Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > What processors will work in a Sawtooth G4 (AGP)

What processors will work in a Sawtooth G4 (AGP)
Avon
Senior User
Oct 2, 2002, 11:34 AM

Im looking to upgrade the processor in my 400 mhz G4, AGP Graphics. I have seen the macopz.com site and would like to do the same. I am wondering if the QS 876 processor will work in the Sawtooth board? Has anyone tried? I understand that it wil run at 800 mhz and it will require some hacking to fit, but will it work on this board?

Thanks....

superlarry
Senior User
Oct 3, 2002, 12:39 PM

check out http://www.powerlogix.com/ and http://www.sonnettech.com/ for commercial upgrades.. i don't know about taking a processor from a newer tower, though

Avon  (op)
Senior User
Oct 3, 2002, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by superlarry:
check out http://www.powerlogix.com/ and http://www.sonnettech.com/ for commercial upgrades.. i don't know about taking a processor from a newer tower, though
I want to avoid this route, its rather costly.

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2002, 11:13 AM

i have a DP 800 car here, will it work in an g4/400 AGP model?

I have a dual 1GHz upgrade for the AGP G4 on order, Id rather get a DP 1GHz/1334 for the DP 800 and swap the 800 into the 400

Thanks for any info

Avon  (op)
Senior User
Oct 8, 2002, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by mikellanes:
i have a DP 800 car here, will it work in an g4/400 AGP model?

I have a dual 1GHz upgrade for the AGP G4 on order, Id rather get a DP 1GHz/1334 for the DP 800 and swap the 800 into the 400

Thanks for any info
I have not found out if newer single processors will work. They dont fit thats for sure, hacking of the heat sink and ide connector might be nessesary. What I have found out is early G4 sawtooth models do not support dual processors. Go to powerlogixs web site and download thier utility to tell if your sawtooth can take dual processors. Mine can't.

tr
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2002, 11:45 PM

check out the www.xlr8yourmac.com forums and the page on processor upgrades for good info on people putting other processors in sawtooths.

you're going to have to play with the bus multipliers since sawtooths are 100Mhz and everything later was 133. plus, G4's starting with the digital audio ones had ADC, which means that they have different motherboards and power supplies (to supply the 28V to power the monitor), so if you find a processor from a later machine, you may run into some problems. and the uni-N rev 3 and heatsink issues were already noted.

personally, being the owner of a uni-N rev 3 sawtooth 450, i think the best route is to just go with a processor upgrade from powerlogix or sonnet. it's too much of a hassle to upgrade using spare parts.

tr

Avon  (op)
Senior User
Oct 9, 2002, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by tr:

personally, being the owner of a uni-N rev 3 sawtooth 450, i think the best route is to just go with a processor upgrade from powerlogix or sonnet. it's too much of a hassle to upgrade using spare parts.

tr
I too have a uni-n rev 3 and have come to the conclusion thats its just too much of a pain. Its really not that expensive to upgrade to 800 mhz... only 450 - 500 bucks. Compared to 200 and hacking a heat sink and idea cable with the possibility of it not working or messing up your board.

Here is my new question....

Will a gigabit board fit into a sawtooth case??? They sell for 150 bucks on ebay and if its a bolt in replacement its an easy way to get dual processor cabablilities. Will it just drop in?

Thanks.

tr
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2002, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by Avon:

I too have a uni-n rev 3 and have come to the conclusion thats its just too much of a pain. Its really not that expensive to upgrade to 800 mhz... only 450 - 500 bucks. Compared to 200 and hacking a heat sink and idea cable with the possibility of it not working or messing up your board.

Here is my new question....

Will a gigabit board fit into a sawtooth case??? They sell for 150 bucks on ebay and if its a bolt in replacement its an easy way to get dual processor cabablilities. Will it just drop in?

Thanks.
you know, i think a gig E will fit. the gig E revisions came out right after the first sawtooths, like in 2000 or so, because i remember kicking myself after they intro'd dual 450 machines, when i just purchased a single for the same price. but i guess that's the life of a PM user

yeah, it should fit fine, so if you can get one, give it a go. the only thing stopping me from doing that (besides actually getting the money to buy a gig E board) is that i really like my internal firewire port, and i think they took the connector off the mobo for the gig E's. i guess i could solder one back on...

tr

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2002, 01:15 PM

i have a Gig Enet G4 (Mystic)

what do i need to hack the IDE connection for if im just swapping the processor module?

not sure im following here....

also looks like the heat sink will fit no problem, ill have to hack a fan on to it though.

rcpmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2002, 02:30 AM

The response to this Idea of swapping mobos in a sawtooth is underwhelming. There must be some hard info out there somewhere!

Forum Links
Forum Rules