Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Women in the Workplace

Women in the Workplace
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2009, 04:23 PM

Don't misunderstand the title. I'm not saying women shouldn't be in the workplace, but I've noticed something...

My wife just started a new job, and everything is going great except for one small problem: there are two women who hate her. There's no reason for it. They just hate her.

Everyone else in the office loves my wife. You'd have to know her, but she's very outgoing, very cheerful, and has a great work ethic. For whatever reason, this one particular women (who is nice to everyone else) is constantly being openly rude and spiteful to my wife. The offending woman is friends with the receptionist, so the receptionist has taken up the cause and started being rude as well.

This little incident made me realize that almost every single incident that's happened in the offices in which I've worked have stemmed from a woman developing a personal issue with another person, and making life miserable for everyone around the object of her derision.

I know we men can be jerks, for sure. But the majority of the issues which I've heard about or been involved in myself have dealt with a woman who was either jealous, catty, or just inexplicably spiteful to one person who with whom they've developed some sort of an issue. It's damaging to office morale, and just seems so pointless.

Is this just my imagination? Have you people experienced the same thing?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2009, 04:44 PM

All women hate all other women. Especially if they're younger or more attractive.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 2, 2009, 04:47 PM

It sounds like this one woman feels threatened by your wife's new position. Women seem to take things at work more personally than men do, and they seem to hold grudges for things that guys wouldn't even notice. While this doesn't "explain" the way these two women are reacting to your wife, it may help you see how it happens.

Your wife will probably wind up being able to ignore the two that hate her, and if she can't, she may wind up reporting them to her management for getting in the way of her getting her job done. That's pretty much how this sort of workplace silliness sorts out.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

lyanma
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2009, 04:59 PM

That woman is just jealous. Where I work there is always a gossip or problem. I've never had any problem with anyone here, I don't understand those women that get jealous about anything (they just don't have self-steem).

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2009, 05:45 PM

I would say that this is common female behavior.
Maybe it's a defensive mechanism, maybe it's all the other women have in their lives.

I suggest that your wife focus on her job whilst maintaining her own self esteem by not giving in to high school baloney. If the other women persist then I would speak with the manager.
Keep in mind that your wife is also the new person in the office, so this may be an initiation of sorts.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

OreoCookie
Apr 2, 2009, 06:46 PM

My mom is working in a hospital as a substitute head of the X-Ray department. 80 % of her non-patient work is keeping her (all female) colleagues in check: keeping track of `alliances,' friendships, personal problems that create problems at the work place, etc. Women tend to be more subtle and less direct. Men often go at each other, but then it's done.

Although I've also had problems with (male) colleagues, it's nothing compared to what she goes through.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

andi*pandi
Apr 2, 2009, 07:02 PM

Some people can't tell work from high school, and want to develop cliques and gossip and blah. Tell your wife to ignore them unless they're interfering with her job or openly sabotaging her.

lexapro
Baninated
Apr 2, 2009, 07:08 PM

Women are absolutely insane. I should know.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2009, 11:08 PM

It's common. I'm a woman and believe me, it takes much longer to prove yourself to female counterparts. It's a competitive nature. thing. I'm surprised they don't piss on their territory.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2009, 11:17 PM

Everyone is reinforcing my thoughts on what has happened. The only two excuses I could think of were jealousy or feeling their job is threatened in this economy.

The wife updated me today that she busted the woman talking to a guy who works near her, asking why everyone's "giving (my wife) so much attention." Bingo. Jealousy.

I just don't understand the complications surrounding an insecure woman.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2009, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
It's common. I'm a woman and believe me, it takes much longer to prove yourself to female counterparts. It's a competitive nature. thing. I'm surprised they don't piss on their territory.
This seems to go against conventional thinking, doesn't it? Aren't men supposed to be the territorial, aggressive types?

I initially thought that the problem stems from women not being permitted the same work opportunities as men throughout history, therefore feeling the need to assert themselves to the point of insanity, but I've seen it in a lot more places than just the office. It's just as bad when they're involved in common social situations.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2009, 02:17 AM

Women generally immediately hate each other, particularly if they view each other as competition.

Men have a one-track mind...not just about sex, but also that they aren't regularly conniving and planning out an attack strategy on the people around them.

Women, on the other hand, are always on guard and looking for ways to step on other women around them.

I know this from plenty of personal experience. Fortunately, there are only two other women in my department at work, and one is very quiet (and English is not her first language), and the other is a thirtysomething lesbian who's really nice.

I think that the bitchy problems eventually subside as women hit their 30s and 40s and realize that life is more than a string of competitions, but society has trained us chicks well in the ways of being backstabbing twats at every opportunity.

Women are easily threatened by other women who seem overly easygoing, friendly, cute, or nice. It's difficult to find your place when you're dealing with the kind of competition presented by such a woman. I know it sounds insane, but it's how chicks operate. I've discovered that most chicks quickly grow to hate me because I'm opinionated and very comfortable around a group of males. I'm not necessarily sexy or overtly attractive, but sometime in early college I started to realize that girls were so mean to me because they were jealous of how easy it was for me to talk to just about any guy I met.

Not that I'm innocent of this kind of insanity - I can't stand women, mostly because I don't trust them (which brings us full circle to the fact that women in general are very sneaky and conniving and always planning their next move).
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2009, 02:27 AM

I've often heard "the planet would be a much better place if women ruled the world."

I personally think we'd have gone to full nuclear war by now if that was the case.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2009, 02:29 AM

What I've heard is that women would rule the world if they quit trying to stab each other in the back so much.

Have you seen Mean Girls? That movie is surprisingly true - and not just for high-school age girls, either.

OreoCookie
Apr 3, 2009, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
This seems to go against conventional thinking, doesn't it? Aren't men supposed to be the territorial, aggressive types?
Women are human beings, too (doh!). Only their methods differ, but they're just as territorial.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2009, 02:48 AM

I've seen it the opposite way. I've been in a work environment before where it was a bunch of women who pretty much got along, but if I (or one of the few other guys) pissed one of them off for any reason, they would all ****ing pounce. It was annoying.

I'm not sure if it was something distinctly feminine, though. I have to wonder if it wouldn't seem the same way if the sexes were reversed.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2009, 03:49 AM

Now that I think about it, every major disruption at the company my dad works for has involved women. Once, one of the female employees sued for sexual harassment when a (male) coworker mentioned that she was pregnant during a daily meeting. She did not win.

Then there was a big ordeal when the president noticed that the two (obese) women in charge of hiring office staff were only hiring women who were fatter than they were. It became obvious that they had rejected a string of qualified applicants just because they were normal weight.

Then, worst of all, the president gave his wife 50% control over the company. She used her new-found power to acquire such things as vineyards and hair salons in her area (mind you, this is a banking consultancy company). This did not turn out to be very profitable so she attempted to use her BA in Theatre Arts and incomplete post-grad accounting degree to transform the company's operations from the ground up. The company has been unprofitable ever since.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2009, 04:21 AM

I agree with all of the above. Women are indeed mental. Even the ones with nice boobies.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2009, 02:50 AM

Simple. What the hell are you doing allowing her to work? If she were home where she belongs these things wouldn't happen.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2009, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Simple. What the hell are you doing allowing her to work? If she were home where she belongs these things wouldn't happen.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2009, 12:02 AM

I never noticed this behavior on ships. Never did. It might have happened behind closed doors or something, but I never saw it. Now I know for a fact that women are freakin pigs in the berthing. I wouldn't go in a women berthing space without a flame thrower.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 5, 2009, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
I never noticed this behavior on ships. Never did. It might have happened behind closed doors or something, but I never saw it. Now I know for a fact that women are freakin pigs in the berthing. I wouldn't go in a women berthing space without a flame thrower.
You might need to put that into lay terms, there, ctt. "Berthing space" for those of us who haven't spent much time at sea, equals "dormitory area." In my limited experience, this seems to be a common issue, especially in the bathroom/mirror area. Not universal by any means, but pretty common.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2009, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
You might need to put that into lay terms, there, ctt. "Berthing space" for those of us who haven't spent much time at sea, equals "dormitory area." In my limited experience, this seems to be a common issue, especially in the bathroom/mirror area. Not universal by any means, but pretty common.
My wife is always complaining about how much of a mess I make. Yet, when I look at *her* spaces, I can't help but thinking how much worse they are than my messes.

However, I'm wise enough not to point this out to her.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2009, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I agree with all of the above. Women are indeed mental. Even the ones with nice boobies.
*Especially* the ones with nice boobies.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2009, 01:54 PM

That's because they just got the plastic surgery bill.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2009, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Yeah sorry, 20 years habits are hard to break, you know? I still write the dates military style, but it's happening less and less.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2009, 02:13 PM

Nice boobies, not that stuff out of the lego catalogue.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2009, 02:16 PM

Ever heard the saying that it's all pink on the inside? It's still flesh on the outside... just computer chips on the inside.

Salty
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2009, 12:23 PM

This is why I'm gay

It all depends on the women though. There are lots of nice women who are fun to be around and all that. It's the driven women that cause problems. Mainly because it seems women hold grudges longer, and despite the amount of talking they do, they rarely want to talk things out. I have three bosses, the most Sr. is male, the other two are female, and I swear both of them just power trip insanely badly. Most of the staff can't stand them. We've had males in their positions before and it wasn't nearly as bad. Granted we also had a woman who wasn't bad too.

Thing is not all women are crazy but typically getting a crazy woman is the worst thing. I think part of the problem is that while if a man is crazy and driven he works his ass off to try and be better than everyone else and prove his point, women tend to demand that others work their asses off to please them, and they'll take it personally if that doesn't happen. (Generalization)

In general though most of the time women like me, being a homo I'm safe they don't feel a need to compete against me or for me. So they just bitch at me about each other. Seems the only time you can get a large group of girls together where they're more likely to get along is if you put some drinks in their hands.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2009, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Seems the only time you can get a large group of girls together where they're more likely to get along is if you put some drinks in their hands.
Or the complete opposite of getting along.

Really the worst behavior I've ever seen from girls (to other girls) is while they've been drinking.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2009, 12:56 PM

Haha, too true.

Salty
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2009, 01:51 PM

You should try seeing them in Church then

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2009, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Or the complete opposite of getting along.

Really the worst behavior I've ever seen from girls (to other girls) is while they've been drinking they're within twelve feet of each other.
Fixinated.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2009, 09:48 PM

Mostly likely some guy got *that* bill.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2009, 08:06 AM

This is a hormone issue that makes women bitchy or just nature working its wonders

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2009, 09:16 AM

This popped up today:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...conflict-.html

Catfights over handbags and tears in the toilets. When this producer launched a women-only TV company she thought she'd kissed goodbye to conflict...

So, in April 2005, I left my job, remortgaged my house - freeing up close to £100,000 - and began paying myself just £700 a month to set up this utopian business. Having worked extremely hard for 12 years, I had lots of experience and a good reputation. What could go wrong?

calverson
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2009, 03:33 AM

^

I have come to realize that women are very territorial. The amount of b*tch looks that my girl gets from other girls when we are walking in a mall... you would swear she was on the FBI's Wanted List.

Hey, sh!t, let me check.

calverson
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2009, 03:38 AM

*whew!*

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2009, 10:44 AM

Yep, it's good to be a man. And I mean that in every chauvinistic way imaginable.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 8, 2009, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Yep, it's good to be a man. And I mean that in every chauvinistic way imaginable.
NSFW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4f9zR5yzY

Salty
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2009, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Up with penises!

Forum Links
Forum Rules