Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone have or had both 15" and 17" Powerbook?

Anyone have or had both 15" and 17" Powerbook?
striker100
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2004, 10:37 PM

Is there anyone here who has both or has had both the 15" and 17" Aluminum Powerbook?
I'd love to get your take on which one you enjoy using more and why.

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2004, 12:04 AM

This is somewhat discussed here: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=211005

I've had both and seem to be switching back and forth. I had a rev 17" because I wanted Bluetooth and Airport Extreme but wanted the size of my old Tibook. I jumped on the 15" Al when it came. Went through the white spot issue. Then the logic board failed and it ended up going back three times before it was mostly fixed right.

To be honest, I've also a PowerBook junkie. I've also had the fastest and best model, so when the updates came out I ordered a maxed out 17". They both have plus and minus. In general the 15" travel better but this had limits. For example when I'm traveling it's nice to be able to fire off music or a DVD in a hotel room without resorting to headphones. So in this case the 17" "travels" better. But if you want to use it on a plane all the time the 15" is better.

For now I'm using the 17". Even though this design came out first, it just seems more refined. I really tired of the 15" hinge "cracking" when I just it trying to get the right angle. The 17" just glides. Who decided we needed a penny to change the battery on the 15"? Why not just the two slides like on the 17"?

The one advantage I thought the 15" had over the rev a 17" was a brighter screen with better color. But the later rev b and now the rev c 17" screens seem to be a newer version with is as bright and white as the 15".
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm HD

iDORK
Forum Regular
May 4, 2004, 12:30 AM

bcaslis couldn't explain it better. I am a PoweBook junkie as well and have owned the 15": Ti 1Ghz, AL 1.25Ghz; 17": 1Ghz, 1.33Ghz and soon to arrive 1.5GHz. Just like Bcaslis said in regards to their respected plus and minuses, I enjoy the 17" more than the 15". The extra screen space, extended battery time, and it runs cooler are pluses for me.

Originally posted by bcaslis:
This is somewhat discussed here: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=211005

I've had both and seem to be switching back and forth. I had a rev 17" because I wanted Bluetooth and Airport Extreme but wanted the size of my old Tibook. I jumped on the 15" Al when it came. Went through the white spot issue. Then the logic board failed and it ended up going back three times before it was mostly fixed right.

To be honest, I've also a PowerBook junkie. I've also had the fastest and best model, so when the updates came out I ordered a maxed out 17". They both have plus and minus. In general the 15" travel better but this had limits. For example when I'm traveling it's nice to be able to fire off music or a DVD in a hotel room without resorting to headphones. So in this case the 17" "travels" better. But if you want to use it on a plane all the time the 15" is better.

For now I'm using the 17". Even though this design came out first, it just seems more refined. I really tired of the 15" hinge "cracking" when I just it trying to get the right angle. The 17" just glides. Who decided we needed a penny to change the battery on the 15"? Why not just the two slides like on the 17"?

The one advantage I thought the 15" had over the rev a 17" was a brighter screen with better color. But the later rev b and now the rev c 17" screens seem to be a newer version with is as bright and white as the 15".

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2004, 03:36 AM

I have a Ti 500Mhz and bought a new 15" when it came out, mainly cause I couldn't afford a 17". I typical use it as a desktop machine writing code, light gaming, and email, web, iLife stuff. Most my travel is by train or road. I ended up longing for more screen space so my neighbor bought my 15 and I bought a refurb Rev A 17" from the Apple Store.

I found no difference in porting around a 15 or a 17" though I haven't flown with it yet. You still have to port around a good sized laptop backpack either way. The screen quality of the 17" was better as the lighting was even across the screen whereas my 15", after it was replaced for white spots, had a dark sections in the lower right. Differences in screen brightness or clairity are unnoticable. The size of the the 17" is more comfortable on my lap as you can spread your legs out more and I can prop my powermate on the left speaker. Sound quality is better on the 17" and I use it without external speakers at home to listen to music while working. Port setup is a bit different too, the 17" has the lock port in the back left whereas the 15" it's some were in the middle, much more optimal positioning on the 17". Check out the port setup on the "take it for a spin".

I wanted the 17" from the getgo but couldn't afford one till they came out on the refurb list. I won't go back to a 15", if I ever needed real portablity I'd have a 12" for the road and 17" at home.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

JCT
Forum Regular
May 4, 2004, 07:58 AM

Boy, you guys made me feel better about the decision I made yesterday .

I had the option of either a mostly maxed 15" or 17" PB (only ~$100 difference with edu discount) and I was going nuts trying to decide, especially since I'm coming from the 12" PB which I love, but is too small for prolonged Photoshop work.

I'm small and I travel a fair amount and carrying around the 17" had me seriously worried. I finally read enough threads like these to make me revisit my decision to just get the 15" and I was finally convinced. I was also impressed with how well some of the older 17" were holding up.

What also helped was going to the Apple store and comparing them in person, the size difference is noticible, but the biggest leap of course was going up from the little 12" ! Interestingly my 15" PC notebook that I have been traveling with was actually 1/2" taller (when opened) and the 17" PB was only 2.5 inches wider than my current machine. Makes it less imposing a leap.

I'm sure looking forward to taking delivery!

Oh, and I'm becoming a PB junkie too. I bought the 12" PB last December (my first Mac) and it is one of my favorite hardware purchases ever. The 17" represents a serious step towards switching as I will try to use it as my main desktop this summer.

Thanks all,

JT
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

hart
Senior User
May 18, 2004, 07:47 PM

argh! me too. Transmitted order in spite of crippling anxiety. 17" with all upgrades.

You all will be hearing from me if I crumple under the bulk of carrying it around!

Now, if I can just contain my excitement/anxiety/guilt.

mh0ffmann
Forum Regular
May 19, 2004, 07:00 PM

I've had a 15" TiBook and a 17" AluBook, and loved both to death but now much prefer the 17". It's great for work, and great on planes (for watching DVDs on the huge screen), despite the somewhat awkward position you have to put it in if you travel in coach. It *is* perceptibly heavier than the 15" but for all other practical purposes, they're both equally portable (i.e. they fit in most of the same briefcases, etc.)

For true portability, I'm trading my 15 incher for a 12" Powerbook, so I have both the mega-PB and the ultraportable one when space is an issue.

Mark
MacBookPro 15" / 2.16 GHz / 100 GB 7200 RPM / 1 Gb
White MacBook 13.3" / 1.8 GHz / 60GB / 1 Gb
PB 5300cs (!!!) 100 MHz / 750 Mb / 16 Mb

Forum Links
Forum Rules