Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Got my iMac. Where's my OS9?

Got my iMac. Where's my OS9?
penginkun
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2000, 08:23 PM

I just turned on my new strawberry iMac a short while ago, and was greeted by a MacOS 8.6 splash screen.

While I don't really care that much about getting 9, I do feel a little cheated. What's worse, I don't have an upgrade coupon. At least, I don't have an OBVIOUS upgrade coupon. Does anyone out there know what I should be looking for here? I thought it would be kind of obvious. Ah, well.

So far it's really great, in spite of only having 64mb. I can dig it!

gene
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2000, 10:22 PM

You can also add to your frustration the fact that iMacs (and iBooks) bundled with Mac OS 8.6 come with Quicken Deluxe 98 while those with Mac OS 9 include a copy of Quicken Deluxe 2000.

To answer your question why some come with 8.6 and others with 9 I can only say that even Apple Tech support reps are puzzled. A month after Mac OS 9 was out, Apple was shipping computers with 8.6 simply because they already had those boxed. We have received 8 iMacs on the same day in November. Strawberries and Limes came with 9, Tangerines came with 8.6. go figure....

newsmac
Jan 1, 2000, 10:29 PM

Look in the operators manual/setup guide/warranty book or whatever documentation packet you got. Should have some " Apple Software Proof of Purchase" coupons which is what you need to send in for the rebate. But remember, you have to register your system & software w/apple before you send in for the rebate! And dont get in a hurry to get the check, it will take AT LEAST 8 weeks!!! Good Luck.

AndrewGM
Jan 3, 2000, 03:28 PM

I just got my new iMac DV on 12/30/99, and it also came with OS 8.6, which annoyed me. In talking with Apple support, they said I can buy MacOS 9.0 for only $19.95 through Apple (vs. at least $65 from online retailers).
You can find a PDF of the form you need at
http://www.apple.com/macos/uptodate/

Forum Links
Forum Rules