Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Installing RAM: Stupid Screws!

Installing RAM: Stupid Screws!
Justin Hancock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2002, 08:34 PM

Grrr!!! WTF will take these screws out? I have a perfect-size Philips screwdriver, but the damn screws are torqued into the RAM shield!!!! I'm going crazy here. I've tried everything from a boxknife to a butterknife to a pumpkin detailing knife to a steak knife and it is driving me nuts!

Do I really have to go out and buy a #0 Phillips screwdriver?

alien
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2002, 08:57 PM

Let the iBook cool down in a cold room for a while. That did the trick for me when I had the same trouble as you. It was a piece of cake to get the screws out afterwards.

Good luck

Justin Hancock  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2002, 09:09 PM

It's sitting out in my garage (~30F)...not sure it'll help as I have pretty much stripped the damn screws

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2002, 09:36 PM

nm. found the answer to my own question.....
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2002, 09:37 PM

If you have an eyeglass repair kit around, use the screwdriver from that. Worked for me!

Cipher13
Dec 20, 2002, 10:50 PM

I never had a problem with those screws...

Though the top case screws on one iBook I had to take apart were burred so badly (by an Apple tech, I'm guessing... incompetents...) that I had to use an S0 to take them out. S0 to get a Philips out. *sigh*

That, and an allen key to take one of the T8's out. PITA.

Justin Hancock  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2002, 12:17 PM

Well I never got it out; I'm going over to relatives for about a week and my uncle has a lot of small little tools and he should have something that will work.

I'm just so worried about stripping them then having to send it in to Apple for repair.

diamondsw
Senior User
Dec 21, 2002, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by Justin Hancock:
Well I never got it out; I'm going over to relatives for about a week and my uncle has a lot of small little tools and he should have something that will work.

I'm just so worried about stripping them then having to send it in to Apple for repair.
Only thing I can say is never force anything when working inside a computer. There are so many easy things to break that are impossible to properly replace. Good luck!

Cipher13
Dec 22, 2002, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Justin Hancock:

Don't be afraid to break the machine - you won't. Just worry about the screws, as you said.

Push down harder.

bryce
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2002, 02:01 AM

I had the same problem when I tried to install RAM. I thought I had stripped the screws beyond repair. I ended up taking my iBook to an Apple store where one of the employees got them off without much trouble. The key is having the perfect size screwdriver and using a lot of force.

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 24, 2002, 02:34 AM

Phillips #0 is the key to a successful RAM installation (as well as the right memory that works).

Macdizzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2002, 02:46 AM

I had a hard time trying to unscrew those #@$&^%** screws too, even with the proper Philips screwdriver, cos the screws are really tight! Had to bring the iBook down to the local store to do the job for me. Wonder why Apple had to make things so difficult? I would think a normal screw will do as well since these are already well protected under the keyboard.

rytc
Senior User
Jan 3, 2003, 03:55 PM

I find sometimes with those screws that refuse to budge that slightly tigtening them and then trying to undo them does the trick - well 9 times out of ten in my experience.
And never keep forcing one, as once that thread has gone its a real bitch to get out....

ravenfan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2003, 06:09 PM

I posted this on another thread, but will repeat it here:

A #0 Phillips will not fit those srcrews! There might be a few brands that work, but it's about 1/2 the size of a #0 Craftsman (or other name brand). I have some old small philips screwdrivers but they are getting worn out. I stopped by Sears and purchased a #0 because of the suggestions on this thread.

It's doesn't even come close to fitting! I have a bunch of "flat head" mini screwdrivers and found one that would fit tightly (holding at an angle to get maximum grippage). It worked, but they were so tight that they mangled the tips of the said scredriver!

Yikes.
iBook 800 combo, 640MB, X.2.8

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Jan 27, 2003, 04:21 PM

I had issues with those annoying screws as well. then I got a cheesy "Helping Hand" brand hobby screwdriver (phillips) and somehow it it fit perfectly....

i can't believe they use such annoying screws that are so hard to remove....

jaceh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2003, 06:12 PM

When I installed my new RAM I had some trouble. In the end I used a small screwdriver and a pair of needle nose pliers.

Put the screwdriver into the groove of the screw and press down firmly. Then use the needle nose pliers to turn the screwdriver.

This did the trick for me.

P.S Make sure you're turning the right way. Righty tighty lefty loosey.
if you give a mac a cookie...

emporernortoni
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2003, 03:12 PM

As a mechanic, I'd like to add that there are distinct differences in the quality of tools, and that Craftsman is not my preferred source for tooling.

If you're doing a serious job, on expensive equipment, spend the extra couple of dollars for the quality tool. Snap-On, or to a lesser extent Mac(the Stanly Co., not the Apple Co.), offer well-made tools, with high tollerances(read ISO standard), and with a little looking, you can locate a dealer that will stop by your house or place of business.

You may pay a little more, but the tool will fit, and do it's job well. The Snap-On #0 Phillips(electronics service, Stock# SDEP20,$6.95(website)) has a bead-blasted tip, which will grip small screws very tightly, and a great ergonomic grip, both of which will allow very high torques, with the lowest chance of slipping and damaging fasteners.
G4 Sawtooth 350Mhz on the desktop,
12" iBook 700Mhz, in the bag, and an empty
wallet

Forum Links
Forum Rules