Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Anyone use the new 23" display with a PC?

Anyone use the new 23" display with a PC?
Siskomac
Jul 18, 2004, 01:50 AM

Blasphemy, perhaps...but I am thinking of using one with my PC as well as my Mac. Just wondering if anyone here has at least tried to hook one up for testing purposes...

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2004, 01:53 AM

If you're not sure whether they work with a PC or not, they certainly do.

Siskomac  (op)
Jul 18, 2004, 04:08 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
If you're not sure whether they work with a PC or not, they certainly do.
I know they work with a PC due to the DVi connection, but Apple's site says "if your computer supports widescreen via DDC."

I have a 9800 Pro in my PC but can't find a spec sheet that actually lists "DDC" as part of it.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 10:19 AM

I used my 20" with my PC at one time. As long as you have a DVI connection, it will work.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2004, 11:49 AM

I have frequently used my 22" Cinema Display with my PC. Works fine, with one caveat -
On my PC with a Radeon 8500, the display worked fine, including the BIOS screens. When I replaced the 8500 with a Radeon 9800, the display/card combo would no longer display the BIOS screens... it would only function after Windows booted and the Radeon drivers loaded. Not a big deal, but I had to plug something else in if I needed to make changes to the BIOS. Strange, I know, but it worked fine with the Radeon 8500.

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2004, 10:23 PM

The "trick" to getting some DVI connected monitors to display the BIOS screen is to either switch the display off, wait a few seconds, and turn back on OR if the monitor has two inputs (VGA + DVI) switch to VGA input, wait a few seconds and then switch back to DVI. I have not tried this on the Apple cinema displays but it works on my dell 2000 fp and dell 2001fp, both of which are connected to radeon 9600 and 9800 cards.

Does apple include a monitor driver for pc's w/ the new cinema displays?

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 11:33 PM

the drivers would be with your videocard.

iDORK
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2004, 03:06 AM

Bump: Anyone have the 20" or 23" hooked up to a PC? I just ordered the 23" and will be connecting it to my PC with a Radeon 9600XT when it arrives.

iDORK
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2004, 03:09 PM

OK guys-

I have the Apple 23" hooked up to my XP machine but there is a problem: the native resolution 19200x1200 will not save after a reboot! It doesn't show the Bios screen either. Windows loads up in 800x600 every time. Using the latest Nvidia reference drivers, maybe Nvidia needs an update?

I'm running the MSI 6800 by the way. Anyone with a suggestion? Thanks in advance!

P.S. Doom 3 runs and looks very nicely!

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2004, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by iDORK:
OK guys-

I have the Apple 23" hooked up to my XP machine but there is a problem: the native resolution 19200x1200 will not save after a reboot! It doesn't show the Bios screen either. Windows loads up in 800x600 every time. Using the latest Nvidia reference drivers, maybe Nvidia needs an update?

I'm running the MSI 6800 by the way. Anyone with a suggestion? Thanks in advance!

P.S. Doom 3 runs and looks very nicely!
I have the 6800 as well, and was looking at getting a 20" for my PC. After doing some reasearch, I found this tool on another board that helps with that problem.

http://www.entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm

iDORK
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2004, 01:46 AM

Well, after doing some testing with the Apple 23" and my PC, I have concluded that the Nvidia based videocard (MSI 6800) or driver (latest) is root for not retaining its resolution and causing small icons to look pixilated.

I connected the 23" to a Dell with Radeon 7000 (w/latest drivers) and it looked PERFECT! The resolution stayed at 1920x1200 and smaller icons looked more sharper than my NVIDIA based PC.

Anyone with a 20"/23" connected to a PC want to comment? Please provide the type of videocard you have as well.

Originally posted by Minty Fresh:
I have the 6800 as well, and was looking at getting a 20" for my PC. After doing some reasearch, I found this tool on another board that helps with that problem.

http://www.entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm

Nawoo
Aug 21, 2004, 01:50 AM

I'm using the 20 inch with my Pc. It's awesome. Games and movies look so good. Using a radeon 9800 pro at 1680x1050 resolution with no problems at all. Able to view bios as opposed to some peoples' complaints.

iDORK
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2004, 02:10 AM

Thanks Nawoo for posting your specs and picture! I ordered the X800 and will see if my theory is true.

Originally posted by Nawoo:
I'm using the 20 inch with my Pc. It's awesome. Games and movies look so good. Using a radeon 9800 pro at 1680x1050 resolution with no problems at all. Able to view bios as opposed to some peoples' complaints.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2004, 09:57 AM

My BIOS/text screen issue is due to the combination of my original 22" Cinema (rev. 2 ADC version, not the rev. 1 DVI version) and the Radeon 9800. Other combos seem to work fine.
( Last edited by Cadaver; Aug 21, 2004 at 10:04 AM. )

iDORK
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2004, 06:19 PM

Nawoo-

Do you have the USB 2.0/FireWire cables from your Cinema connected to your PC? I have both connected, the Firewire works fine but the USB2.0 will not. Windows just says "Device will not run". Does yours run OK?

Thanks

Nawoo
Aug 29, 2004, 07:50 PM

Yup no problem. It is recognized in Windows XP as a USB hub. My optical mouse is connected to it with no problems.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2004, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by iDORK:
Bump: Anyone have the 20" or 23" hooked up to a PC? I just ordered the 23" and will be connecting it to my PC with a Radeon 9600XT when it arrives.
I've got one running on an Alienware machine (XP home edition, 9800XT) with no problems (other than the ugliness of Windows).

Valarauko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2004, 11:33 PM

Does the power button and brightness button works when you have it connected to the PC? I have mine connected to PC but the power button and brightness doesn't do anything.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2004, 07:52 PM

I'm thinking of building a PC to use for gaming. My plan is to share my 23" Cinema display (the old one) between the PC and as a second monitor for my Powerbook. I know I need that $250-or-so converter switch box, which is no problem compared to the cost of a second monitor.

My questions are:
I'm really nervous about picking the right video card for best compatibility with the monitor. What I'm gathering here is that ATI is better. I'd love to hear more experiences, good or bad, with either brand.

Does running in 1920x1200 screw up anything on the computer - -i.e. games not displaying properly, running slowly, etc. I don't know how common it is as a resolution on the PC at this point, but even on a Mac I have games that have display errors, and most don't support the native resolution at all. I feel like getting this monitor to work with a PC requires jumping through a lot of hoops. If it works in the end, I don't mind, but will I regret it and wish I had just gotten a more compatible monitor?

osxisfun
Sep 6, 2004, 11:17 PM

hi kp.

here's what i did.

i own 2 apple 20" lcds (the old style not the new silver style)

I bought this:

http://www.compucable.com/peripheral...#ADCDVI-ADC-AB

Which is a adc version of a switcher.

I too built a pc (for testing my stuff) and i bought what i thought was a good nvida card.

so far so good. the only thing you have to remember is to switch to PC then turn your pc on otherwise the video does not "catch" and you need to restart the PC.

I recently ported my app over and realized the nvida card is not driving my monitor at the absolute correct rez.

1680x1050

single lines where showing up as sometimes 2 pixels and sometimes one so i am now on a search for a new video card to drive my apple lcd. i am aware of the lcd tweaking software on for windows but it never quite got my lcd looking ok. so i am about to say **** it to my nvidia card and buy an ATI card 9600XT which i proced at circuit vity for 200bucks.

i was about to buy a new 17 pc LCD but the lowsest priced 17 inchers run with a crap VGA out port to f that.

so i am going to search the archives and see if the 9600XT ATI will drive my apple lcd at the proper rez.

if so i will buy that instead of a pc of shite LCD for twice the cost.

a quick note. i am first going to see if nvdia has new drivers that support my lcd. (it was a off brand nvidia which i found out later is not the best idea.)

also, you really do get what you pay for. in the pc world there is an illusion of cheap. but when you end up getting the quality parts you really don't save that much compared to the mac. blah blah i know you milage may vary but beware.

osxisfun
Sep 7, 2004, 11:41 PM

Well frell me dead.

I downloaded the latest drivers for my geforce4 ti 4200 acgp 8x nvidia card and low and behold there was a setting for my apple 20" 1680 x 1050....

Oh what a difference it makes. perfect rez. its like a whole new monitor. the changes stuck thru hot and cold restarts.

bravo to nvidia.

this just saved me 200$ on a new vid card. think i'll buy virutal pc for windows now.

nice........

Forum Links
Forum Rules