Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Cleaning the glossy laptop monitor screen ?

Cleaning the glossy laptop monitor screen ?
newbieMacUser2006
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2006, 08:22 PM

I read in the directions to use plain water with a lint free cloth.

There is a huge smear in the middle, with apparent scratches when I did exactly what they recommended.

Is there anything else I can do? thanks in advance once more. I've learned a lot reading here

cyrana
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2006, 08:40 PM

I've had good luck with distilled water and cotton balls.

digitalscrap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2006, 10:14 PM

If you are going to use a cloth, be sure to use a microfiber cloth. Other cloths can leave very fine scratches, and they are very visible on the glossy screen.

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Nov 28, 2006, 03:26 PM

Buy some distilled water, put it in a spray bottle to mist it onto the screen, then use a microfibre cloth to clean it. That's what I do. I have a Nikon cloth too
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2006, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz View Post
Buy some distilled water, put it in a spray bottle to mist it onto the screen, then use a microfibre cloth to clean it. That's what I do. I have a Nikon cloth too
I've read not to spray liquid directly onto the screen, but onto the cloth instead. I'm not sure if it really makes a difference though.
 Certified AppleCare Technician

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 03:43 PM

Microfibre or silk cloth -- what you get for cleaning camera lenses or glasses. Then use a 50% mixture of isopropyl alcohol and distilled water.

Dip the cloth in, wipe it down, be sure to de-gunk any dried-up sugar water or whatever else is on your screen, then use another cloth of the same kind, but dry, to wipe any residue off. It requires some rubbing, but at the end it works wonders and your screen looks like new.

paulc
Nov 28, 2006, 05:53 PM

I tend to stick with KlearScreen liquids and their microfiber clothes.

"Lint free" wipes can be made of paper, and paper is made from wood and over time CAN scratch such delicate surfaces. Real honest to goodness cotton is actually better than lint free.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 06:46 PM

Meh, I just use water and paper towels. No scratches that I know of, and it makes the screen shine when I'm done.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Muffin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2006, 06:48 PM

I use OptiMist Prime and a micro cloth on all LCD surfaces with fantastic results..yes even the Glossy Screens!
MBP 15.4" 2.4 | iMac 20" 2.4 | Mac Pro 2.66 | 17" iMac G5 iSight | PM Quicksilver 867 G4

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2006, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Meh, I just use water and paper towels. No scratches that I know of, and it makes the screen shine when I'm done.
haha i love it, im similar, i use a "blanket" my friends made me for my camera lens. works wonders.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2006, 02:20 AM

I just use the little cloth that came with my glasses. If I need to put some water on there, I'll just breath onto the screen, just like cleaning glasses.

Macintosh Sauce
Nov 29, 2006, 05:06 AM

Use a product called "CleanDr." It is excellent for cleaning any LCD screen. You can find it in most electronics stores. This product leaves no streaks whatsoever...

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2006, 01:19 PM

Most of those cleaning solutions are just what I recommended -- a mixture of isopropyl alcohol and distilled water. Save yourself the money and mix it up on your own. :-P

Panz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2006, 02:37 PM

I took Tomchu's advice and used a microfibre cloth and it worked a treat even without water. Definately didnt make any scratches but always remember to make sure the cloth itself hasnt picked up anything that you could (without knowing) rub onto your screen.

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2006, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Panz View Post
I took Tomchu's advice and used a microfibre cloth and it worked a treat even without water. Definately didnt make any scratches but always remember to make sure the cloth itself hasnt picked up anything that you could (without knowing) rub onto your screen.
Exactly. Microfiber cloths pick up any small particles and hang on to them for dear life. In fact, mine is full of tiny wood chips from inside my desk. Does anybody know how to clean the cloths? Do you just throw them in the wash?
 Certified AppleCare Technician

flukewurm
Nov 29, 2006, 06:17 PM

spit and a t shirt.

Panz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2006, 06:37 PM

lol I could never do the above!

I'm not sure if you can clean micro fibre cloths but luckily i live near cheap store where you can buy 4 of them for �1 so i just tend to buy them every now and again.

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2006, 03:14 AM

I'm currently in southern Iraq. I think I'll try the water and paper towel approach! (don't really have any other option)

Panz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2006, 07:17 PM

be careful with the paper towell i think you could actualy end up scratching it that way. You'd be better the dampen a cloth or clothing.

cmag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2006, 06:35 PM

Glasses cloth--no water--works.

wake266
Dec 3, 2006, 11:38 PM

I use a product i bought at an apple store called Iklear, it works really well

Forum Links
Forum Rules