Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > When it happened Bush was...

When it happened Bush was...
El Pre$idente
Banned
Sep 21, 2002, 04:42 AM

http://www.buzzflash.com/analysis/20...11_Booker.html

Watch the video at the above link (if it is still up). Tell us what you think of Bush's reaction and how fast he had a multipaged script ready already at the nursery school to read out 'his' regrets of the terrorist action to the assembled press.

Now if you were President would you keep sitting for ten or so minutes after hearing of the attack and would you need a pre-prepared script to say how sorry you are and what you are going to do in response?

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2002, 08:53 AM

I know this story actually

#1) 8:45 The President was notified of the first plane hitting the tower. Since little was known at the time of the cause the Readings at the school when on. Senior staff go into the adjacent room and set up a phone bank and begin to collect info.

#2)9:03 Second plane hits the towers. President is told about it and Staff present already in contact with DC. President chooses to remain at the Reading as to not alarm the children and as more is known about the situation. Actual photo's of the staff watching the coverage on TV as the second plane crashed are available. I think its ok to say that it took the second plane hitting the WTC for EVERYONE to realize what was really happening.

3) 9:30 Bush delivers speech

4) 9:40 FAA shuts down all departing flights and orders planes in the air down.

5) 9:43 Plane hits pentagon

6) 9:57 President is flown out of FLA

7)10:10 Plane crashed in Pennsylvania

If I were president would I have sat there? Maybe, no one knew at the time what was going on. Running out of the room would have solved what? Stopped planes 3 &4 from crashing, no. So yes it was probably most professional to remain calm and wait for the situation to be assessed instead of looking like I was panicked. That would have looked far worse.

And would I need a speech printed out? Yes, seeing as how one would be in charge of the entire country which is now under attack and you have some 300+ planes in the air and you don't know if they are under the same situation I might have a lot on my mind. So having a concise and direct statement prepared and giving the appearance of control would help in not further alarming the public.

That site you linked to was crap. What kind of journalism was that supposed to be?

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

finboy
Sep 21, 2002, 09:39 AM

What's the controversy here? The US President should almost NEVER go into anything without a set of prepared remarks, since millions of lives depend upon what he says.

I don't get the whole "he ran away" thing either -- he was supposed to stay away from Washington in the event of a threat, and he did.

Some folks just need something to talk about, I guess.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2002, 09:47 AM

We're stretching for something to pick on Bush with now.

I prefer not to complain but rather enjoy life. I didn't like Clinton but I rarely complained about him during his entire rule. (I saved my opinion for the ballot box.)

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 21, 2002, 12:11 PM

I love how un-biased and non-FUD spreading that page seems to be.

:-)

micha schraven
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2002, 12:18 PM

I don't know about El Presidente, but you can clearly see that Bush is not enjoying learning about that second plane crash. A total loss of attention of a man in a very difficult situation is what I see.

I absolutely despise Bush and his ideas about a secondrate world besides the allmighty USA, but this post is really far-fetched.
"the only real centre of the universe is yourself"

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 21, 2002, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by micha schraven:
I don't know about El Presidente, but you can clearly see that Bush is not enjoying learning about that second plane crash. A total loss of attention of a man in a very difficult situation is what I see.

I absolutely despise Bush and his ideas about a secondrate world besides the allmighty USA, but this post is really far-fetched.
Ah someone that hates Bush, that is actually rational. I like that.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2002, 12:34 PM

"We're stretching for something to pick on Bush with now."

Yes, there are so many other reasons to pick on for that are so much better.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2002, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by driven:
We're stretching for something to pick on Bush with now.

I prefer not to complain but rather enjoy life. I didn't like Clinton but I rarely complained about him during his entire rule. (I saved my opinion for the ballot box.)
I agree, this is kinda stretching it....lets just stick to the fact that he's a chimpanzee when it comes to politics and economics.

El Pre$idente  (op)
Banned
Sep 21, 2002, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by micha schraven:

He didn't look like he had much attention before hand either. After being told of the attack his legs didn't even uncross. Anyone who knows anything about psychology and body language will tell you that shocking and unexpected news produces physical reflex...especially if you're as dumb and reactionary as George.

What was he thinking after being told? He was thinking about buying shares in Lockheed Martin and a timeshare in Switzerland.

That script was prepared on one of the school computers I suppose. By someone else.

Bushleaguer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2002, 03:38 PM

Bush had the look of fear on his face after being told of the second plane attack. He was trying to remain calm, but it's easy to tell that he was nervous, because of all the shifty eyes and quick head jerks.

I think the remarks that he made about hunting down the terrorists were stupid and irresponsible at an elementary school. It shows the mind frame of that administration.
He's not a leader, he's a Texas leaguer..
Swingin' for the fence, got lucky with a strike..
Drilling for fear, makes the job simple..
Born on third, thinks he got a triple..

PowerMatt
Senior User
Sep 21, 2002, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by El Pre$idente:

Anyone who knows anything about psychology and body language will tell you that shocking and unexpected news produces physical reflex...
Anyone who knows anything about psychology and body language will tell you that applying generalizations to individual occurances is bad science.
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules