Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Wireless mouse for powerbook

Wireless mouse for powerbook
The Pretender
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2003, 01:55 PM

I was considering a wireless mouse for my powerbook either from kensington or logitech. Could anyone who has any of these tell me if the base station has a cord that plugs directly to a usb port? If so, I might as well go with a wired mouse.

Thanks

Mr Creosote
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2003, 02:39 PM

I just got (this week) a wireless mouse for using with my Tibook.
Its made by Targus. Not a bad little thing, mid-way in size between a mini-mouse and normal size, I have smallish hand so is fine for me, if you have very large hands it may be too small. It has two buttons and scroll wheel and scroll button. It connects via a nice small "thumb sized" radio that plugs into the USB port of the cmputer, unobtrusively. The mouse itself is silvery with black base and reasonably compliments the pb but is a little shiny. I plugged it in the Tibook and it worked straight away even though Targus dont actually say its Mac compatible. Cost me about �38UK. The mouse is powered by 2 Duracell batteries (supplied) but has no recharging facility so I have no idea how long a set of batteries will last.
It works fine PROVIDING it is VERY close to the Tibook and I mean within 9 inches of the USB port at the back. If using it with a 17inch pb you could plug the receiver into the USB port on the side nearest to which handed you are and I think it would work better. There is some blurb in their instructions that it doesnt work so well with laptops made of metal!
Even so, its not bad at all, I wouldnt want to use it all day but for occassional usage its fine, and does get rid of that damn wire.
My rating for usage with Tibook 7/10, maybe 8/10 on the 17inch.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2003, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by The Pretender:
I was considering a wireless mouse for my powerbook either from kensington or logitech. Could anyone who has any of these tell me if the base station has a cord that plugs directly to a usb port? If so, I might as well go with a wired mouse.

Thanks
If I were to get a wireless mouse, it'd be the Logitech MX700, which *does* have a base station that plugs into the USB port, and then you can put your mouse in the base station to recharge its batteries when you're not using it.

But yeah, for a notebook its not really as useful as for a desktop machine. I myself saved some cash and purchased the wired version of the MX700, the MX500, and I absolutely love it. The cumstomizable, well placed buttons are great, and its the most comfortable mouse I've ever used.

Good luck in your decision!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Aykew
Apr 10, 2003, 04:59 PM

Microsoft makes a wireless mouse that is now (with 10.2.5) compatible with the built-in bluetooth on the 12" and 17" powerbooks. Have heard it isn't the best mouse in the world, but it's probably better than the one from Targus. However, I'd go with the MS over Logitech simply for the fact that you don't have to have a base station; just pull it out and use it!

The Pretender  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2003, 05:12 PM

I've been waiting for bluetooth mouse support forever, so now hopefully this is true and the Microsoft mouse works with the built-in bluetooth on the new powerbooks.

Thanks all

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2003, 05:18 PM

I have a pocketmouse pro wireless from kensington. It's works really well (may be not as well as the MX 700) it's really small and hence portable (not like the MX 700)..Plus the color matches with powerbooks..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

cobra7869
Apr 10, 2003, 05:26 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/catalog/dis...=22&site=11495

A link for those of you curious to see the Microsoft Wireless Bluetooth Mouse. I'm not pushing Microsoft's mouse, just when I saw this discussion i was curious to see who had one. It was kind of tricky to find, so I thought I'd post it.

I don't currently own one, but I see it in my future.

catalystC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2003, 06:31 PM

This is pretty cool, that microsoft bluetooth products are supported now.

Wireless keyboards and mices that need a dongle are stupid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules