Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > joining the dark side

joining the dark side
runningphan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2003, 08:35 PM

i'm not starting this thread to be bombed with lots of messages as to how pc's suck, but i'm a pc guy who wants to switch and i'm wondering how to actually do it.

i'm an applications engineer (developer) on the pc side and i worked on macs around 7 years ago and want to go back on my own. what do you recommend as a starting system? i'm not interested in buying a very expensive system and am looking to get in with a used system. any suggestions?

i do a lot of web development so i'll need to take that into consideration when looking at the configuration. are there any options besides the g4? a friend of mine had a g3 tower and it didn't work out very well for him...could it have been the OS and not the hardware?

thanks for any information provided in advance.

-john

palmberg
Senior User
Jul 10, 2003, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by runningphan:
i'm not starting this thread to be bombed with lots of messages as to how pc's suck, but i'm a pc guy who wants to switch and i'm wondering how to actually do it.
How heavy is your Web development? What kinds of things are you interested in doing? Do you want a laptop or a desktop machine? Does it matter?

Two starter options you might consider: iMac, which is a desktop machine and sports a G4 processor; and the iBook, which you can get with a 900MHz G3.

I wouldn't worry about anyone railing on you about PCs sucking. The folks here, in the main, are actually great people, not just great Mac people. Good luck!

EDIT: Feel free to AIM or ICQ me anytime if you have questions: AIM = palmbergm; ICQ = 56708859

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2003, 08:54 PM

Na, we wont mess with ya, but do you really think getting a Mac is 'joining the dark side' like your topic suggests?
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2003, 08:59 PM

You said you wanted to get a used system. I'd have to say only go for a machine with a G4 in it. A used G4 tower would be a great machine for you IMO. You probably already have a monitor you can use with it too.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2003, 09:17 PM

If you don't mind buying used, that opens your options considerably. Of course you can always start with eBay, or MacNN's very own Marketplace, but if you want something a little more reputable, try either Smalldog or PowerMax. Both are Mac resellers with excellent reputations and both deal in used and refurbished as well as new equipment.

I would avoid a G3 unless you're really tight on funds or really want the price/convenience factor of the iBook; OS X has quite a bit of G4-specific optimization, and a G4 will be a little more future-proof. As for a "starter" system, I'd suggest a cheap G4 tower (Apple is clearing them out at good prices now) or, if a no-fuss all-in-one is your style, an eMac.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2003, 09:34 PM

Oh, i thought you were turning gay.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2003, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Oh, i thought you were turning gay.
"joining the dark side," not "entering the backside."

runningphan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2003, 10:58 PM

my web development is pretty much all in dreamweaver with some work in flash.

the all-in-one solution like the iMac has never been a favorite of mine and while i'd like the option to take the computer mobile, apple's iBook and PowerBook are rather spendy. i'll be sure to check out the used sites mentioned, they seem like a great possibility.

thanks again for all your help. i actually think of apple as the right side and not the dark side, but unfortunately the PC world pays the bills - until i get my mac and change the world

also, i'm quite impressed with the mac community...a real bunch of yahoos.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2003, 11:32 PM

Keep us posted on your progress; one of the great pleasures of these forums is hearing from new Mac users like you.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2003, 11:39 PM

Yahoos as in good? Or yahoos as in crazy dab-gammit get 'er ofa mah property yahoos?

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2003, 11:59 PM

my web development is pretty much all in dreamweaver with some work in flash.

the all-in-one solution like the iMac has never been a favorite of mine and while i'd like the option to take the computer mobile, apple's iBook and PowerBook are rather spendy. i'll be sure to check out the used sites mentioned, they seem like a great possibility.

thanks again for all your help. i actually think of apple as the right side and not the dark side, but unfortunately the PC world pays the bills - until i get my mac and change the world

Apple has some decent deals on G4 towers in their online store.

Single 1.25 for $1300 and a Dual 1.25 for 300 bucks more.

rezzi
Jul 11, 2003, 12:21 AM

Ahh, welcome. Another one plucked from the matrix. Great to have you on board...

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2003, 12:30 AM

welcome back on board....enjoy the ride. if you could tell us what "not very expensive" means to you (or what your budget for the switch to mac is) we might be able to give you a better idea as to what you can reasonably expect to get for your $$. also, you may already have a monitor that will work just fine and all you need is a cpu...but then you also need to budget for whatever software you may need to buy as well....good luck, and let us know what you decide to go with.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

willed
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2003, 05:16 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
I actually did lol! Excellent!

RGB
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2003, 06:45 AM

Funniest. Witty comeback. Ever.

RGB
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2003, 06:46 AM

Originally posted by willed:
I actually did lol! Excellent!
I will second this motion!

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2003, 09:45 AM

that is great... i am going to have to write that down

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2003, 10:20 AM

To tell you the truth it is.

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2003, 10:40 AM

Geez, I thought this was about leaving Macs and buying a PC! You really have to consider your audience, mang!

goldengoose7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2003, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by palmberg:
How heavy is your Web development? What kinds of things are you interested in doing? Do you want a laptop or a desktop machine? Does it matter?

Just get a flat-panel 17" iMac with Dreamweaver MX and a copy of Photoshop and you are good to go.

If you are talking PROFESSIONAL web development here, thats what I use, although I run it on a G4 tower with dual Cinema 23" displays.
Golden Goose
Records

Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2003, 04:42 PM

If you are going to buy used, try to get a G4 tower with more than a 733 Mhz processor. Also make sure you get a 32 Mb AGP video card (radeon, or geforce). This was you will get a fast interface (quarz extreme).

Good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules