Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Is mail.app rule possible?

Is mail.app rule possible?
Sakino
Senior User
Jun 22, 2005, 09:38 AM

Alright my local school has its own junk mail filter, and all junk mail is put in a folder called "Junk Mail." Well lately I have been getting a large amount of junk mail and was wondering if there was any options to have it deleted(similar to the one that mail.app offeres with it's junk mail folder).

Basically this is what I want it to do: Delete all messages within Junk Mail folder, once closing mail.app.
Basically transfering the files from folder "Junk Mail"(server side school folder) to trash.

Thanks
Josh

Sakino  (op)
Senior User
Jun 23, 2005, 12:52 AM

ttt

Sakino  (op)
Senior User
Jun 29, 2005, 02:48 PM

Give me a bump!

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2005, 07:00 PM

I think the reason you may not be getting responses is that is a little unclear what you are asking. Are you talking about reaching out from mail.app and deleting messages on the main server's when you close your local client email program ?

If this is what you want to do, then I would suggest going into mail.app-->preferences-->Accounts. Chose the account into which the junk mail is coming. Chose the 'Advanced' tab. Check the box that says "Remove copy from server after retrieving message" and choose "When moved from inbox". I don't know for sure, but I would think that having the mail go into a junk folder would count as moving it from inbox which means it would remove it from the server. Normal junk mail rules would then apply to your local copies of these messages in your local junk mail folder.

Just my theory based on what I'm guessing you are asking.

larkost
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2005, 07:45 PM

Assuming that your school is using IMAP, just map the Junk mailbox to be Mail.app's Junk mailbox (Mailbox->Use this mailbox for->Junk), and then set the Junk folder to delete when quitting mail (preferences->Accounts-><the_account>->Mailbox Behaviors)

Forum Links
Forum Rules