Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple Indoor Survey app for internal mapping of buildings appears

Apple Indoor Survey app for internal mapping of buildings appears
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 2, 2015, 07:59 AM

Apple could soon launch a way for people to navigate their way around an indoor location, such as a mall or a large building, without using GPS or iBeacons. The Indoor Survey App has quietly surfaced in the App Store, allowing its users to create a map of an indoor area, with the iOS device using its onboard sensors to measure radio signals and other data in order to work out where it physically is within a location.

Spotted by AppleInsider, the app requires the participant to drop points on a map of a building to indicate their position as they walk through the area. "As you do so, the indoor Survey App measures the radio frequency (RF) signal data and combines it with an iPhone's sensor data," reads the app description. "The end result is indoor positioning without the need to install special hardware."

It is likely Apple is using technology it acquired as part of its purchase of WiFiSLAM in 2013 for the app. The startup was able to identify where the user was within about eight feet, combining Wi-Fi triangulation with Bluetooth beacons and other data a smartphone can pick up that changes based on physical location.

In theory, the system could allow for building owners to map out their building without buying or installing iBeacons or other similar devices, potentially saving a lot of money, with it also likely to supplement the indoor mapping data supplied via Apple Maps Connect.

While the technology is novel, it certainly isn't the first time the concept has been put into practice. For example, Google's own Floor Plan Marker app uses a similar system of collecting publicly-broadcast data to define where a device is located, which when combined with positional data supplied by the app user, allows Google Maps users to see where they are.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Nov 2, 2015 at 06:58 PM. )

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2015, 09:31 AM

It doesn't even show up when I typed "Indoor Survey" in App Store. But MacNN link works. After I downloaded it, I can't even use the app. I think you need a special account to log-in. It doesn't accept iTunes nor iCloud accounts. This is meant for registered applicants only.
( Last edited by coffeetime; Nov 2, 2015 at 09:43 AM. )

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2015, 10:04 AM

There's marvelous potential here. Museums, for instance, could use this to offer patrons a location-aware guided tour. Dedicated devices to do that are extremely expensive, $1000 or so, because there's almost no competition. This feature, combined with a customized tour app, would allow museums to do offer guided tours by investing in an iPod touch at $200. That's something better at one-fifth the price.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2015, 10:26 AM

I think you're spot-on Inkling, save for one thing -- no need for the museums and attractions to invest in the hardware because the people will bring their own!

climacs
Senior User
Nov 2, 2015, 12:20 PM

this would be useful for finding sh*t in the grocery store... I hate having to ask the clerks (if they can be found at all).

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2015, 12:48 PM

Inkling: museums (retail stores, stadiums, etc) already do this using iBeacons, which are inexpensive little stations scattered around a building.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

iBricking.com
Banned
Nov 2, 2015, 01:42 PM

"this would be useful for finding sh*t in the grocery store... I hate having to ask the clerks (if they can be found at all)."

Hey Siri, where can I find a clerk?

Forum Links
Forum Rules