Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Who is Buying the New PowerBooks?

View Poll Results: Are you Buying The New G4 PowerBook?
Poll Options:
Yes 120 votes (47.06%)
No, Because the G5 is around the corner. 40 votes (15.69%)
No 71 votes (27.84%)
Not sure 24 votes (9.41%)
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll
Who is Buying the New PowerBooks?
jman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2005, 02:41 PM

I was really waiting for the G5 Laptops and now we're stuck with another G4 chip with a slight boost. I can't decide what to do... should I buy the 17 inch model now or wait it out 6 more months and hope that the G5 will be out by then.

I have a Prismo G3 400mhz with 768mb of ram. I can surf the web fine, but when i try to do real work like open any Adobe CS products it's a slug.

Mind you that the is my home computer and my machine at work is where i do most of my work.

Bottom line: I don't want to buy a G4 today and the G5 comes out and blows the old G4 PowerBook out of the water. I guess I'm not the only one thinking this way.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2005, 02:54 PM

I say buy the PowerBook.

6 months is a long time to suffer through using an old machine, and one of these new PBs won't significantly decrease in value when the G5 comes along. So you buy a $2500 machine now, maybe skip the Rev A G5, sell the machine you bought now in a year for ~$1500 or so and get the G5.

jman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2005, 03:32 PM

"maybe skip the Rev A G5"

You may have a very good point about skipping the Firt Generation of G5 PowerBooks. There are always bug in the first versions of any computer model.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2005, 03:44 PM

I've been thinking of doing a comeback, my last PB was a Pismo, after which I've been a desktop kinda guy at work. (I didn't want to carry work home.)

But times change and the 15" seems nice, so yeah, I'm thinking of getting one of these new models. Plenty of 23" cinema displays at work to plug into, but no 30", so no loss there

J

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2005, 03:47 PM

If I can find someone to buy my current powerbook for around $2,400 dollar (this includes all of my extras such as extra battery, extra AC Adapter, 2 years AppleCare left, etc...), then I will buy a new one.
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

Voch
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2005, 03:58 PM

I'll get the "you can get a $999 1.2Ghz iBook for the interim" suggestion out of the way.

celebyte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2005, 04:08 PM

I just ordered a PB12 with superdrive today. With another $100 drop than before + $200 education discount, I say it's a pretty good deal, and I'm glad that I waited it out.

Of course, that's only because I've been using a Powerbook Wallstreet for 4 years (which died on me a month ago)...

Like always, the keyword is justification, and in my case, I guess I can Hopefully I won't have to deal with hinge problems ever again

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2005, 04:22 PM

I don't think the G5 is as close as 6 months away.. More realistically you'd have to wait about 10 months.

"Rev A" isn't always a problem, though. They sometimes have bugs, but so do Rev B's, C's D's etc..

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2005, 04:31 PM

Wait for the G5. You say that you do most of your work on another machine so that's covered. As for internet etc. your PowerBook is plenty fast. F that rev.A whining. I know tons of people who have bought rev.A machines, including myself and none of them had "rev. A bugs" and as stated before: newer revs can have bugs too.
Do as I do and wait for the G5. G4 is outdated. I own(ed) 2 G4 machines. A PowerMac G4/400 AGP (rev.A) and a PowerBook 867 which I still use today. No G4 for me anymore but I want/need a portable. Ideally if I had the means to buy a desktop G5 + a PowerBook I would think about buying a G4 laptop again. But if it is to be my only machine, I'd rather skip the G4.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2005, 04:37 PM

The G5 is "around the corner" only if you think next January or March (2006) is "around the corner."

I would buy if I had the cash - this is finally a good enough upgrade to make me want to upgrade my tiBook 500.
cpac

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2005, 05:43 PM

I think the G5 PowerBook will be a real screamer. I also expect there to be significant updates to the graphics card and hard drive. Having said that, however, I think buying the 1st generation will be frought with peril. Getting a G5 into a laptop case is going to require some "imaginative" engineering to say the least, and the potential for glitches will be higher than in past models. It's just a bigger step than before. For a couple of grand, I want to be sure before I buy.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2005, 05:50 PM

Im definitely buying it! Finally new Powerbooks!

jman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2005, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by rambo47:
I think the G5 PowerBook will be a real screamer. I also expect there to be significant updates to the graphics card and hard drive. Having said that, however, I think buying the 1st generation will be frought with peril. Getting a G5 into a laptop case is going to require some "imaginative" engineering to say the least, and the potential for glitches will be higher than in past models. It's just a bigger step than before. For a couple of grand, I want to be sure before I buy.
They had the same obstacles in the first G4 powerbook, right?

ichibod
Jan 31, 2005, 06:24 PM

Wow, glad I sold my 17" rev A about a month ago, these are exactly what I was looking for in terms of upgrades for it, the usb 1.1 was very lame. I was lucky enough to get enough to cover a new 15", loaded. and then an extra 200 for applecare. I'm glad I waited instead of getting the 1.5ghz, I saved $300.

So yes, i'm getting one

Skyhoper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2005, 08:12 PM

After owning an iPod for over a year and watching my friends use their Macs I bought my first Apple computer today!!! I can�t wait for my Powerbook to arrive. I�ve been waiting months for new revisions to come out. I went with the 15inch 1.5Ghz.

One question though, should I buy the Apple protection plan?

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2005, 08:14 PM

I have a Rev A 12-inch, and today is the first time I've ever looked at it and said, "if only I were made of money."

My funk lasted mere seconds, though -- I'll get over it.

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2005, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by Skyhoper:
After owning an iPod for over a year and watching my friends use their Macs I bought my first Apple computer today!!! I can�t wait for my Powerbook to arrive. I�ve been waiting months for new revisions to come out. I went with the 15inch 1.5Ghz.

One question though, should I buy the Apple protection plan?
You will love it. The 15-inch is a great machine.

As for AppleCare, you should definitely buy it. But you'll get free support for, what, 90 days. And you have hardware coverage for a year. So buy it any time before the year is up. but you MUST get it before that year expires, or you're out of luck. And my screen went bad 6 weeks after the year was up. Repairs under applecare: free. Without it, it would have been hundreds of dollars.

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2005, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by bbales:
As for AppleCare, you should definitely buy it. But you'll get free support for, what, 90 days. And you have hardware coverage for a year. So buy it any time before the year is up. but you MUST get it before that year expires, or you're out of luck. And my screen went bad 6 weeks after the year was up. Repairs under applecare: free. Without it, it would have been hundreds of dollars.
Ditto. I just had my Superdrive replaced on my 18-month old iMac. Free under Apple Care. Would have cost almost $500 otherwise.

Another story �_my roommate had a 900 mhz G3 iBook that was a bit of a lemon. He just got it replaced for free, and they upgraded him to the latest G4 iBook. Again, thanks to Apple Care.

It's definitely worth it.

elfer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2005, 09:31 PM

Boy, I'd love one too. I have a 1Gig 17" PB currently, but I am interested in upgrading. However, I am surprised that nobody has mentioned "Tiger" in this threat as a reason to hold off? I mean, it is possible that "Tiger" is coming out in the coming 4-8 weeks. If I buy the Powerbook now, then I'll have to pay again to get Tiger. It seems prudent to wait for a few weeks and (hopefully) get Tiger preinstalled on a new Powerbook.

Right?

elfer

Fiete5401
Jan 31, 2005, 09:35 PM

Ordered a 17"-PowerBook with APP today.
I'll upgrade the RAM to 2 Gigs.

Uh, my rev. a 12"-PB looks a bit ugly now.
My real life started at the age of 15: LC III - PowerMac 6100/66 - PowerMac B&W 350 - PowerMac G4 Cube 500 - PowerBook 12" 867 -- PowerBook 17"/1.67 GHz/2 GB RAM.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2005, 09:43 PM

If by "Around the corner" you mean next January.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2005, 10:46 PM

Okay, so I'm definitely tempted by these new PowerBooks. Some pros and cons for me (I'm mostly ignoring specs in this post)...

Con:[list=1][*]G5 PowerBooks -- they are inevitable. I know it's unlikely, but if they come out before August, I'll be kicking myself.[*]Even though G5s still seem a long way off, are the new Bluetooth, trackpad scrolling, SMS, etc., really just gimmicky add-ons to juice sales while the final kinks are worked out of the G5s? (If so, you've gotta admit they are pretty decent gimmicks.)[*]I'll probably buy a companion Apple display, though the 20" is bigger than I need. I'd really be happy with a 17". A little help, Steve??[*]No backlit keyboard on the 12" (what I'll most likely get). Not a deal breaker, though. Frankly, in low light but not darkness when the backlight just clicks on, the keyboard on my brother's 15" is actually harder to see because there's very little contrast between the lights and the aluminum.[*]I don't NEED a new computer right now (but I will before next school year starts in August -- see below).[*]Tiger -- if I do wait till this summer, presumably I'll get Tiger for free instead of having to pay extra. Though, if it's priced like Panther was that's only $70 academic pricing. (I know, I know, who knows if it will be? And I know I don't HAVE to upgrade. But I do have to, if you know what I mean.) [/list=1]

Pro:[list=1][*]Despite what others say, these seem fairly well-equipped. And are a bit cheaper than yesterday, which is always nice.[*]I'll be replacing my 500 mhz G3 iBook and a 1.25 ghz G4 iMac with a PowerBook sometime before next school year starts in August -- moving now-ish means I get a little bit more for these old computers on eBay.[*]100 GB drive is very welcome -- not quite as roomy as my 160 internal in my iMac, but it's more than I'm currently using, and not being very tidy about at that. Plus I have lots of external storage.[*]I'm always someone with the buyer's remorse when the next revision comes out. If I buy in the next couple of weeks, I presumably get to maximize my happy time before that sinking feeling sets in.[*]G5 PowerBooks are inevitable, but I'm getting more and more skeptical of them coming out ANY time soon. I'm really starting to think that moving now will not only be good immediate gratification, but also position me well for a Rev. C or so G5 PowerBook in 24-36 months.[/list=1]

I definitely think it's good advice to buy when you need a computer, and not wait too long for the unknown or even rumored update. But how about when you don't NEED a computer (but will soon?). Really, I'm just very indecisive and looking for validation.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2005, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by beverson:
Okay, so I'm definitely tempted by these new PowerBooks. Some pros and cons for me (I'm mostly ignoring specs in this post)...

Con:[list=1][*]G5 PowerBooks -- they are inevitable. I know it's unlikely, but if they come out before August, I'll be kicking myself.[*]Even though G5s still seem a long way off, are the new Bluetooth, trackpad scrolling, SMS, etc., really just gimmicky add-ons to juice sales while the final kinks are worked out of the G5s? (If so, you've gotta admit they are pretty decent gimmicks.)[*]I'll probably buy a companion Apple display, though the 20" is bigger than I need. I'd really be happy with a 17". A little help, Steve??[*]No backlit keyboard on the 12" (what I'll most likely get). Not a deal breaker, though. Frankly, in low light but not darkness when the backlight just clicks on, the keyboard on my brother's 15" is actually harder to see because there's very little contrast between the lights and the aluminum.[*]I don't NEED a new computer right now (but I will before next school year starts in August -- see below).[*]Tiger -- if I do wait till this summer, presumably I'll get Tiger for free instead of having to pay extra. Though, if it's priced like Panther was that's only $70 academic pricing. (I know, I know, who knows if it will be? And I know I don't HAVE to upgrade. But I do have to, if you know what I mean.) [/list=1]

Pro:[list=1][*]Despite what others say, these seem fairly well-equipped. And are a bit cheaper than yesterday, which is always nice.[*]I'll be replacing my 500 mhz G3 iBook and a 1.25 ghz G4 iMac with a PowerBook sometime before next school year starts in August -- moving now-ish means I get a little bit more for these old computers on eBay.[*]100 GB drive is very welcome -- not quite as roomy as my 160 internal in my iMac, but it's more than I'm currently using, and not being very tidy about at that. Plus I have lots of external storage.[*]I'm always someone with the buyer's remorse when the next revision comes out. If I buy in the next couple of weeks, I presumably get to maximize my happy time before that sinking feeling sets in.[*]G5 PowerBooks are inevitable, but I'm getting more and more skeptical of them coming out ANY time soon. I'm really starting to think that moving now will not only be good immediate gratification, but also position me well for a Rev. C or so G5 PowerBook in 24-36 months.[/list=1]

I definitely think it's good advice to buy when you need a computer, and not wait too long for the unknown or even rumored update. But how about when you don't NEED a computer (but will soon?). Really, I'm just very indecisive and looking for validation.
Just go buy one........ they're great just a they are.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2005, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by UnixMac:
Just go buy one........ they're great just a they are.

d

PowerBookOwner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2005, 01:11 AM

Originally posted by Goldfinger:
Wait for the G5.
Then he will have a LONG wait.

Does anyone really think that Apple will get a full G5 chip into a 15" PowerBook without the heat problems?!?!

Just look at the heat in the PowerMacs and iMacs! And the numerous and loud fans to keep it all cool.

Be realistic.

The G5 chip as you know it today will not be in a PowerBook. IBM will have to come out with a G5 "mobile" version (similar to the Pentium M series) that will be underpowered and cooler. And if the G5 is barely beating out the G4 in many benchmarks, then even that small lead is reduced (when you go "mobile" edition) and you are right back to G4 performance.

I believe that you won't see ANY type of G5 chip in the PowerBook line until AT LEAST the WWDC in 2006.

Remember all those who predicted that the PowerMac 3.0 gHz G5 would be released around this time last year? Yeah. And were is that now? Exactly. And the 2.5 is simply an over-clocked 2.0 with water-cooling. Who were they kidding?

Many WinTel laptops have a full Pentium 4 in them, but look how large they are and how many fans they have running (i.e. loud and annoying). That is why the Pentium M (part of the Centrino spec) was designed. Is that what you want? A huge bulky and loud PowerBook just so you can get your beloved G5? It boggles the mind how people somehow think that Apple can squeeze a G5 1.6 gHz into a PowerBook 12" AND keep it cool AND keep the fan from coming on non-stop.

Again, IBM will have to come up with a scaled down version of the G5 for the PowerBook. This means performance sacrifices in the beginning.

IMHO, you will see yet one more G4 speed-bump (or maybe even a dual-core G4) from those released this week before you see a G5 PowerBook.

But all is not lost......

There will be a G5 Mobile Edition in the PowerBooks one day, just not anytime soon. And Apple has already told everyone that already.

PowerBook G5 - A Thermal Challenge

I say buy your new G4 PowerBook and enjoy it!

( Last edited by PowerBookOwner; Feb 1, 2005 at 01:16 AM. )
14" iBook G4 1.42 gHz 60 gig HD w/SuperDrive

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2005, 01:30 AM

not enough upgrades for me to move up.
iamwhor3hay

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Feb 1, 2005, 02:08 AM

I would of thought you had been more realistic with your software selection and didn't buy CS for your Pismo. Nevertheless,I like the 12 inch model Powerbook specs but the iBook looks in the same league to me. So I've decided to go the other direction and buy an iMac G5

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2005, 02:10 AM

Go for it, the g4 is still a good chip.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2005, 02:34 AM

Originally posted by beverson:
[*]G5 PowerBooks -- they are inevitable. I know it's unlikely, but if they come out before August, I'll be kicking myself.
Don't worry, if it does come out by then I will buy you one
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

RonnieoftheRose
Feb 1, 2005, 03:41 AM

I'm debating getting the 12" because I certainly don't need a G5 for a small factor notebook or a DVD-R. The latest version is a very good deal and ready to run out of the box with no need to upgrade the memory.

wilsonng
Senior User
Feb 1, 2005, 04:12 AM

I believe that if you're upgrading from an older PB or Mac, then these PBs are great deals. However if you have something more recent like the Rev. C PBs then these won't excite you at all as they would be more modest updates.

My wife has a white G3 iBook 600 Mh and these new PBs are such a leap ahead that they are definitely a good jump for her.

If you can live with your current PB for another year, I'd suggest stay with it. We're all gonna be in for a long wait for the "Next Big Thing" aka the G5 PowerBook. We'll be spinning our wheels, churning our stomachs, and griping about when Apple is gonna release the G5 PBs.

If you need to get work done now then stop grinding your teeth and get these PBs. The standard 5400 RPM hard drives and 512 MBs of RAM make these a great buy.

The more time we waste sitting on our hands waiting for G5 PBs, the more we lose if we sit and do nothing.

I can't wait for the G5 PBs and I need work done now so I'd rather get one of these new bad boys in my hands.

gyc
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2005, 04:16 AM

I'm buying a 1.67GHz 15" to replace my aging Pismo. My reasons for buying now instead of waiting for a G5:

1. My Pismo is basically falling apart so I need a new laptop pretty badly

2. Going from a 400MHz G3 to a 1.67GHz G4 is going to more than satiate my need for speed.

3. I'll be buying a machine that's fairly mature and has just about all of its bugs worked out instead of a rev A G5 that's bound to have at least some minor problems at first, and I'm not patient enough to wait for a PB G5 rev B.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2005, 05:14 AM

I'm buying a new 1.5 GHz 12" or 1.67 GHz 15" to replace my rev B 1 GHz 12". I figure this is the last generation of 744x Al PowerBooks and I don't want to beta-test the rev A of the next line (probably rather 7448 than G5).

Depending on fan nosie when in closed-lid mode I'll get either the 12" or the 15". Although the 15" will definitely perform a lot better in games.
•

powermacj7
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2005, 06:53 AM

I am still using my 800mhz PB. Although I am not a power user, this old PB still plugs along well enough for daily use. I think the new PB upgrades are great. In my opinion, If I needed a new computer today buy today. If I plan to purchase another one in six months or so, then wait. The G4 processor is more than adequate for both pro and standard users.
The G5 powerbooks are not going to be out soon, that is clear now that Apple has upgraded the current line. You need a new computer, buy now. Just my two cents.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2005, 07:43 AM

I'm with those who expect 2006 for the G5s. ...especially for the RevB. And with the likely experimentation Apple will have to do for COOLING the G5, I'd really not want to but a Rev A - at least not till they had several months of track record.

About RAM... I know 512 is an improvement. But does anyone know about the config? Is that one DIMM? Does it come with another slot where 1GB can be added? (by *user*?)

Also, how about user-upgradeability of the HD? (I know that has varied across other PB G4 models)
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

zzarg
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2005, 07:46 AM

I'm trying to decide to get a 15" now (to replace a 867Mhz Rev.A 12") but wish they'd announce it's shipping with Tiger to save me an upgrade fee !
Actually, my biggest issue is that the casing will suffer from sweaty wrists and pit like the 12" does

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2005, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Don't worry, if it does come out by then I will buy you one
DEAL!! Thanks 3PO!

Originally posted by Love Calm Quiet:
About RAM... I know 512 is an improvement. But does anyone know about the config? Is that one DIMM? Does it come with another slot where 1GB can be added? (by *user*?)
It appears that the 12" is like the iBooks -- only one upgradable slot. If you put 1 GB in there, that means 1.25 GB of RAM. Even though I have 1 GB total in my iMac right now (which I'll be getting rid of), I'll probably get a 12" but with 768 MB total -- it's actually cheaper right now to upgrade the upgradable slot from 256 to 512 from Apple than to upgrade it myself, which is a big surprise. In a year or so when 1 GB sticks have come down a bit in price, I'll upgrade that and the machine will feel a bit snappier, helping to tide me over for a while. On the other hand, it appears that the 15" and 17" models have two upgradable slots, and the stock 512 MB of RAM is just taking up one slot. Even though I'm leaning towards a 12", the change in standard RAM config is a little better on the larger PowerBooks.

So right now I'm leaning towards a maxed-out 12" with a 20" Cinema Display. In EDU pricing, this is only about $200 more than a mostly maxed-out 15", sans extra display. And the display will surely last through the next PowerBook upgrade I'll be agonizing over in 2-4 years. I must admit, I'm still wavering a bit -- saving $200 and getting a slightly better (but less portable) computer is also tempting.

J_Anderton
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2005, 09:42 AM

I've made my decision to buy one of these Powerbooks over the iBooks. Definitely worth the extra $$$.

BUT, which Powerbook? The prices have dropped and the upgrades are very nice, IMHO.

Coming from a P4 2.2GHz, 15" widescreen, 40GB, 512MB Windows XP laptop...

Do I go for the 12" Combo model, 12" Superdrive model, or the 15" Combo model for $1799 (EDU Discount)???

Now, that's what I'm debating about. I LOOOOOVE the 12" form factor, but already have a 15" widescreen laptop now, will it be difficult for me to go back to 12" or just pay the extra $400-$500 more for the 15"?

Decisions, decisions to make.

jman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2005, 10:10 AM

i find the 12 very hard to get used to. The 15 is really the smallest screen i would want because i do a lot of design work.

Dr.Michael
Feb 1, 2005, 10:21 AM

Ok, look at apples policy in the past:

Computer lines with new processors have not been faster than the speed bumps of the old processor line.

G3-G4: I had a Powerbook Pismo 500 and Ti 500. Ti was faster in Video encoding. Thats all. The rest was same as the Pismo.

G4 to G5 Powermac. You will find very small speed increase between the last G4 Powermac and the first G5.

The same will happen with the g5 Powerbook. You can buy it for the coolness factor. Maybe it has some nice new features like 13 inch widescreen. Maybe only the 17 inch model will get a g5 because of the heat problems.
But in the end you get what you always get with a rev. a: A new toy with problems.

I recommend to buy the top model of the last line, enjoy highest quality, mature design and best speed. And wait until the next gen has gone through at least one revision.

That means: buy now unless you can wait at least 8 more months for the rev b of the g5. This line will be the top g4 powerbook.
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; Feb 1, 2005 at 10:27 AM. )

cpac
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2005, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by Dr.Michael:
That means: buy now unless you can wait at least 8 more months for the rev b of the g5. This line will be the top g4 powerbook.
Use less crack.

There is not a chance in HELL that a G5 powerbook will be into its second revision in 8 months time.

I doubt we'll see rev A before MWSF 2006, and maybe even later.
cpac

Dougmc
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2005, 11:17 AM

I'm personally going to keep my rev. A 17" and invest some more money into it�upgrade the hard drive, max out the RAM, and then use it. As long as I spend much less on upgrading this machine compared to what it would cost for me to sell it and buy a new one, it makes more sense in my case.

Since this machine is not quite two-years old, I feel that I've not used all of its equity. And, by improving the machine with the most current technology I can through upgrade options, I hope to better maintain its resale value.

Other than having a hard drive die in this machine 9 months after I bought it, it's been pretty much flawless in performance.
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

x user
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2005, 11:19 AM

I also think the current 12" is a pretty good deal since they bumped the bus speed (DDR333 instead of 266) or am I the only one that noticed that?

So from what I see I can't use my 512mb from my rev.B in the new Rev.D's. Which is fine with me really.

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2005, 11:27 AM

I'll pass.

The only thing that I like about the new ones are 8X DVD and faster graphics card. I just don't see 1.67 being all that much of a speed increase over my 1.33.

I just have too much in upgrades to warrant the pain of moving into a new machine. 2GB of ram, 7200 rpm drive, etc.

I think I will get 3 years out of mine before I upgrade as I am waiting on a rev-b G5.
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

x user
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2005, 12:12 PM

I also think the current 12" is a pretty good deal since they bumped the bus speed (DDR333 instead of 266) or am I the only one that noticed that?

So from what I see I can't use my 512mb from my rev.B in the new Rev.D's. Which is fine with me really.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2005, 01:32 PM

After telling my fiancee since last October to wait for new PBs to upgrade from her iBook/700, we're walking into the Apple Store and buying a 17" as soon as they arrive.

Thank God.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

cobra7869
Feb 1, 2005, 01:35 PM

I currently have Rev. A, 12" PowerBook 867Mhz, with 640MB RAM. Considering new 15" Super or 17".

Thoughts? Most folks have the 1.33 and are saying they are not gonna upgrade, which I understand.

BUT, I'm currently at 133 system bus, 40 gig HD (about maxed out), and my fan runs with iLife 05'.

Your feedback would be much appreciated.
PowerBook G4 (12-inch): (Rev A) Current Mac
Original iPod, 15GB 3rd Gen, Two iPod Minis (Silver and Pink(for the wife))

henrytaylor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2005, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by elfer:
Boy, I'd love one too. I have a 1Gig 17" PB currently, but I am interested in upgrading. However, I am surprised that nobody has mentioned "Tiger" in this threat as a reason to hold off? I mean, it is possible that "Tiger" is coming out in the coming 4-8 weeks. If I buy the Powerbook now, then I'll have to pay again to get Tiger. It seems prudent to wait for a few weeks and (hopefully) get Tiger preinstalled on a new Powerbook.

Right?

elfer
Exactly. Tiger is a good consideration. The updates are of note to any who don't have a PB or use an older (RevA) PB. I like the upgrades and will get one, when Tiger comes out.

wilsonng
Senior User
Feb 1, 2005, 06:35 PM

When I'm on the road, I use mostly Microsoft office, internet, and e-mail. I use PowerPoint mostly to hook up to LCD projectors for presentations when I'm at a client's office.

When I get back to the office, I connect it to my 19" external and then do design work via dual monitor spanning.

That's how I get around.

In any case, the 12" screen forced me to learn Expose. Now I use Expose when I'm connected to my 19" monitor as well.

If you have to do design work on the road then get the 15". Otherwise the 12" is just fine for people that don't do design work outside of the office.

Originally posted by jman:
i find the 12 very hard to get used to. The 15 is really the smallest screen i would want because i do a lot of design work.

Dr.Michael
Feb 2, 2005, 05:13 AM

Originally posted by cpac:
Use less crack.

There is not a chance in HELL that a G5 powerbook will be into its second revision in 8 months time.

I doubt we'll see rev A before MWSF 2006, and maybe even later.
I usually don't use crack.
But you are right. Looking at the revision history from the beginning of the last rev of line x to the second revision of line x+1 it took apple 18-20+ months.
So 8 might have been too optimistic. But the conclusion is true anyway.

Forum Links
Forum Rules