Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X v10.8 - Mountain Lion

OS X v10.8 - Mountain Lion (Page 5)
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2012, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
What's the draw of a "Getting Started with iPhone 4S" workshop? Any tips you didn't already know about?
No, not really. It was free and it's one of my days off.
Discover everything that's new with the iPhone 4S. In this hands-on workshop, we'll show you how to capture every moment with the 8 megapixel camera and the 1080p HD video camera. You'll learn the ins and outs of iMessage, Notification Center, Siri, Reminders, FaceTime, and over 200 new features
It was an hour and we got as far as Siri. iMessage, FaceTime, Notification Center was not covered. Notification Center was what I was most interested in. (what to turn off etc)
The next workshop is called "Going Further with iPhone 4S"

Go beyond the basics of your iPhone 4S with this in-depth workshop. Learn more about how Siri works with built-in apps. Get to know the details of 1080p HD video recording which includes trim, edit, and sharing through email, text or AirPlay. You'll also get to see just how fast the dual-core A5 chip really is. As well as the advanced tour of iCloud—your chance to access your digital life wirelessly without any syncing.
45/47

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2012, 02:26 PM

Were cute Apple girls in attendance? Haha.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2012, 04:58 PM

My guess is that the Apple Store employee was an idiot. Pretty sure Mountain Lion will install on anything that can download the installer from the App Store.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2012, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
My guess is that the Apple Store employee was an idiot. Pretty sure Mountain Lion will install on anything that can download the installer from the App Store.
How do you know?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2012, 05:40 PM

A search on the Apple boards showed many people asking the same question. I could not find any replies from any Apple moderators.
45/47

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2012, 09:03 PM

OK, this is easily answered by someone with an unused HD lying around. Erase it and try to install ML. I'm looking for one after dinner, but am surprised nobody has tried this yet.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2012, 07:57 AM

Yeah ... I woulda been fine if Time Machine hadn't randomly screwed up.
Time Machine didn't randomly screw up. You were using an early Beta of a new OS. You should expect disastrous behaviour in this situation. If you were using the machine for actual work as well then...

A ML boot on an external drive should have sated your early adopter curiosity leaving your old system for actual work.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2012, 11:53 PM

So I finally got tired of Illustrator crashing under Mountain Lion. Of course while in a fit of rage, I decided to reinstall Lion ... not a big deal ... aside from the fact that I didn't think to confirm that TIme Machine had been behaving itself ... which apparently it wasn't. So I lost everything from the 28th of February.

Well I shouldn't say everything, just anything important on my boot drive ... like the fourth chapter of my graphic novel I was already 13 pages into ... sigh. I actually lost some of chapter 3 too but that was backed up on my non SSD drive. Super frustrating as well as embarrassing. I might end up paying for Mac Keeper if it can find some of the files.
What messed up? I had issues going back as well. I figured out that there were issues restoring iLife, so I just erased and installed Lion again and restored from Time Machine but not any applications. Everything worked perfectly then.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2012, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Just came back from the Apple store from a "Getting Started with iPhone 4S" workshop. After the workshop I asked about upgrading to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard. I was told I will need to upgrade to Lion first. Mountain Lion will not instal if Lion is not installed.
At this stage in the development cycle I seriously doubt Apple Store employees know any more than the rest of us about the how's and why's of this.

They'll get told/trained just before the launch.

Salty
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2012, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
At this stage in the development cycle I seriously doubt Apple Store employees know any more than the rest of us about the how's and why's of this.

They'll get told/trained just before the launch.
And even then I think it's fair to say that Apple Store employees rarely know any more than the rest of us ... and by rarely I mean never.

gregfripp
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2012, 10:14 AM

my mountain lion will not show my outside hard drive
i have tried several times, but it still doesn't show it
is this well known by others?
greg

Ham Sandwich
Apr 8, 2012, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Were cute Apple girls in attendance? Haha.
Yes, but 98% of said "cute girls" are also insecure.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2012, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
Yes, but 98% of said "cute girls" are also insecure.
Insecure like Windows, or insecure like OS X ?

-t

Jackson980
Banned
Apr 18, 2012, 02:46 AM

Well, i think the new Mountain Lion includes the following features:
•A new Messages application, which replaces iChat;
•A Notification Center, reminiscent of iOS;
•Reminders and Notes applications;
•Game Center;
•And a move away from iCal to Calendar and away from Address Book to Contacts.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2012, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jackson980 View Post
Well, i think the new Mountain Lion includes the following features:
•A new Messages application, which replaces iChat;
•A Notification Center, reminiscent of iOS;
•Reminders and Notes applications;
•Game Center;
•And a move away from iCal to Calendar and away from Address Book to Contacts.
I think so too.

And so does Apple, since that's what they've posted on their homepage.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2012, 05:35 AM

Smells like a spammer bumping up his post count so he can get a sig and start spamming with it.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2012, 11:35 PM

Ok you can leapfrog Lion to Mountain Lion. (sorry if this has been posted in another thread.
Apple - Upgrade your Mac to OS X Mountain Lion.
Step 2:
Make sure you have Lion or the latest version of Snow Leopard.
While you have the About This Mac window open, check what version of OS X your Mac is running.

If you are running Lion (10.7.x), you’re ready to update to Mountain Lion. Go to Step 3. If you are running Snow Leopard (10.6.x), update to the latest version of OS X Snow Leopard before you purchase OS X Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store. Click the Apple icon and choose Software Update to install Snow Leopard v10.6.8, the latest version.
Noe I need to find out if my iMac made the cut.
45/47

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2012, 11:50 AM

OK. I went to Apple's support page and punched in my serial number and it says

so I guess I won't be able to load Mountain Lion.

EDIT: According to ars technica mid 2007 iMacs will be supported.
Older Macs voted off the Mountain Lion island
Apple: Upgrade your Mac to OS X Mountain Lion

Step 1:
Make sure your Mac can run Mountain Lion.

Your Mac must be one of the following models:

iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
Xserve (Early 2009)

If you are running Lion, you can find out if your current Mac qualifies by clicking the Apple icon at the top left of your screen, choosing About This Mac, then clicking More Info.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2012, 07:26 AM

I went to the Apple ML support page and confirmed my iMac made the cut.
45/47

Ham Sandwich
Jul 25, 2012, 05:59 AM

Greetings. I am unable to delete my posts, and apparently you moderators are on some kind of a strike.

Therefore, I have removed the content of the original post by hand.

I am asking for this post to be deleted, since I don't seem to have the option to do that myself.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2012, 01:17 PM

The fact that one of ML's bigger new features, AirPlay video mirroring is now limited to mid 2011 macs or newer is way way lame!!

Thorzdad
Jul 25, 2012, 01:25 PM

The fact that one of ML's bigger new features, AirPlay video mirroring is now limited to mid 2011 macs or newer is way way lame!!
How dare you question the infinite logic of Cupertino! Now, go buy a new Mac immediately!*

*Which will also be arbitrarily obsoleted in one year.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2012, 02:20 PM

If you'd read up on it before now, you'd know why it is that way.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 25, 2012, 03:51 PM

Greetings. I am unable to delete my posts, and apparently you moderators are on some kind of a strike.

I am asking for this post to be deleted, since I don't seem to have the option to do that myself.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2012, 06:49 PM

Oh yeah, big suck.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2012, 07:06 PM

Dictation is not working. At least 2 discussions at Apple show that many people have that issue.

-t

mindwaves
Jul 26, 2012, 01:21 AM

How exactly is this offline Reading List supposed to work? It never worked in L and it doesn't seem to work in ML.

I use the share button to "add to reading list" and it gets added to the left sidebar of Safari and it says "waiting" and doesn't do anything.

I thought it was because I was visiting a long website but then when I added a simple text blog to the RL, it still says "waiting" and doesn't change.

mindwaves
Jul 26, 2012, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
How exactly is this offline Reading List supposed to work? It never worked in L and it doesn't seem to work in ML.
I use the share button to "add to reading list" and it gets added to the left sidebar of Safari and it says "waiting" and doesn't do anything.
I thought it was because I was visiting a long website but then when I added a simple text blog to the RL, it still says "waiting" and doesn't change.
Ok, it seems to work now. Weird.

mindwaves
Jul 26, 2012, 02:17 AM

Switching between Spaces in Lion and ML.

I'm confused and thought this would be fixed in ML, but it is not.

I likes Spaces and use it often to switch between fullscreen apps. However, whenever I swipe to my home screen (left most screen besides Dashboard), the smallest window always pops up as the frontmost window on top of my main window (Safari). So if I have a Safari window open and AIM buddylist open, the buddylist will always be the frontmost window when swiping back to my home screen, even if Safari was the last active Window.

Very annoying. Bug or feature? And how do I stop it besides closing my smallest windows before swiping between home screens?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2012, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Very annoying. Bug or feature?
It is probably just you. I've never seen or heard of that behavior on other machines. I would suggest deleting ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.spaces.plist.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2012, 06:28 AM

I will say one positive thing: Mountain Lion (for me at least) is making iCloud more relevant. I use notes and reminders a lot on my iPhone so I love that they sync on my iMac now!

Ham Sandwich
Jul 26, 2012, 07:01 AM

Anto39x
Jul 26, 2012, 08:27 AM

Hi to all....

Any Pro Graphic Designer Users out there update to Mountain Lion using apps like Quark 9, CS 6, Suitcase Fusion 4...? how did you get on... any problems... did you have to re-install all the apps not supported by Gatekeeper...?

Any comments most welcome... I have always updated the day of an Apple OSX release... but I am very much worried about this whole Gatekeeper app and the problems it could cause my workflow.

Regards,
Anthony
Irish MacUser and MacAddict

Demonhood
Administrator
Jul 26, 2012, 08:42 AM

If you're worried about Gatekeeper interfering with your workflow, just turn it off. You can set it to "Allow All Applications" in your Security preferences. I've run CS5 and CS6 without any issues.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2012, 08:46 AM

Now ML is out it looks like if you were tardy in upgrading to Lion, but Can't run ML (MacBook, Air, Pro etc users) then you've waited too long. Apple have removed Lion from the app store. If you've already bought Lion you can still get it from the purchases tab in the store but anyone still hoping to upgrade from SL to Lion is looking at a pile of unlucky. Or trying to track down a USB install from a) a pal or b) apple for $$$

Matt Sargent
Jul 26, 2012, 10:28 AM

So far Mountain Lion has been a great success in my books. lol

gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2012, 04:23 PM

That was the most painful OS upgrade I've ever gone through. A few minutes into the install process, it kept coming up with an error saying that the installer was corrupt and to download it again. Which I did. 4 or 5 times, the last time bouncing to a different network thinking that maybe something on my ISPs end was f'ing things up.

After much digging, I found a post somewhere that someone made in regards to Lion (which I had no problem upgrading to) referencing the same problem and noted that it was because the machine was booted into the 32-bit kernel. Sure enough, forcing a reboot to the 64-bit kernel made the problem go away. Why they couldn't have made this more obvious, I don't know.

Then after the install was "complete", it somehow booted straight into the recovery utilities, giving me options to do a fresh install or restore from Time Machine. Mild panic set in...this was going to be a pain in the a$$! Instead, I quit the recovery utilities and rebooted...

After that, it went into setup mode and prompted me to create a new user account. What? said I. This was supposed to be an upgrade...I already have a user account set up! There were no other options, though, so I went ahead. It rejected my first choice, which was the name of my "existing" user account, which I took to be a good sign. Sure enough, after I had gone through the setup for the new account and logged in, I found that my old user account still existed and that I could log into it and delete the new one which had just been created.

6 hours later, my iMac is running 10.8. Eesh.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2012, 10:07 PM

It's back! It's back!

Holding down shift-option volume keys now changes the volume by small increments!!!!!!!!
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2012, 06:10 AM

The inability to delay iCal (sorry, Calendar.app) alarms by anything other than 15 mins is really annoying. I often used to get notified two days in advance, then delay the reminder until two hours before the event started.

Also - you used to be able to make a new event in iCal and name it '1300 foo bar' and it would make a new event called 'foo bar' at 1:00pm - no longer... Boo!

Edit - it seems that now you have to type '13:00 foo bar' (i.e. include a colon)

hayesk
Jul 27, 2012, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
Well Apple's not getting any more of my money for a new portable... make a decent $600 Macbook first, until then, I'll support the used market, and I'll run that computer into the ground before I upgrade.
Besides it's not a feature I plan to use.
Not gonna happen. Apple does not build budget computers with razor thin margins. The cheapest you'll get from Apple is a refurb MacBook Air.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2012, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
It's back! It's back!

Holding down shift-option volume keys now changes the volume by small increments!!!!!!!!
Actually, 10.7.4 brought that one back. Works also for brightness and keyboard backlight.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2012, 04:45 AM

Are the screen resolution prefs any different on a non retina mac? With the retina MBP having the resolution independent scaling I was wondering if non retina macs had similar prefs in ML.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

P
Jul 28, 2012, 05:39 AM

This is because it uses a feature Intel calls QuickSync, basically a fixed function encoder for H.264, that is only included in Sandy Bridge (2nd gen Core i processors) and later. Without QuickSync, one would have to encode all video on the fly in software, which is a quite heavy task. The only other Macs that could have supported that feature without choking (and are supported in ML) are the Mac Pros from Nehalem and onwards and the quad core iMacs. Since the feature is likely mainly meant for laptops, and both the Core 2 and Arrandale MBPs are too weak, Apple didn't bother making a software version.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2012, 06:00 AM

OK. I'm one of the lucky ones who made the cut and is going from SL to ML. I still have several PPC apps. (losing them is no biggie) What do I need to do with these apps prior to installing ML?
45/47

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2012, 06:33 AM

Nothing. They just won't work afterwards.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2012, 06:42 AM

What is a good uninstaller app? (preferably free) I know deleting the app leaves behind files.
45/47

gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2012, 08:30 AM

I have AppDelete and it seems to work fairly well.

P
Jul 28, 2012, 08:34 AM

What is a good uninstaller app? (preferably free) I know deleting the app leaves behind files.
In most cases it does not, no - unless you mean a 4 KB preference file.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2012, 08:43 AM

Never mind. I went to Apple's ML support page. Any PPC software and associated file will be move to "Incompatible Software" folder.

Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard, OS X Lion v10.7, and OS X Mountain Lion are designed to protect your Mac from certain incompatible software that can quit unexpectedly or cause other issues.

When you install the operating system or when you migrate from another Mac, known-incompatible software is moved to a folder named "Incompatible Software".

OS X also prevents known-incompatible software from opening. If you see a message indicating that you can't use the version of the application, contact the software's vendor or visit their website for a later, compatible version.

Software restricted during installation and migration

During installation, Mac OS X moves known-incompatible software to a folder named "Incompatible Software" at the root level of the hard drive. If you see this folder on your Mac, see what applications are in it, then check with the application's developer for available updates.

To obtain a new version of an Apple application, open Mac App Store or visit the Apple Store website.

Software restricted from opening

After installation, if you try to open ("launch") software known to quit unexpectedly, Mac OS X will prevent the application from opening, and you will receive a dialog notifying you of the incompatibility. If you see such a dialog on your Mac, then check with the software vendor to see if any updates are available. To obtain a new version of an Apple application, open Mac App Store or visit the Apple Store website.
45/47

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2012, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Are the screen resolution prefs any different on a non retina mac? With the retina MBP having the resolution independent scaling I was wondering if non retina macs had similar prefs in ML.
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/os-x-10-8/20/#displays

Forum Links
Forum Rules