Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > ~ The official Tiger buglist

~ The official Tiger buglist (Page 10)
glyph
May 15, 2005, 04:49 PM

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but I've found and annoyance/bug in Finder.

I set a folder preference (permission) to 'no access' on a folder and when browsing the folder in column view, the 'Preview:' pane under 'Last Opened' reads: 'Fetching...' and remains that way. Similarly, if I select 'More Info' from this pane or from the 'Get Info' - in the Info box under 'More Info' reads the same - except it has the little spinning animated icon also. It just hangs there in the fetch mode.

it would be nice if it didn't hang there and instead said: 'access denied' or something like that.
( Last edited by glyph; May 15, 2005 at 05:07 PM. Reason: (clarification))

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 15, 2005, 04:59 PM

They still haven't gotten automatic folder resizing fixed yet. In fact, they made it worse!

When you click on the green + on a Folder, it is SUPPOSED to resize to the exact contents of the window. Like any good content centric app.

Before Panther, it didn't work well at all.

In Panther it was almost fixed, but still really bad. It would resize to about 2 pixels too little and cause the icons to wrap to the next line defeating the damn purpose of the button!

So I hoped in Tiger they'd FINALLY get this right....

Not one damn bit. Not one. It is even WORSE! Sometimes it even refuses to resize bigger. It forgets the contents changed and resizes to an older size. Or it resizes 5 pixels too big. It plain sucks the donkey's ass and I am really disappointed in Apple. The Finder is even worse than it was in Panther. And when Panther came out, as well as now, I really hate the damn brushed metal layout version of folders. They take up too much space. I don't need a SideBar much. I wish I could globally turn it off. I also remember a time when I could put toolbars in the regular folder window. OTOH, I do like single window mode once in a while. But sometimes I wish it worked the old way in which one folder would open while the previous closed behind it. That way it could preserve the folders size settings. Something that gets ignored when in the metal single window view.

The Finder needs to be fixed badly. Not only resizing problems, but the constant crashing when working with folders full of icons with previews turned on. Especially the desktop. I want icons on the desktop to have previews, but have to keep them off because if I try to move a file or something, it crashes.

Or moving files via a smart folder/Finder search into a folder not contained within the searches parameters also crashes the Finder.

it's a PAIN IN THE A. A big PITA. How can stuff like this go unnoticed for 2.5 years?

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2005, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jasoco
Do you have a Backup HD? Mounted? Does it have apps on it?

That's probably it.
Yes I do but it's not mounted or even connected (it's a lacie firwire).
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 15, 2005, 05:12 PM

Hmm.. It's as if it's caching the backup wven when it's gone.

So you say there's two of every app? Try searching for one of the apps and see if it brings up a copy somewhere. If it does, see if there's a copy of all of them there. If not, then it seems it's got cache problems. Try clearing some cache.

BasiaMille
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2005, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by gvmelbrty
Bug (reported to Apple):

When booting, waking from sleep or upon plug-in, USB barcode scanners, such as the cheapie CueCat, cause a dialog to pop-up asking you to identify an "extra" keyboard.

(This issue was not present on any 10.3.x version)

-t
I just resolved the issue on my system. True, it says it won't do anything until you press a key on your new keyboard. At that point, just scan a barcode with the scanner. It'll then ask you which type of keyboard it is, and say ANSI US. There you go, it works.

Good Luck,

Craig Sherman
At Home With Technology
[email protected]

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2005, 10:34 PM

Not sure if it's Preview, or iPhoto 5, but images rotated in Preview, then imported into iPhoto show the preview correctly, but the image itself is still sideways.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 15, 2005, 11:27 PM

After taking a whole bunch of screengrabs, the Finder got confused, and put a "Desktop" folder on my Desktop, that had my Desktop in it.

(Larger version)

Barked
May 16, 2005, 10:25 AM

I have had major problems getting iChat to work with iSight. I keep getting bandwidth errors (with 3550kbps down and nearly 400 up) or messages telling me the video chat did not start because i didn't respond (to a video chat i initiated).

At first i thought maybe i had misconfigured my router, but booted into my panther partition and it worked fine. With all of the hype about multiple video conference capabilities, you would think apple would've fixed this bug.

rytc
Senior User
May 16, 2005, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kristoff
Weather widget shows weather for Phoenix, NY by default for people in Phoenix, AZ--which is rather amusing considering the difference
And for people living in Zurich the default is some Zurich in the US I assume - I can only get the real Zurich by typing "Zurich, Switzerland"

The weather widget also ignores the system preferences in terms of measuring systems used, I have to manually change to ˚C every time I add a new weather widget, default is ˚F - despite my system default being ˚C.
( Last edited by rytc; May 16, 2005 at 02:25 PM. )

rytc
Senior User
May 16, 2005, 01:01 PM

The "Starting Mac OS X" text on the boot screen (on my PB at least) is pixellated and not antialiased - wasn't like this in 10.3

rytc
Senior User
May 16, 2005, 02:24 PM

The flight tracker is screwy on my laptop too - has anyone experienced this?

EDIT: New users created on my laptop do not have this issue - so not a Tiger bug per se.
( Last edited by rytc; May 16, 2005 at 03:21 PM. )

rytc
Senior User
May 16, 2005, 02:47 PM

When in Month view in iCal with the preference to "Show the time in month view" selected, edited any appointments causes an extra time to be added, each and every time you edit them. See image, this was after editing the appointment 4 times.

EDIT: I can confirm all new users created on my laptop have this issue in iCal.
( Last edited by rytc; May 16, 2005 at 03:22 PM. )

rytc
Senior User
May 16, 2005, 02:50 PM

Out of interest do Apple actually monitor threads such as this or only look at submitted bug reports?

rytc
Senior User
May 16, 2005, 03:02 PM

I'd find it hard to believe that this is a bug affecting many people, however, ever since 10.4 I can no longer create new users. Adding a new user in the accounts pane leads to the creation of a new user's home folder, however, this new user does not appear in the Accounts pref pane nor in the login window. : /

EDIT: Rebooting, and running permissions repair solved this
( Last edited by rytc; May 16, 2005 at 03:20 PM. )

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2005, 03:15 PM

Hmm.. It's as if it's caching the backup wven when it's gone.

So you say there's two of every app? Try searching for one of the apps and see if it brings up a copy somewhere. If it does, see if there's a copy of all of them there. If not, then it seems it's got cache problems. Try clearing some cache.
Tried deleting all caches with Cocktail but it doesn't solve the problem. I also checked for double copies of the programmes but no luck there either. Since I am having several other problems (stops halfway through printing a doc, keeps droping the internet connection while roaming with airport etc) I guess I am going to have to do a clean install.

Thanks for the ideas though.
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

insha
Senior User
May 16, 2005, 07:35 PM

No sure if you guys/gals know or not. The update is out for 10.4 and we are now officially in 10.4.1.

Did anyone apply this update? Any sideeffects? Which bugs has been fixed with this update?

Chris Grande
Senior User
May 16, 2005, 07:56 PM

I'm currently at work, I hope it fixes my strange color issues my 1st Gen 17" PowerBook when I get home.

Installed it here... testing now.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by MacMan4000
This might have been mentioned in the previous 9 pages, but I don't have time to read em all.

In Preview I can't use the hand tool anymore unless i have a selection made... that really pisses me off. and the arrow keys wont scroll the picture either, thus forcing you to click the scroll bar arrows or drag the scroll bar itself. i hate that. I want my hand tool back :'(

Luckily I have an entire hard drive backup of my 10.3.9 install, apps and all. So i will be using the old version of Preview until this issue is fixed.
damn. 10.4.1 didn't fix this.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 02:07 AM

I still have LAServer and mds killing my CPU in 10.4.1

gFizzle22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 02:07 AM

Bluetooth seems to be pretty buggy. Everytime I reset the computer, I loose pairing with my mouse. However after updating to 10.4.1 the problem hasn't come up after a few restarts, so maybe it's fixed.

Overall, I'm pretty with Tiger. Everything seems faster and snappier on my DP G5.

JKT
Professional Poster
May 17, 2005, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by rytc
The "Starting Mac OS X" text on the boot screen (on my PB at least) is pixellated and not antialiased - wasn't like this in 10.3
I suspect it is because it is using the CRT appearance setting and default LCD colour profile (which is tremendously washed out on my PB and unusable) for the startup stages. Ideally, it should use the settings of the admin user, but it doesn't. I think the only way to change this would be to activate and log in as root which is hardly desirable.

mactropolis
Senior User
May 18, 2005, 07:38 AM

Apologies in advance: Recent Tiger upgrade-ee here, so i'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this or not, but if you set Terminal.app as one of your Login Items (Sys Prefs > Accounts) and set the checkbox to "Hide" it, Terminal will not be hidden upon login. Testing it with lots of other appliactions, it appears that only Terminal doesn't get the message to be hidden. Is their a quick work-around for this, such as an AppleScript that would run after Terminal to "Hide All" in the Finder?

I've also noticed that Tiger ignores the "Hide" option on documents (eg. RTF files opened by TextEdit) placed as Login Items.
( Last edited by mactropolis; May 18, 2005 at 08:10 AM. )
Death To Extremists!

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by mactropolis
if you set Terminal.app as one of your Login Items (Sys Prefs > Accounts) and set the checkbox to "Hide" it, Terminal will not be hidden upon login. Testing it with lots of other appliactions, it appears that only Terminal doesn't get the message to be hidden.
Ditto Mail.

cgc
Professional Poster
May 18, 2005, 04:33 PM

Safari redraw is terrible (I see blank spaces when I scroll) and Safari no longer works on my online college.

mactropolis
Senior User
May 19, 2005, 03:43 PM

Something else i noticed in the 10.4.1 update is that you can't use the mouse scroolwheel to browse the menu items like in 10.4.0. Is this is bugfix or a broken feature?
Death To Extremists!

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2005, 04:00 PM

That's odd. It still works in drop-down menus in Safari, but not in other apps. This better be a bug and not intentional.

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

Souljah
May 19, 2005, 04:10 PM

Looks like 10.4.1 broke some tcp/ip issues. :-(
G5 DP 1.8 Rev.B 3g Ram
20" Apple Cinema.
Tigger 10.4.1

danny_gasperini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2005, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by rytc
I, too, noticed this from 10.4.0. Looks crappy!

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2005, 06:12 AM

waking from sleep problems.

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2005, 06:13 AM

wireless printing

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2005, 10:44 AM

My Dashboard just crash while switching locations

glyph
May 28, 2005, 02:04 PM

my system auto-logged on despite having my prefs set to password log-in and my prefs being locked. that is - the settings changed on me.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2005, 03:36 PM

iChat:

When you and one other person are in a text chat and they go offline, the input box no longer closes.

ApplCmptrDood
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2005, 07:24 PM

i have the same as the person above. I don't think it's a bug though.
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2005, 08:52 PM

It's not. It actually addresses a complaint people had about other clients not working properly or something.

It's a compatibility feature.

ApplCmptrDood
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2005, 09:57 PM

OK. I'm ok with it actually, on my laptop which has Panther, whenever someone signed off and i went to do "command-w" it wouldn't let me, I'm fine with it being the way it is now in Tiger.
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

Severed Hand of Skywalker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by ZXspectrum
wireless printing
Thanks for being so specific, very helpful.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

jjs357
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2005, 10:44 PM

Just noticed that in my Al Powerbook (1.5Ghz/1GB) running OS X 10.4.1 that the backlighting controls are no longer operative. They were operative under Panther and I did not check whether they worked under 10.4.

Are other folks running 10.4.1 having trouble with these keys? I checked the control panel and the keyboard is set to respond to these keys. The volume control keys work. I do see the brightness control image come up but the "no" icon is shown (circle with a diagonal line through).

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2005, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by jjs357
Just noticed that in my Al Powerbook (1.5Ghz/1GB) running OS X 10.4.1 that the backlighting controls are no longer operative. They were operative under Panther and I did not check whether they worked under 10.4.

Are other folks running 10.4.1 having trouble with these keys? I checked the control panel and the keyboard is set to respond to these keys. The volume control keys work. I do see the brightness control image come up but the "no" icon is shown (circle with a diagonal line through).
no problems here either previously on 10.4.0 or with 10.4.1. I did however have this problem for a while on 10.3.1 but that turned out to be a hardware problem that apple fixed when i sent them back my powerbook for repair

sebaz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2005, 07:51 PM

When you activate dashboard, as it is been activated you click an hold in your mouse you can open items in the menu bar. The menus will be rendered on top of the Dashboard layer.

I don't think this is too much of a wanted featured per-say.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2005, 01:52 AM

It's a bug, besides, who activates Dashboard while clicking a menu?

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2005, 07:33 AM

It's a bug, besides, who activates Dashboard while clicking a menu?
The bug is that you can accidentally activate menus while in Dashboard mode, not the other way around. I.e. if you have a widget at the top of the screen and need to click its uppermost region, you get click-through to the menubar in the background.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2005, 07:53 AM

My 10.4.1 doesn't have that bug. If I click on a menu item while Dashboard is activated, it just disappears again. Just the way it should be I guess.

sebaz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2005, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
My 10.4.1 doesn't have that bug. If I click on a menu item while Dashboard is activated, it just disappears again. Just the way it should be I guess.
Try this. Click and hold on your mouse and then press F12 to activate Dashboard. While still holding the click, move the pointer to your menu bar.

I notice this work as well if you do a click and hold on a window as if you were to move it around, and then activate Dashboard. You are able to move the window around while dashboard is active.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2005, 12:50 PM

Simon - the issue with menubar and Dashboard occurs if you place a widget at the top of the screen and then click the widget - that click will pass through to the menubar below and the menu item will pop-up if there is one below the click.

You can see this with the weather widget - drag one to the top (so that it lies over the right side of the menubar, over some menubar items) and click that widget near the top - which is something you would conceivably do to display the five day forecast... if you clicked it in the area covering a menubar item notice how its menu is displayed (which may take a few seconds to occur, fwiw).

Sidenote:

The iChat (Not Responding) issue is apparently not a problem and can be ignored.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2005, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by JKT
Simon - the issue with menubar and Dashboard occurs if you place a widget at the top of the screen and then click the widget - that click will pass through to the menubar below and the menu item will pop-up if there is one below the click.

You can see this with the weather widget - drag one to the top (so that it lies over the right side of the menubar, over some menubar items) and click that widget near the top - which is something you would conceivably do to display the five day forecast... if you clicked it in the area covering a menubar item notice how its menu is displayed (which may take a few seconds to occur, fwiw).
I can reproduce this on my system.

Hinson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2005, 08:37 AM

In the finder, in column view, when you move the mouse over a separator to resize the column width, it does not change to the resize cursor until you actually click. Bad form!

While were at it, this is one of those rare occasions where the MacOS could learn something from Windows: I'd like to be able to double-click the separator line to have the column automatically size to fit the information in the column.

Oh well... for now, I'd settle for having the cursor give the proper feedback when you hover over the separator bar. Let's work on those used-to-work-fine details, Apple!

-Jay

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2005, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hinson
I'd like to be able to double-click the separator line to have the column automatically size to fit the information in the column.y
OPTION-double-click.

Chris

Hinson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2005, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by hinson
I'd like to be able to double-click the separator line to have the column automatically size to fit the information in the column
Originally Posted by chabig
OPTION-double-click.

Chris

Really? Hmmm... I tried it and it didn't work for me. Am I missing something?

-Jason

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2005, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Hinson
Really? Hmmm... I tried it and it didn't work for me. Am I missing something?

-Jason
No. I did. COMMAND-double-click adjusts one column width to fit. OPTION-double-click makes all columns the same width adjusted to fit the widest content.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules