Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just Ordered New Ti - How Long to Ship

Just Ordered New Ti - How Long to Ship (Page 3)
<kwolff67>
Oct 24, 2001, 11:28 PM

UPDATE! Order number w2071444
It appears I posted too soon. The site has updated again since my last post. It has shipped. It says partial shipment because my cancelled 667/30gb/512 stock config was still listed on the order (even though it's been marked cancelled since the 16th. I changed the order within 1 hour. all orders/revisions took place between 9:30am est and 11am est on the 16th).
Anyway, it appears this is one of the first BTO configs to ship. I have a fedex tracking number and a checkmark next to my revised config (again, 667/48gn/768 RAM).

Too bad I leave for vaction on Friday and won't be back till November 4th. Oh well.

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2001, 11:59 AM

Woohoo! I will be getting my Ti 500 from MacMall tomorrow! It was shipped on 10.24.01. I ordered it around noon of 10.16.01

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2001, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by iRebound:
<STRONG>Woohoo! I will be getting my Ti 500 </STRONG>
you mean 550, right?

mackaikai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2001, 02:15 PM

they better ship my TiBook in 3 days (it's been 7 days!!!) OR I WANT DISCOUNT

massey
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2001, 03:47 PM

does anyone know if apple ships the powerbooks in bunches thru customs in alaska then individual to the consumers....just wondering how some get them first and others of us wait soooooo long....just a little impatient...ordered mine on tuesday the 16th before noon and it still hasn't shipped

just waiting....

Nate LFE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2001, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by massey:
<STRONG>does anyone know if apple ships the powerbooks in bunches thru customs in alaska then individual to the consumers....just wondering how some get them first and others of us wait soooooo long....just a little impatient...ordered mine on tuesday the 16th before noon and it still hasn't shipped

just waiting....</STRONG>
They seem to be shipped individually from Taiwan -- at least that's the pattern that's been emergeing. You were given either a 10 or 12 business day shipping estimate ... that's either 10/30 or 11/1... I wouldn't worry until after then...

I just called apple about my 667/512/48/DVD ordered tuesday afternoon and was told to expect shipment mid to late next week....

[ 10-25-2001: Message edited by: Nate LFE ]

massey
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2001, 05:37 PM

you know an apple rep told me it was getting ready to ship in 24-48 hours,..that was 3 days ago...

massey
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2001, 05:48 PM

anyone know the time frame from alaska to your destination....trying to figure the time it takes for fedex to ship it to california from alaska customs

massey
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2001, 06:04 PM

I am starting to think that education customers are on a different queue then commerical customers...

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2001, 06:12 PM

<STRONG>I am starting to think that education customers are on a different queue then commerical customers...</STRONG>
Which way? Education is faster, or slower?
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

massey
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2001, 06:17 PM

i think education is slower the the commerical customers even though I purchased through the apple store,...how much does that suck...

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2001, 06:31 PM

I ordered education, too. Can't yet say if it's slower. Definitely some people got theirs pretty quick, but I haven't yet read about deliveries to people whose order numbers are above mine. Maybe they just hit a lull in the production cache. My order number is W2071955 and I ordered the 16th and the Apple Store then showed 12 days to ship. We're still within that time frame. Hopefully education folks won't get pushed to the bottom of the pile.

massey
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2001, 06:39 PM

true...i too hope that the education market doesn't get left behind....guess there just slowing down....kinda sucks that others are getting ti2's and we just get to ask questions about them...I heard that clubmac has shipped their customers powerbooks 667 on the 24th

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2001, 07:09 PM

<STRONG>i think education is slower the the commerical customers even though I purchased through the apple store,...how much does that suck...</STRONG>
Did you get a standard config, or a custom one?
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

<schmoe>
Oct 25, 2001, 07:14 PM

I too ordered my 667 from the Education store. However I don't think there are any delays or indeed a seperate queue for us. I believe the people who recieved theirs already bought stock models that had already been completed, anyone who recieved theirs care to comment?

&lt;Bullfrog184&gt; posted his reply from Apple in this thread:
"We realize you are very anxious to receive your order, and we are eager to ship it. At the time you placed your order for the PowerBook G4, the estimated shipping time was 12 business days. Our goal is to ship your order within 8 business days. At this time, there have been some PowerBook G4 standard prebuilt configurations that have shipped, however, there have not been any shipments of custom-configured PowerBooks like yours."
Mine has the BTO RAM and HD so I expect it will take a little longer. Anyway don't worry guys! I absolutely hate waiting, but I'm sure Apple is working as hard as possible. They want the money and sales just as much as you want the Powerbook

massey
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2001, 07:17 PM

got a standard config....just got to be patience....

<eastmac>
Oct 25, 2001, 07:31 PM

I ordered the stock Ti550 through AppleEdu on 10/22 and it's still being assembled (understandable I guess). Although a relatively short wait, it's driving me nuts. The sad thing is that the Apple Stores don't offer the education discounts at their retail stores - that just makes no sense to me. Apparently they have loads of 'em just sitting there. My opinion? Just show'em a school ID and bam! here's your TiBook. It should be that simple.

Interestingly, my girlfriend ordered her stock iBook/600/DVD on the 17th from AppleEdu and got it 5 days later straight from Taiwan. Her iBook came quickly, so my guess is that the TiBooks (especially custom orders) are just slower in shipping than other products at this point. I hope they aren't screwing us AppleEdu customers.

On a side note, sometimes resellers offer education discounts, but don't advertise. When I shopped for my PowerBook G3 (long ago), I called CDW and asked about education discounts just to see if they had any. They undercut Apple's discount price on the G3 without me even quoting Apple's price. I didn't check with them this time around, but rumor has it that CDW and other resellers have a stock of 550s and 667s waiting for new owners. Maybe worth a look if they can ship them overnight?

doctre
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2001, 07:34 PM

&lt;eastmac&gt;,

None of the BTO iBooks have shipped yet. At least from what I can tell from the iBook forum. But then again the iBook forum doesn't have a thread along these lines. I'm anxiously awaiting my BTO iBook (I just couldn't afford a 667 Tibook this time, and I needed a laptop again) and its still in the "Being Assembled" stage.
The Doctre
G4 DP 533Mhz 1.0Gig/365(40+75+250)/BT/4600/Superdrive
Mac mini 1.42/1G/80/Combo
Mac mini Core Duo 1.66/1G/100/Superdrive
iPod Mini - Silver,iPod 40Gig - Click Wheel

massey
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2001, 07:48 PM

i agree with getting an apple edu discount at the apple stores, thought i could do that but alas apple stores have rules, oh well....did anyone else order through phone,...it seems the majority of post seem to come from members with web order numbers.....

a side note...if hardware problems arise in our powerbooks while still under warranty will the apple store fix or replace it for free at location?

massey
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2001, 07:52 PM

this thread is goin' die in a week when everyone receives their powerbooks, wonder how long we can make it - 118 and countin'....

<unregisteredMike>
Oct 25, 2001, 08:16 PM

I ordered from MacConnection yesterday and they said they were expecting a big shipment on Tuesday (Oct. 30).

doctre
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2001, 08:17 PM

massey,

A co-worker here ordered his by phone about 45 minutes before I placed my weborder. He got a W# from the sales person so I'm guessing the sales people at the Apple Store phone just place a web order (or something similar) for you.
The Doctre
G4 DP 533Mhz 1.0Gig/365(40+75+250)/BT/4600/Superdrive
Mac mini 1.42/1G/80/Combo
Mac mini Core Duo 1.66/1G/100/Superdrive
iPod Mini - Silver,iPod 40Gig - Click Wheel

Danni
Oct 25, 2001, 08:25 PM

Ok since we are going for longevity and not quality, I might as well add my 2 cents worth (yes, I know that 2 cents Canadian isn't worth much). I ordered my TiBook 667 with the CD-RW on Thursday, October 18. Web order number is W20831XX. According to the website, it is still in the assembly stage How long does it take to take a stock 667 and throw a CD-RW in it? Oh well, better get another dose of patience from my stash in my classroom cupboard.

One impatient teacher,

Danni

(Oct 18th was the order date, I dunno what I was thinking of when I typed the 25th. Must be all that marking I am doing till 2 a.m.)

[ 10-25-2001: Message edited by: Danni ]

<mackaikai>
Oct 25, 2001, 08:31 PM

ordered on the 18th.....still nothing
Tibook 550/standard config

cbr600f4
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2001, 09:47 PM

Education customers are on a completely different page it seems. I was told many times that my Powerbook would ship within the next 24 hours so that I would have it before I leave on my next trip. But after being told yesterday they had no idea where my Powerbook was and they even said it had left the factory, I was told today that I could expect it to ship on the 30th. Well okay that is fine, but why in the hell did they keep telling me sooner getting my hopes up? Why did someone not just tell me the truth? I even waited on the phone for 30 minutes while they checked to see if they could find my machine after it had "left" the factory and I was supposed to be contacted back, but that never happened. They told me it was probably "stuck in customs". I am thoroughly frustrated with the online store and I would like to know if anyone knows how to contact them by e-mail on how their customer service is.

Sorry for voicing my frustrations, but when somebody tells you to expect something by a certain date when knowing it will not make it, that is just wrong. I am hoping all of you are maybe having better luck than I have been having.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Nick

<Chris>
Oct 25, 2001, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by &lt;mackaikai&gt;:
<STRONG>ordered on the 18th.....still nothing
Tibook 550/standard config</STRONG>
I ordered my 550 on the 17th, also standard config, and I'm typing on it right now! It actually shipped on Monday from Taiwan and just showed up this morning.

Danni
Oct 25, 2001, 10:00 PM

To the poster who got their 550, what was your web order number? Just to give us an idea of where we are in the line or even if this idea of them shipping them out in order is false.

Danni

schmoe
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2001, 10:01 PM

I feel for you, I sent an email to [email protected] and never even got a response. However, I imagine that the problem is a combination of serious overload and miscommunication. Remember that the computer is being assembled in Taiwan, probably by a subcontracter who provides limited information to Apple. I bet the customer service people don't have much better access to realtime information than we do with the order tracking page. Also they are completely at the mercy of whatever is entered over in Taiwan, which invariably is going to be wrong sometimes, resulting in misunderstandings over ship dates, etc.

Originally posted by cbr600f4:
<STRONG>Education customers are on a completely different page it seems. I was told many times that my Powerbook would ship within the next 24 hours so that I would have it before I leave on my next trip. But after being told yesterday they had no idea where my Powerbook was and they even said it had left the factory, I was told today that I could expect it to ship on the 30th. Well okay that is fine, but why in the hell did they keep telling me sooner getting my hopes up? Why did someone not just tell me the truth? I even waited on the phone for 30 minutes while they checked to see if they could find my machine after it had "left" the factory and I was supposed to be contacted back, but that never happened. They told me it was probably "stuck in customs". I am thoroughly frustrated with the online store and I would like to know if anyone knows how to contact them by e-mail on how their customer service is.

Sorry for voicing my frustrations, but when somebody tells you to expect something by a certain date when knowing it will not make it, that is just wrong. I am hoping all of you are maybe having better luck than I have been having.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Nick</STRONG>

massey
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2001, 10:05 PM

priority status on apple is baffling me...maybe its the 667 that are taking a bit longer...I too had a rep tell me it would be shipping in 24 hours and as I look on the status website it still says in friggin' *assembly stage* ...its just a standard config 667 through education ordered on the 16th,...so whats the deal....

<Chris>
Oct 25, 2001, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by Danni:
<STRONG>To the poster who got their 550, what was your web order number? Just to give us an idea of where we are in the line or even if this idea of them shipping them out in order is false.

Danni</STRONG>
It was order number W207727x. I understand that BTO systems are taking longer, and I know that Ingram Micro (the biggest wholesaler of Apple product) has been getting some computers, so they are out there.

massey
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2001, 01:40 AM

ok *hell yaaa* so I decided to check the infamous apple status order site and sh*t, IT SHIPPED......*quick tear* cool so I guess it'll be with me shortly, weird though..on the bottom it says in blue "No items shipped" now does that mean number of items shipped or the dreaded "no mac for you" items shipped.....

massey
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2001, 01:46 AM

ok nevermind (they should really put a period after No) so I guess it's heading to alaska.....

massey
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2001, 01:49 AM

Does FedEx through Apple with standard shipping deliver on Saturdays?

mackaikai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2001, 08:53 AM

still waiting and waiting grrrrrr, where is my STANDARD CONFIG Powerbook?

oh well

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2001, 09:24 AM

in the same boat. Not shipped yet--667/512/DVD. Some folks are just lucky like that.

Years ago when I bought a WallStreet 292, it took 30 days to get it to me, as demand outstripped supply.

skrumrei
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2001, 10:26 AM

Just received notice that my BTO (207176x) 550 TiPB has finally shippped. The order was placed the morning of the 16th. FedEx shows it coming from Rancho Cordova, CA., rather than Taiwan; that's odd, but the closer the better.

mackaikai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2001, 10:50 AM

just called Apple store again...it seems like order number WILL NOT be the order they ship out their TiBooks!!! it's all LUCK, for example, my order, placed on the 18th has not been shipped and WILL NOT be shipped earliest in the early next week due to "WAREHOUSE PROBLEM"...my order was placed into a warehouse with HUGH BACK LOG....so the manager "Dan" is switching my order to another "warehouse" to see if it can ship EARLY NEXT WEEK....if not, the manager himself will call me back......

so....to make this simple: IT DEPENDS ON THE WAREHOUSE YOUR ORDER GOT IN!....if you are lucky, your order will be filled FAST even if you just ordered recently....if you are UNLUCKY like me, you ordered early and probably won't see it being shipped til end of next week (or early next week if "LUCK" come back to me...)

oh well, good LUCK ^^

mackaikai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2001, 10:51 AM

i meant "HUGE lag"

Originally posted by mackaikai:
<STRONG>just called Apple store again...it seems like order number WILL NOT be the order they ship out their TiBooks!!! it's all LUCK, for example, my order, placed on the 18th has not been shipped and WILL NOT be shipped

earliest in the early next week due to "WAREHOUSE PROBLEM"...my order was placed into a warehouse with HUGH BACK LOG....so the manager "Dan" is switching my order to another "warehouse" to see if it can ship EARLY NEXT WEEK....if not, the manager himself will call me back......

so....to make this simple: IT DEPENDS ON THE WAREHOUSE YOUR ORDER GOT IN!....if you are lucky, your order will be filled FAST even if you just ordered recently....if you are UNLUCKY like me, you ordered early and probably won't see it being shipped til end of next week (or early next week if "LUCK" come back to me...)

oh well, good LUCK ^^</STRONG>

penum6ra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2001, 11:17 AM

So psyched! Ordered the 19th. Standard 667 Faster config. Shipped today (26th) out of Taoyuan. order number: 2084XXX or something like that... much past the 75s.

Can't wait!
&lt;penum6ra&gt;

mlaster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2001, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by penum6ra:
<STRONG>So psyched! Ordered the 19th. Standard 667 Faster config. Shipped today (26th) out of Taoyuan. order number: 2084XXX or something like that... much past the 75s.

Can't wait!
&lt;penum6ra&gt;</STRONG>
Hmm. I ordered a day earlier than you, and have a 2080XXX number. Hopefully they will get around to shipping mine soon...the anticipation is driving me crazy :-)

cbr600f4
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2001, 01:47 PM

Well luckily my TiBook just shipped today. Too bad it will be one day too late for me to take it on my 3 week trip with me. I am going to try to track it down to the hub and pick it up there before it gets on a truck. Has anyone ever done that before reading this? I would love to know how you went about it.

Nick

mlaster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2001, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by cbr600f4:
<STRONG>Well luckily my TiBook just shipped today. Too bad it will be one day too late for me to take it on my 3 week trip with me. I am going to try to track it down to the hub and pick it up there before it gets on a truck. Has anyone ever done that before reading this? I would love to know how you went about it.

Nick</STRONG>
I'm worried about the timing of my shipment as well. I'm leaving for
a trip on November 9th, and I had better have my PowerBook before
then, since that will have been 22 days since I placed the order.

I figure if it hasn't shipped by next weekend, I'll have to take a 5-hour
road trip to the D.C. Apple Store and hope that they have them in inventory :-(

<epic>
Oct 26, 2001, 04:20 PM

I just called apple store education online. They said my system will not arrive until the week of November 5th. I ordered my computer on the 17 of this month.

I got a BTO 550 with a 30 gig drive with dvd drive.

Waiting for this guy is so hard.

<wirobins>
Oct 26, 2001, 04:22 PM

I just cancelled my Apple Store order for a 550 w/airport and bought a base 550 and separate aiport card from CDW. They gave me an educational discount and my order totaled $2300 after getting raped for $90 on Saturday fedex.

At 10 am they had 7 550's in stock, no 667's as far as I know.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2001, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by &lt;wirobins&gt;:
<STRONG>I just cancelled my Apple Store order for a 550 w/airport and bought a base 550 and separate aiport card from CDW. They gave me an educational discount and my order totaled $2300 after getting raped for $90 on Saturday fedex.

At 10 am they had 7 550's in stock, no 667's as far as I know.</STRONG>
damn. $90? I called today and they said mine would most likely ship on Nov.1, a Thursday. They reminded me of my 2-day fedex that I'd paid for, and I asked if this applies to Saturday delivery as well. She said yes, it does.

I ordered Oct. 16th. 667/512/DVD. Nov. 1 is the 12th business day from time of order, and that is the time frame the Apple Store gave me when I ordered.

Like I've been saying, I'm not pissed with Apple at all. They're still well within their quoted time frame--it's just painful to see all you guys getting your 'Books and we're sooo jealous.

cbr600f4
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2001, 05:59 PM

Called FedEx to see if I could pick up my Powerbook at the distribution center in Des Moines, IA tomorrow. They said I would have to pay $10, but even if I wanted to do that I would have to get permission from Apple. Then I asked when it was going to arrive in DM and they told me the 29th. I was quoted by Apple that it would arrive at my door on the 25th. They also said changing to two day shipping would not help. I would advise anyone who wants this machine fast to keep calling Apple, because after I called the last time and yelled at them it shipped a few hours later. I think that all education customers have been placed on the back burner simply because we are paying less. But if they want to get back to education they sure are not doing what they need to be doing.

So that is my 2 cents worth again. I will not be ordering from the Apple Store again because of the very poor customer service that I have had. They need to work on a bunch of things before I would consider this again. Next time, MacMall.

Nick

Danni
Oct 26, 2001, 07:57 PM

Ok, I couldn't stand it anymore and called Apple Canada. All they could tell me was that the warehouse had my order and that it was being processed but she couldn't tell in which part of the process it was presently. So much for information from Apple Canada =P. I was hoping my Tom Bihn Mitre sleeve would get here today to console me but even that didn't get here. Anyone have a shoulder to offer where I can sob my heart out?

One very forlorn and sad teacher.

Danni

schmoe
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2001, 08:07 PM

Awww, hang in there Danni Apple USA told me the same thing, so I've resolved to stop bothering them until it ships! Fortunately I've been receiving packages every day this week! So far:

And for the finishing touch, my Tom Bihn G4 Monolith case shipped today, only a few hours after I ordered it

As my first laptop and first Mac I still wonder I've gone a bit overboard... na! I do still need to get an AirPort/802.11b WAP.

Danni
Oct 26, 2001, 08:13 PM

Lucky you! Nothing of what I have ordered has gotten here. I ordered a VST floppy drive titanium edition and a QUE! M3 60 gig firewire hard drive in addition to the Tom Bihn sleeve. The sleeve is on its way but the other items aren't even in stock and they have no ETA on them either. I guess that is what happens if you leave in the Great White North!

<a blindmouse>
Oct 26, 2001, 08:34 PM

Danni,
Where in Canada? I'm from Toronto and I've never had problems getting equipment in decent time...

(Except when waiting for Apple hardware the week after the product announcement )

If it's any consolation, I'm in LA right now and the PowerBook 667/512/DVD/48GB I ordered on the 16th still hasn't shipped... to my US address...

Next week. It will get here by next week.

Forum Links
Forum Rules