Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook to Macbook Pro, use MA or no?

Powerbook to Macbook Pro, use MA or no?
evoLver
Sep 16, 2008, 11:12 PM

What's the best way? Use Migration Assistant for everything but apps and do the apps by hand? Use it not at all or let it do everything?

So far I've heard equal support for doing it by hand and for using MA.
15" Macbook Pro / 2.2ghz / 4g ram / 10.6

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2008, 11:37 PM

You can take the time savings and let MA do everything and then see if anything strange happens... if not you win, if so then you have to spend the time to do it manually.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2008, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
You can take the time savings and let MA do everything and then see if anything strange happens... if not you win, if so then you have to spend the time to do it manually.
Worked perfect everytime for me!

evoLver  (op)
Sep 17, 2008, 01:46 PM

Thanks for the replys.

Any other experiences? I'm such a wimp with these things.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2008, 01:49 PM

Just make sure you don't have any third-party kexts made for PPC Macs.

Then just go for it.

Worst thing that can happen is you need to manually install an app again. Even so you'll still be saving a huge amount of time compared to migrating manually.

You say you're a wimp with these things. Fortunately Apple designed MA exactly for people like you.

evoLver  (op)
Sep 19, 2008, 12:05 PM

OK, I have time to do this now. Can anyone tell me if I should clear cache files first, and if so which ones? Thanks.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2008, 12:20 PM

Don't worry about cache files. Just do it according to Apple's instructions and you'll be fine.

Dual Porpoise
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2008, 12:23 PM

Worked well for me using MA, although there were a few quirks, it was pretty impressive.

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2008, 05:42 PM

I have had no problems, myself.

After you are done I would go through you application folder and get info on each application to see if it is PPC or universal; for any PPC apps I would go online to see if there is a universal or intel update/version. You don't want to use Rosetta unnecessarily.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2008, 04:19 AM

^ Good advice.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2008, 04:34 PM

There are reasons some of us have problem-free setups in spite of running heavy apps, while others report performance/stability issues.

IMO using MA on applications is a bad idea. From a code standpoint kind of like moving your home and taking all the dirt, dust bunnies and junk from the old house along with you. Applications should each be a new installation on each new box with Permissions repaired before and after installations.

-Allen Wicks

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2008, 07:43 PM

I've never used the MA, for the reasons Allen gives above. A clean system is generally faster and more stable than anything you just migrate over.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2008, 04:06 PM

I think that Allen Wicks is too cautious regarding Migration Assistant. (Heck, he is also overly-cautious about filling up his hard drives; his insistence that a drive should be no more than 50% full is absurd...) I have used MA to move everything multiple times on a variety of Macs and that includes a bevy of third-party apps including "heavy" applications (I assume that CS3 qualifies as being "heavy.")

In my experience MA moves 99.95% of my data. The last time I used it on one of my Macs it took around 30 minutes to tidy things up after Migration Assistant had finished. If I had skipped MA I estimate that it would have taken the better part of a full day to configure a new Mac. Of course, it takes less time to reinstall apps if you move everything else using MA, but depending on the number of apps it can mean hours wasted doing something that is not necessary.

And I have never experienced stability problems or a speed decrease after using Migration Assistant or SuperDuper! for that matter...

real
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2008, 06:12 PM

It works go for it
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2008, 09:56 AM

Always works for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules