Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Apple hardware test error codes. help

Apple hardware test error codes. help
SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2002, 09:03 PM

I need some help determining what a hardware error code means.
I can not boot my new Dual Processor G4 anymore. It was left on last night and when I went to use it it was frozen. Not even mouse movement.

I reset the PRAM, I removed the battery and hit the button for a few seconds. I even tried booting off of the OSX CDs that came with it and the software restore CD, the only CD that will boot is the hardware test.

When booting up as normal I get the apple icon, and then finally when it knows that it can not boot up it is replaced with the No symbol. Similar to a no smoking sign. Can anyone help?

Thanks

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2002, 09:39 AM

You haven't gotten any error codes. If so, post it, but the icons you got aren't error codes.

Have you tried resetting the PMU? Unplugged from everything, press the button near the battery on the LoBo. Metal cube with a little round, black button. Press it once and wait 10 seconds. Plug it back in and see if it boots.

If not, bring it in to an Apple Store.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

SpinCycle  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2002, 10:15 AM

Yes, I reset the Cuda, by unplugging everything, removing internal battery etc. no go.

And in fact there ARE hardware error codes. I am referring to the "Apple Hardware Test" error codes. I.e. my error code is
"post/16/4096"

Originally posted by mrchin:
You haven't gotten any error codes. If so, post it, but the icons you got aren't error codes.

Have you tried resetting the PMU? Unplugged from everything, press the button near the battery on the LoBo. Metal cube with a little round, black button. Press it once and wait 10 seconds. Plug it back in and see if it boots.

If not, bring it in to an Apple Store.

Forum Links
Forum Rules