Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > World of Warcraft Beta Test has begun...

World of Warcraft Beta Test has begun... (Page 6)
Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 25, 2004, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by gbafan:
I can throw down hosting, for free. Let me know.
I've got a pretty good host, for now. 1.6GB space and 40GB bandwidth per month. I'm currently using about 1/2 of that. How does that compare with yours?

redJag
Senior User
May 25, 2004, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
I've got a pretty good host, for now. 1.6GB space and 40GB bandwidth per month. I'm currently using about 1/2 of that. How does that compare with yours?
I think his emphasis was on the free part. I could also host it for free. Mine is only 500MB of space and 5GB per month of traffic, but should be plenty for the site.
Travis Sanderson

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2004, 07:01 PM

This game is just amazing, man! I started playing at 11am and found myself still playing at 6pm. Luckily, there's no important stuffs to do today *whew*

This game:

redJag
Senior User
May 25, 2004, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
This game is just amazing, man! I started playing at 11am and found myself still playing at 6pm. Luckily, there's no important stuffs to do today *whew*

This game:
well geez, take a time out to put your info on the character thread!
Travis Sanderson

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2004, 09:12 PM

Sadly, I'm going to be on vacation starting on Friday for about a week. So, I think it might be better to quicken the pace a little with the tabards. How about everyone posts their design ideas by Wednesday? The vote could then start on Thursday, and on Friday, we buy the tabard.

Does that work for everyone?

P.S. Van Cleef finally felt the sharpness of my blade, and I have his head to prove it! That bastard...
Works for me.

And Van Cleef can kiss my big white arse. It felt so good to finally defeat him this push!

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 12:11 AM

So after 1 day in the beta I'm really enjoying the game (Krasher is a level 8 dwarf warrior now), but I still get my ass handed to me regularly, and I have to walk a zillion miles back to my corpse.

What's the solution? Am I just fighting out of my league? I do fine against most things one on one, but when 2 or three attack me I'm always toast.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2004, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
So after 1 day in the beta I'm really enjoying the game (Krasher is a level 8 dwarf warrior now), but I still get my ass handed to me regularly, and I have to walk a zillion miles back to my corpse.

What's the solution? Am I just fighting out of my league? I do fine against most things one on one, but when 2 or three attack me I'm always toast.
Solution: Group, or don't fight things that are at your level or a bit higher, buz if they swarm, you are a gonner.

Grouping is fun.

-Owl

Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2004, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:

I think its a bit harder to solo at early levels. But as you get higher in level, you get more skills and more weapons against the mobs which allow you to solo more easily. Grouping is almost always a better way to do quests. But I find myself dying a lot less as my level gets higher.

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 01:50 AM

Alright, I have registered dogcows.net. The nameservers should pick it up within 24 hours. At that point, I can stick up a rudimentary site and forums!

-Q-
May 26, 2004, 10:27 AM

Alright, I have registered dogcows.net. The nameservers should pick it up within 24 hours. At that point, I can stick up a rudimentary site and forums!
Very cool! If we need/want any flash work done, let me know.

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 01:42 PM

Ok, here's my tabard design:

It's similar to one posted by mrPotatoHead. I was going for a B&W motif to match the G3s.

So, if any of you have any other ideas, post them here by the end of the day. Voting starts tomorrow.

phillryu
Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 01:43 PM

Ooh! Adam Betts and I want to make the webpage sometime this summer we think. Probably movabletype based. Would that be possible?

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 02:06 PM

I would love some help in the site design department! I'm not sure about the Movable Type idea, though, what with it going commercial and not being ideal for multiple contributors and all. I was hoping for a very dynamic and very community-driven guild site where any guild member could post stories and what-not.

I'll post my current idea, but I am definitely open to suggestions and other options. Please let me know what you think.

The backbone of the site will be based on Geeklog, a CMS built from the ground up with security as a primary focus (Groklaw, for example, runs on Geeklog). I have a lot of experience with Geeklog and CMSs, and it is a top-notch Content Management System. Think of it as a slimmed-down phpNuke without the blatant security holes. And if you are worried about the interface, let me assure you that Geeklog is very easily skinned.

On that site I was going to enable an integrated forum and a place to upload files (like interface mods). I was also going to setup a number of story sections, some being guild-only. One could be designed for performance tweaks like the one posted earlier in this thread. I thought it would be important for anyone in the guild to be able to submit stories to the site.

I was also going to enable a plugin where any member can setup his or her own page. On this page, the member can post their character information, equipment, tradeskills, and anything else that would be of interest to the rest of the guild.

I've also tossed around the idea of writing some custom plugins for the site.

Once the nameservers start picking up dogcows.net, I will throw together a quick Geeklog site so that you and Adam can play with it and tell me what you think.

Also, please know that my heart isn't completely set on doing things this way. As this is a community guild full of intelligent people I definitely want all parts of it to be community-driven. I am open to discussion and suggestions on what would be the best way to run this site.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2004, 05:29 PM

The current version of MT (2.661) is very stable, free, and supports unlimited authors so I don't see that as a problem.

One of the reasons why I'm a huge MT fan is not because of the tool itself, which works, but because of it's belief in standards support. phpNuke and Geeklog are both heavily table/tr/td driven which is just so 1990 and 3 column default design which is WAY overused, drives me nutz

Anyway, doesn't really matter to me. Even though I'm a programmer, designer, back-end developer, etc. I really don't have the bandwidth to help design this thing but I'll surely contribute if called upon.

As for the host, yes, I was just offering some for free. Not much space like 100MB and 5GB transfer. It's the thought that counts

Cheers!
MacBook Pro

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 06:00 PM

One of the reasons why I'm a huge MT fan is not because of the tool itself, which works, but because of it's belief in standards support. phpNuke and Geeklog are both heavily table/tr/td driven which is just so 1990 and 3 column default design which is WAY overused, drives me nutz
As far as tables/CSS is concerned, it mainly depends on the theme you use. For example, the themes found at Axonz are completely CSS. And 3-columns may be the default, but it is quite easy to go 2 columns.

As for the host, yes, I was just offering some for free. Not much space like 100MB and 5GB transfer. It's the thought that counts

Cheers!
I appreciate the offer. And I am willing to go with MT if people think that is what would serve our guild best. Is there any way you or someone else could put up a simple site to show me what exactly you're thinking and how it would compare to Geeklog? I should have the GL sample up by tomorrow.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2004, 06:16 PM

And I am willing to go with MT if people think that is what would serve our guild best. Is there any way you or someone else could put up a simple site to show me what exactly you're thinking and how it would compare to Geeklog? I should have the GL sample up by tomorrow.
I'll see what I can do tonight. I have an MT instance that runs my personal blog so it shouldn't be to hard to throw up a WoW based one. I was going to do that anyway to journal my WoW experience but alas the time demaon got me
MacBook Pro

phillryu
Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 07:56 PM

Well, you could check out MacThemes, which is movabletype driven (Adam did the design.) Also, Adam Betts's own site: http://www.artofadambetts.com/ is a good example.

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Well, you could check out MacThemes, which is movabletype driven (Adam did the design.) Also, Adam Betts's own site: http://www.artofadambetts.com/ is a good example.
Right, I know what MT sites look like. I agree that it is an excellent piece of software that does what it is meant to do extremely well. I'm just not so sure that it is the right choice for the guild site. I'll be able to explain it better once I get the demo site up and running.

Also, the free version of MT states the following as a restriction:
No more than one author and three weblogs

I guess we could probably use an old version, but do we want to commit the site to that one version of MT and never be able to upgrade it?

Just something to consider.

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 08:31 PM

Let's just try to keep an open mind. I know there are some huge advocates of MT on this board, but I just want to make sure we choose the right tool for the task, whether that be MT, GL, or something else.

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2004, 12:09 AM

Ok here are my two votes. I dig the tigers since that is the code name of the successor to Panther. Obligatory Safari tabard as well! I dig the bondi-ish blue, but there are so many cool colors to choose from, I'd be happy with all except pink or purple.

Bondi Tiger

Bondi Safari

Also here are two funny things I noticed:

Gnomes love the ladies!

Nice top, Jordan Croft!

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2004, 12:13 AM

Why not just code your own CMS? they aren't that hard, and you can make sure they do exactly what you want. As an added plus, if you use Smarty or something similar you can make a very simple skinning interface via templates, if you want to have multiple site skins.

Best of all you can code them to standards and you wouldn't have to worry about somebody else's license. Plus, whoever codes it has one more thing to put in their resume/portfolio

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2004, 01:45 AM

wow, you get 72 FPS?

And i thought 25 was good for me...

Damn.

I soooo want a G5...

-Owl

Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2004, 02:28 AM

Here's my entry. Just making the deadline.

And I noticed this last night when I was in the Monestary. The body is a little twisted, but I assure you its a woman's body. I think she needs a shave!

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 27, 2004, 08:00 AM

Alright, let's start voting! Vote for your favorite 3. If you posted more than one entry, you can only vote for yourself once.

Here are my votes:

Since I am going to be gone all next week, let's try to get the voting done before tomorrow. Then, if you guys can get 9 gold into my hand tonight, I'll buy the tabard first thing in the morning before my flight takes off.
( Last edited by Turias; May 27, 2004 at 08:23 AM. )

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 27, 2004, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
And I noticed this last night when I was in the Monestary. The body is a little twisted, but I assure you its a woman's body. I think she needs a shave!

Heheh, have you seen the gryphon handler in the Redridge Mountains? Definitely a woman, but with the sunglasses and full-out beard...

Cipher13
May 27, 2004, 10:48 AM

Heheh, have you seen the gryphon handler in the Redridge Mountains? Definitely a woman, but with the sunglasses and full-out beard...
(S)he scares me

(hung out there all today... level 14 rogue vs. level 22+ beasts and orcs = hard)

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 27, 2004, 11:30 AM

Ok, the sample site is thrown together.

http://www.dogcows.net/

And vote on those tabards!

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2004, 11:40 AM

I vote #2.

I like the Apple gray
MacBook Pro

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2004, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by MaxPower:

gxWindow
--> Usage: gxwindow <0-1>
gxrestart
Description: Toggles windowed mode on/off.
Been trying to get this to work on my 12" PB but no luck. Anyone have any ideas?
MacBook Pro

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 27, 2004, 11:50 AM

I vote #2.

I like the Apple gray
No, those were just my top 3 choices. You should look through the tabards in this thread and vote for your own top 3.

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2004, 11:59 AM

1 (ooh! very g5 brushed aluminum like)

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2004, 04:41 PM

Been trying to get this to work on my 12" PB but no luck. Anyone have any ideas?
Hmm. It works for me! Although Ranvier clued me into an easier way: Apple + M

-Q-
May 27, 2004, 05:01 PM

Here are my votes:

I do like that 'G5 Grey'.

-Q-
May 27, 2004, 05:02 PM

Ok, the sample site is thrown together.

http://www.dogcows.net/

And vote on those tabards!
Registered.

And I'll have to play with it this evening to get an idea of how much I like it. Work is driving me crazy right now!

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2004, 05:09 PM

No, those were just my top 3 choices. You should look through the tabards in this thread and vote for your own top 3.
Ah I see. Well, I still vote for Apple Gray
MacBook Pro

Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2004, 05:26 PM

My votes:

1)

2)

3)

I can also buy the tabard design if we don't get the cash to Turias in time (at least I think I can buy it). And I can also front the cash if need be. Just let me know!

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2004, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
I can also buy the tabard design if we don't get the cash to Turias in time (at least I think I can buy it). And I can also front the cash if need be. Just let me know!
How much cash do I need to come up with exactly so I can get the tabard for myself as well as help pay the 10g for the design.

Thanks!
MacBook Pro

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 27, 2004, 06:19 PM

How much cash do I need to come up with exactly so I can get the tabard for myself as well as help pay the 10g for the design.

Thanks!
You need 1g to buy your own tabard. I think the recommended contribution for the design is 60-80s.

phillryu
Mac Elite
May 27, 2004, 11:55 PM

Right, I know what MT sites look like. I agree that it is an excellent piece of software that does what it is meant to do extremely well. I'm just not so sure that it is the right choice for the guild site. I'll be able to explain it better once I get the demo site up and running.

Also, the free version of MT states the following as a restriction:
No more than one author and three weblogs

I guess we could probably use an old version, but do we want to commit the site to that one version of MT and never be able to upgrade it?

Just something to consider.
I agree. Movabletype is really great, but I definitely feel a bit gipped with the new license costs... I'll probably end up paying for it though because moving to a new engine would probably be worth more than that in my time. Grr

Xidius
May 30, 2004, 02:28 AM

Hmmm... I wasn't accepted either. Sooo.. I emailed my good friend at Blizzard, and asked him to get me in. And here is the result. =)

And here's a picture from ~6 hours after I got it. =)

http://homepage.mac.com/xidius/temp/wow2.jpg

Awesome, addicting game. =D I play it on my new 17" 1.5Ghz 128mb ati Powerbook, with ~70-80 fps consistently, with my lowest being ~30-40 fps in the undercity. =\

Just wish it natively supported wide screen resolutions~!

- Xidius
You're just jealous coz' the voices wont talk to you!

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
May 30, 2004, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by Xidius:
Hmmm... I wasn't accepted either. Sooo.. I emailed my good friend at Blizzard, and asked him to get me in. And here is the result. =)

And here's a picture from ~6 hours after I got it. =)

http://homepage.mac.com/xidius/temp/wow2.jpg

Awesome, addicting game. =D I play it on my new 17" 1.5Ghz 128mb ati Powerbook, with ~70-80 fps consistently, with my lowest being ~30-40 fps in the undercity. =\

Just wish it natively supported wide screen resolutions~!

- Xidius
Congrats! It is times like this that make me wish I had a good friend at Blizzard! I didn't get in, and am dying a death with every new screen shot posted!

Thing is,I do software tesing for a living too!!

phillryu
Mac Elite
May 30, 2004, 10:13 AM

I have the weirdest feeling that all of us here were invited by our mutual friend at MacNN...

Cipher13
May 30, 2004, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by phillryu:
I have the weirdest feeling that all of us here were invited by our mutual friend at MacNN...
I'd bet on it

Three cheers!

redJag
Senior User
May 30, 2004, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by Xidius:
How much RAM do you have? I have the same computer and would say my average is 40FPS.
Travis Sanderson

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2004, 01:31 PM

Man i really need a new computer, my Highest FPS is around 25.

But I'm still loving it!

-Owl

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
May 30, 2004, 01:59 PM

( Last edited by The Placid Casual; May 31, 2004 at 06:47 PM. )

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2004, 10:47 PM

well, i must say that not being able to play this weekend sucked. My wife and I moved all of our stuff to our new house, and I'm still waiting for verizon to get my DSL up and running. If it's not done by wednesday i'll be switching over to comcast. See you all again soon. . .I hope.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

neoTony
Jun 1, 2004, 12:36 AM

*sigh* Lucky bastards... I was looking for a way to properly utilise my new 17" PB... Helps to have friends in high places, no?

videian28
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2004, 09:46 AM

If anyone would like to refer me to gte invited to beta feel free to PM me

I will love you forever

Yose
Senior User
Jun 1, 2004, 10:09 AM

How long is the beta expected to run before the retail release comes about? This reminds me too much of what Mudding should have been for all those years. *drool*.
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Forum Links
Forum Rules