I've had a few problems adding to my library on Windows - I need to do it in multiple runs basically, because it keeps stopping. I'm sure it's because I'm mapping a SMB drive to my Mac. Unless Windows users having the same problem with two PCs, I doubt people will complain too much. Anybody with a Mac in the house will know how good iTunes is...

But I don't need to go over all the niceties, because basically it's still iTunes and it's still fantastic.

Chris

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2003, 07:17 PM

Does iTunes 4.1 fix the lag bug between songs on Panther?

petrol
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2003, 07:44 PM

Hi,

there must be something I'm missing about iTunes.

Today I downloaded the new Strokes album to my computer at work (why it's missing Track 4 just because they also sell the single separately is another issue), and now I want to download it at home. If I say "check for purchased music" it says I've downloaded everything I've purchased. I don't want to pay for it again, how do I redownload it?

Thanks,
Phil.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2003, 08:34 PM

petrol, you don't re-download the songs. You simply transfer the songs you've bought onto your home computer and then authorize iTunes to play them.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93366

petrol
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2003, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by dtriska:
petrol, you don't re-download the songs. You simply transfer the songs you've bought onto your home computer and then authorize iTunes to play them.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93366
Ugh, thanks for confirming this. After I posted I did a little Googling and found that out. I can't believe that's true, I really thought Apple would have designed that better.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2003, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by petrol:
Ugh, thanks for confirming this. After I posted I did a little Googling and found that out. I can't believe that's true, I really thought Apple would have designed that better.
You seriously thought Apple would let its customers re-download songs over and over again? Do you realize how much bandwidth that would entail? Do you know how much that would cost?

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2003, 12:23 AM

iTunes 4.1 seems to be nagware, which 4.0 wasn't. Every other time you want to hear a preview in the music store it bugs you with a "please create an account to purchase music" dialog. This is extremely annoying - not only in itself, but also because it doesn't allow me to create an account without American plastic money obviously.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2003, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by a holck:

Originally posted by Developer:
iTunes 4.1 seems to be nagware, which 4.0 wasn't. Every other time you want to hear a preview in the music store it bugs you with a "please create an account to purchase music" dialog. This is extremely annoying - not only in itself, but also because it doesn't allow me to create an account without American plastic money obviously.
I don't have this problem.

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2003, 02:33 AM

Accounts don't cost money. Just buying songs does. What do you mean?
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2003, 02:57 AM

He means, ryaxnb, that 95% of the world is still unable to create an account OR purchase songs, as the ITMS is US-only.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

petrol
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2003, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by dtriska:
You seriously thought Apple would let its customers re-download songs over and over again? Do you realize how much bandwidth that would entail? Do you know how much that would cost?
I didn't say I wanted them to let me download them "over and over again." If they allow me to have three authorized computers to play the songs on, would it really be so unreasonable to let me download them once on each computer?

Don't get me wrong, I think that the iTMS is revolutionary. I've used it lots of times before, and I will still use it lots of times. I'm just pissy because I'm not going into work again until Tuesday, so now I have to wait until then to listen to the album.

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2003, 12:07 PM

Works much faster and better on Panther 10.3 compared to 4.0.1

Seems some glitches have been fixed...
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2003, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
Does iTunes 4.1 fix the lag bug between songs on Panther?
I never had this problem running 7B85 w/ 4.0.1 on my dual G5.

4.1 runs exactly the same to me...
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Laurence
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2003, 02:56 PM

Does it fix the most annoying bug under Panther? Where one user running iTunes prevents any other user from using it? Every other program I've tried works fine, but iTunes refuses to allow multiple users to use the app at the same time. This makes the software useless in many situations. There should be a preference in iTunes or possibly the system preferences where you could choose the behavior when switching users. Either...

1. iTunes pauses the currently playing track when switching to another user.
2. iTunes continues playing when switching.
3. iTunes quits when switching

If I leave iTunes running and switch to the login panel as most people would do when leaving the computer unattended and another user comes along, they can't use iTunes at all unless they are an admin and then they can force my login to terminate and that will be really annoying if I was rendering something or downloading a large file, etc... This really needs to be addressed by Apple. If nothing else, they need to make a statement as to WHY it works the way it does!
--Laurence

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2003, 03:00 PM

finally, i can share music from my mac to enjoy it on my wintel laptop. seems a dream come true.

works flawlessly over wireless network connection
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

Truepop
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2003, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by petrol:
I didn't say I wanted them to let me download them "over and over again." If they allow me to have three authorized computers to play the songs on, would it really be so unreasonable to let me download them once on each computer?

Don't get me wrong, I think that the iTMS is revolutionary. I've used it lots of times before, and I will still use it lots of times. I'm just pissy because I'm not going into work again until Tuesday, so now I have to wait until then to listen to the album.
They don't let you do this because of contracts and such. take in point radiohead. iTMS offered some radiohead songs for about a week or two and it was even a staff pick and a few people downloaded them (I have most of their albums so I didn't need to myself) and then the songs were taken off.

Apple has to either only let everyone download the song once or have too many people say "well he can download his song twice, why couldn't you keep the contract or agreement long enough for me to download them twice?"

Personally I would like to download the songs to each of my computers (three computers now thanks iTunes Windows) but I don't have any problem with the rule or with getting them to each computer.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2003, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by ryaxnb:
Accounts don't cost money. Just buying songs does. What do you mean?
What I mean: iTunes doesn't let me create an iTMS account without a credit card with an American billing address. At the same time iTunes 4.1 now throws up a "please create an account" dialog every other time you want to play a preview. 4.0 didn't do that.
Now better explained?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2003, 07:45 PM

What I mean: iTunes doesn't let me create an iTMS account without a credit card with an American billing address. At the same time iTunes 4.1 now throws up a "please create an account" dialog every other time you want to play a preview. 4.0 didn't do that.
Now better explained?
Mine doesn't do that. It won't let me buy music but it doesn't ask me to create an account.

I'm in Toronto.

cowicide
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2003, 01:39 AM

Developer: iTunes 4.1 now throws up a "please create an account" dialog every other time you want to play a preview. 4.0 didn't do that.
FYI, My iTunes 4.0.1 is actually doing that dialog now. It doesn't matter if you update to 4.1 or not, Apple apparently made this change on its iTunes web server, not in the iTunes app itself.

lemondrop
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2003, 02:45 AM

Originally posted by cowicide:
FYI, My iTunes 4.0.1 is actually doing that dialog now. It doesn't matter if you update to 4.1 or not, Apple apparently made this change on its iTunes web server, not in the iTunes app itself.
This might be due to the fact that they want to cut-down on bandwidth used. I'm sure tons is being used to preview songs they know people can't buy. A little nagging might save tons of money. At least they aren't re-directing IP ranges to a "you can not use this store page".

It's the damn accountants.

I don't support this, just a possible explanation.
Could care less about tact..

Forum Links
Forum Rules