Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iMovie Rendering: i5 or i7?

iMovie Rendering: i5 or i7?
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 25, 2013, 02:03 AM

I'm working on an iMovie project and started wondering which computer I should use for the final render. It's going to be a few hours of HD video so I figure picking the right computer could save me literally MINUTES of time.

Option 1:
27" iMac, mid-2010. i7-870 with 4GB of RAM

Option 2:
"Mac", i5-2500K with 8GB of RAM

Both have 1TB SATA hard drives. Both are running 10.8.4. The i5 may seem like the obvious winner due to its newer architecture and higher clock speed, but the i7 has more L3 cache and (the potential for?) hyperthreading. CPU-World benchmarks go either way depending on the test.

So which would render the video faster?

P
Aug 25, 2013, 04:35 AM

If iMovie is compiled to make use of AVX, the i5-2500K would be significantly faster. As it is, I think it wins anyway simply because it has a much higher non-turbo clock - 3.3 instead of 2.93. IME, Hyperthreading doesn't help in cases like this.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 25, 2013, 05:00 AM

I suppose there's no real downside to having a race to see which finishes first. Everything is being edited on a MacBook Air as I'm away from home for a month, but there's no way the MBA could render it in less than a couple weeks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules