Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > two problem with 27" iMac and OS10.8.2

two problem with 27" iMac and OS10.8.2
Yarlington
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2013, 08:58 PM

Since purchasing my latest imac last December i have spent some considerable time and energy trying to get it to recognise and use iWorks , I have been on the help line and done all the things they suggested , still no luck so I eventually overcame the problem by resorting to running Office Works. Not ideal but office works does the job I wanted , I already had it also so it was not a new expense for me .
But now I have a second problem discovered over the weekend and i cannot find a work around for it , I have searched and googled for answers unsuccessfully.

For some reason my computer (27" iMac ,232Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel Core 95 ) running 10.8.2 is slower than treacle when copying, deleting or even moving files. e.g. I was trying to select files of photos I had taken and place them into folders according to subject, a simple task using the inbuilt hard drive but I get messages "Preparing to move 20 files to "birds" folder" and then sometimes it does the transfer accompanied by a second message "Moving 20 files to "birds" or as right now it just hangs , I am trying to shift about 140mb of photos at a time , a very minor task and on my old iMac (running 10.7.5) it is almost instantaneous.

Similarly if i try to delete files it takes forever and for the record I have not got "secure delete" selected in preferences ,deleting files is very very slow.
I can only think it must be a fault with the OS installation (how does one do a fresh install without discs or DVD drive on these latest iMacs?) I had to install Photoshop via "remote disc" and that took a long time too.

I am getting to the stage I think my mac may have problems ,I did a disc utility check of the hard drive/s and they are reported as fault free.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem and is there a cure for it?
BTW I gave up on the last copy attempt but the computer (finder) is still displaying "Preparing to move..." and "stopping" the darn thing is even reluctant to stop it seems!

I did a lot of my file shifting with external hard drives by using the older iMac but I cannot use that for files on this unit

any suggestions appreciated

Ron

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2013, 09:01 PM

Do you have MacFUSE installed? Older versions of some virtual computing environments (VMware Fusion, Parallels) and third-party NTFS drivers used it for accessing Windows file systems. There was also some iPod mounting utility (iPodDisk?) that would install it to make the iPod show in the finder.

It will cause disk access problems with 10.8, as it hasn't been updated in five years.

Yarlington  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2013, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Do you have MacFUSE installed? Older versions of some virtual computing environments (VMware Fusion, Parallels) and third-party NTFS drivers used it for accessing Windows file systems. There was also some iPod mounting utility (iPodDisk?) that would install it to make the iPod show in the finder.

It will cause disk access problems with 10.8, as it hasn't been updated in five years.
No , no such software , it is basically a clean install (as delivered) with a few bits of software, Office works ,Photoshop installed

Yarlington  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2013, 11:37 PM

just got off Apple help line ( the computer is still in the first 90 days) and we did a restart after removing the power cord for a few seconds and then a OPTION ,COMMAND,P,R while restarting ,the old "reset the PRAM" trick , took me back to OS 6 and 7 days!!!!

Although I was assured it is not the same just the same mechanical process and the darn thing is (for the moment) flying when deleting , moving and copying files .

Glad it was so easy to solve but it does make you wonder what actually happened to the system to need it

No idea how to get the iWorks problem sorted but I still have a month or so to go so may tackle that again one day , last time it was 3 hours on the phone - not a pleasant experience no matter how friendly the guys may try to be

Ron

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2013, 04:50 AM

What is the problem with iWork?

Yarlington  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2013, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
What is the problem with iWork?
I quite simply will not work at all , it tries to open a file or start up and just crashes out giving a message "the document "name" could not be opened" when trying Pages or Numbers
hmm that is progress it was not even getting that far before , try Keynote
"An unexpected error has occurred.Please quit and reopen Keynote." - that is the usual - which just happened
I am converting files to Office works format and working on those , hate giving in but it is one of those crazy problems , one day it will sort itself (perhaps a software update?) or I will find an easy way to do it until then ........
I tried loading in every way possible and also updating to the latest but my broadband speed and limits prohibit me from repeatedly doing that
any ideas appreciated though :-)
Preferably not involving massive installs again
Ron

Forum Links
Forum Rules