Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > ipod questions

ipod questions
Rinpoche
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2003, 04:31 AM

i've decided to save up some money and buy an ipod. how durable is this thing? can i go jogging with the ipod in my pocket? does the music ever skip? have you ever dropped your ipod and what happened? any other comment are welcome. thanks

lordwizard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2003, 05:27 AM

Hi !!

I'm the happy owner of the original 5Gb iPod, for more than a year now...

1) yes you can go jogging without problem, i do it regularly

2)Music never skip thanks to the huge buffer memory system, in fact the drive works very few seconds just time to put the data in the memory then stop, protecting it from crash and skipping problems

3) I dropped it twice on hard floor, my heart freeze both times but not the iPod

4) Longevity: i dont use it every single day, and that's a bad move because the only problem i got is when i let my iPod being complety discharged after 2 weeks during holydays, it never wake up till i opened it (after reading same problems on the net) and take off then put on the battery cable...

Since that it works perfectly again and i recently bought the remote that new models have, its great !!

iPod is just the best MP3 player u can find around, it was the only thing that could replace old "walkman" in my heart !!
An Apple a day... !!

PM Dual 1.25 MDD FW800/ 768Mb / 80Go
9000 Pro / 20" Cinema Display/ "ice" iBook / iPod

Pod_Head
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2003, 01:17 PM

I jog on a treadmill everyday with mine, and no problems ever. I dropped it twice so far on the treadmill, as if dropping it isn't enough I then had to watch it shoot off the back of the treadmill. My heart stopped both times as well, but no problems with the Ipod working (thank god)

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 01:36 PM

they look undurable, but they are fairly durable. Of course its best to purchase some style of case for it - i recommend the iSkin.
we don't have time to stop for gas

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2003, 04:20 PM

I think that the durability doesn't come down to physical shocks as an issue, but rather the lack of a good battery system. That said, I have 5GB unit and perhaps the new ones are better.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2003, 10:22 PM

The iPod is a durable, tough little cookie. I highly recommend getting a case of some sort for it, though. It is very prone to scratches, and you want to be extra careful in protecting a small $300-500 item from particularly nasty falls.

Forum Links
Forum Rules