Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Best/Worst Fonts Ever Review

Best/Worst Fonts Ever Review
andi*pandi
Jul 9, 2012, 08:51 AM

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1665318/the-8-worst-fonts-in-the-world

I have a special hate for Papyrus, but do agree with a commenter above that it depends if it's an interoffice memo or some movie studio hack on a multimilliondollar budget grabbing the first free font he can find and running a few photoshop filters on it and calling it a day.

(grumble grumble Serenity grumble).

I oddly don't hate Souvenir. Sure, a little dated looking... but like Cooper Black, it is solid, friendly, and meant for limited use.

Did he miss any of your enemy fonts?

Thorzdad
Jul 9, 2012, 09:50 AM

It's kind of a lame list, since over half of it is made up of decorative or specialty fonts, which Papyrus definitely is. The problem with Papyrus is that it escaped into everyday use, instead of staying put in church bulletins, posters and other quasi-religious uses. Which, I suppose, is why it was used in Avatar, given the heavy spiritual overtones. I still just about threw up when I saw it in the subtitles.

And Gill Sans Light Shadowed? Sure, it's not something you should use every day. But, if Tarantino came to you and wanted some titles with a funky 60's/70's feel, that's definitely a font you would pull out and try. Talk about a cheap shot.

Agree with Brush Script. If there was no Comic Sans in the world, Brush Script would be my top font hate.

Personally, I like Souvenir, too. When I was in school, Souvenir and Cooper were the backbone fonts for any general ads of the period, so there's a bit of nostalgia with it.

If I had to pick a standard-use font that leaves me cold...I might choose Optima. It's about as tepid and non-committal a font as I can think of. It just disappears on the page.

P
Jul 10, 2012, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
If I had to pick a standard-use font that leaves me cold...I might choose Optima. It's about as tepid and non-committal a font as I can think of. It just disappears on the page.
I would pick Arial, because of all those Word users who just pick the first font in the list and don't even understand serif/sans serif and their uses. I have seen Arial in some terrible places.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2012, 05:29 AM

Handwriting - Dakota. I am SO FREAKING SICK of seeing this font used heavily in professional print and web work. Companies should shell out the $50 to license a decent font instead of using this piece of crap. It's not even a good-looking handwriting font!
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules