Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Memory Leaks!!!

Memory Leaks!!!
ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2005, 02:09 AM

Are there any apps for checking memory leaks?

BTW - i have all of these Menubar apps and i think that they are the reason for memory problems.

PowerBooks G4 - 2GB of ram!

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2005, 02:52 PM

/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor, then sort by Virtual Memory or Real Memory and look at the memory usage. I found Meteorologist using about 800MB of VM last night. That seemed a bit high to me for one small program...

Otherwise, no, I don't know of any that does that specifically.

EDIT: Just checked it again and it shows Meteorologist as using over 1.4GB!
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2005, 10:52 PM

Safari has some memory issue for sure.. I got a screen shot of the Activity Monitor utility, of Safari taking 217mb of real memory, and over 740mb of virtual memory. It was running mighty slow by this time. This on a 12" powerbook, with 768mb of ram.
I go a long time between restarts tho, including safari itself. So thats partly why I get to see this happen. Still, i never had this happen that I noticed, in 10.3
Sounds like a leak?
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2005, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by ZXspectrum
Are there any apps for checking memory leaks?
/Developer/Applications/Performance Tools/MallocDebug.app

There are plenty of fun tools if you install the optional developer package!
╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

suthercd
Senior User
Jun 1, 2005, 08:01 AM

'leaks executable name' identifies unreachable memory buffers. 'man leaks' in the Terminal to get a more detailed explanation and a comparison with MallocDebug ( MallogDebug.app is the GUI version).

ZXspectrum  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2005, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Anubis IV
/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor, then sort by Virtual Memory or Real Memory and look at the memory usage. I found Meteorologist using about 800MB of VM last night. That seemed a bit high to me for one small program...

Otherwise, no, I don't know of any that does that specifically.

EDIT: Just checked it again and it shows Meteorologist as using over 1.4GB!
thanks i know Activity Monitor, but i am looking for an app that will actually tell me what app is having abnormal memory usage. just somthing that will do more then AM.

gregpins
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2005, 09:38 AM

I definitely feel like the longer the uptime, the slower my PowerBook is, which seems like it could be related to memory leaks. I log out and log back in and everything is back to being pretty quick.

trip
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2005, 09:49 AM

I think you need something that records memory activity. Most memory leaks are not constant, they are triggered by an event such as user interacation or system conflicts. So unless you plan to stare at the activity monitor all day I would suggest somthing better. At least an application that doesn't go into the background when using other apps. OneI can think of would be AquaMon. Anyone know of apps that record memory usage stats throughout the day ?
( Last edited by trip; Jun 1, 2005 at 10:01 AM. )
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

Forum Links
Forum Rules