Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Nano-Easy to scratch???

Nano-Easy to scratch??? (Page 2)
inkhead
Senior User
Sep 22, 2005, 11:28 AM

Out of curiousity how did you arrange to send yours back? I bought applecare, and am still in the 15days and would like to exchange mine for another one or get a refund all together, they keep transfering me to some non-existant sales department. Maybe they are waiting for the 14 days to run out.

Also did you tell them you were returning it because of the scratches? Please help, I want to send my freaking ipod back.

ben.mcguire
Sep 22, 2005, 11:59 AM

""Apple must be aware of this problem. I suspect it might become the battery saga MkII""

doesnt every ipod scratch?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2005, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by inkhead
Out of curiousity how did you arrange to send yours back? I bought applecare, and am still in the 15days and would like to exchange mine for another one or get a refund all together, they keep transfering me to some non-existant sales department. Maybe they are waiting for the 14 days to run out.

Also did you tell them you were returning it because of the scratches? Please help, I want to send my freaking ipod back.
Uh, inkhead, weren't you the one who just stated on the previous page that people shouldn't be nearly so uptight and obsessive over the cosmetic problems with the iPod? Why are you suddenly looking to replace yours now?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 22, 2005, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
That actually looks cool. Not any protection in the way of drops -- but it appears to be fantastic for scratches. Have you used it? Like it?
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2005, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by pete
Unfortunately, Apple has a tendency to create beautiful products that look awful quickly - the ipods, powerbook titanium, first generation powerbook G3s and their rubber layer that would scrape off....etc etc.
Au contraire.

I think Apple products look *great* as they age.

The battle-scarred tiBooks I see just look bad-ass and beautiful in a prized-tool, well-worked, and still-a-class-above-the-rest way.

My three-year-old 5GB iPod is scuffed to hell and back, but it's still great and just looks well-loved.

It's patina.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2005, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by John123
That actually looks cool. Not any protection in the way of drops -- but it appears to be fantastic for scratches. Have you used it? Like it?
#The corners start peeling off eventually, but if you're cool with replacing the foil every once in a while, they keep iPods in great shape.

This from experience with an acquaintance's 4G iPod. No direct experience with iPod nano and its different geometry.

inkhead
Senior User
Sep 23, 2005, 04:14 PM

Yes I was. But after a week of use, I have a scratch on the screen that literally makes it so you can't read the track that is playing. The scratches are a problem now. I'm totally annoyed especially after I said scratches weren't a big deal. I'm going to get an invisible cover over it., I don't care about scratches on the body but the screen makes me angry.

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Uh, inkhead, weren't you the one who just stated on the previous page that people shouldn't be nearly so uptight and obsessive over the cosmetic problems with the iPod? Why are you suddenly looking to replace yours now?

lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2005, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by inkhead
Yes I was. But after a week of use, I have a scratch on the screen that literally makes it so you can't read the track that is playing. The scratches are a problem now. I'm totally annoyed especially after I said scratches weren't a big deal. I'm going to get an invisible cover over it., I don't care about scratches on the body but the screen makes me angry.
Um, I said you should get a screen protector and you even agreed with that. What happened? Did you go with the nail polish and it didn't work?

Originally Posted by John123
I used the PodShield from Trendy Geek on my 4G iPod and it worked perfectly. Since the nano scratches more easily, I ordered the Invisible Shield. I'll report back once I have it.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2005, 10:45 PM

Just a caveat, unless they changed their design, the Podshield from Trendy Geek is USELESS on a color-screened iPod. I got their shields when they offered them something like 3 for a penny plus shipping, and it makes the color screen completely muddled, blurred, and totally unreadable. Unless they had a major redesign in their technology, I'd be wary purchasing any screen covers/shields from them in the future.

sfgiantsfan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2005, 03:00 AM

the black ones scratch incredibly easy...well at least they show scratches more than white.
PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz G4 Processor, 1.5 GB RAM, SuperDrive
20 GB iPod

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2005, 01:20 PM

"Return date September 23"
Ugg, missed being able to easially return mine by one day.

While I commented as well early on who cares about a few minor marks, my black Nano looks like hell after two weeks of lite pocket use. My month old RAZR has no scratches, and with a cloth cleaning of the outside window, looks new. Where as one attempt of cleaning the nano made it worse.

My two year old Rio Karma has one minor visible scratch. My two year old T610 phone also has minor marks. Where as my first iPod with a screen looks like ass. While I normally wouldn't care about the looks, in another month or two the screen will be unreadable.

If I have to baby a product ment for active use, it's not worth keeping, especially when the iPod softtware is also limited compared to what I am used to elsewhere.
<This space under renovation>

RainyDayMagazine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2005, 08:38 AM

We have found the InvisibleShield to be excellent in protecting the iPod nano. Installation can be a bit tricky so we decided to post a more detail set as compared to the vendors. Hopefully it will help you keep your nano "new" for many years :-)

http://www.rainydaymagazine.com/RDM2...dFirstLook.htm

Jakeypooh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2005, 06:02 PM

Wow... I was literally minutes from going and buying a nano before I read this thread...

I don't want to have to dick with a bunch of stuff just to get my 250 dollar appliance to not look like crap.

Tiresias
Oct 2, 2005, 11:43 PM

my 4gb white nano is in the mail. do some of you complainants with scratched nano screens want to post a pic or two so we can see whether or not you are exaggerating?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2005, 10:06 AM

So people are putting nano's in their pockets, along with their keys etc, and then moan when it gets scratches??? I think part of the problem with this is that the Nano is the first 'cheap' glossy plastic and metal finish iPod, so people are either buying it as their first iPod, or upgrading from shuffles and minis. The casings on the mini and shuffle are much tougher than the glossy iPod casing, but until now, people have had to fork out at least £200 to get a glossy iPod, and its been a bit big and heavy to put in your pocket with your keys.

Now the iPod is cheaper, and pocketable, people are finding very quickly that it isn't as tough a casing as a mini or shuffle. Well I'm sorry but what the hell were you expecting?? When I got my iPod 4G I got a case for it as soon as I could, and even then it was scratched a little. Glossy iPods ARE scratch prone, be careful with them, be sensible, and don't put a £150 piece of kit in with your keys!!!!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2005, 10:10 AM

I've also just applied the invisibleShiled to my iPod nano, and am very impressed.

It was not my first attempt at putting a protective skin on the nano: I originally found these vinyl skins on eBay, and the vendor had gotten rave reviews.

Well, it turned out that despite the fact that he sends two complete sets of skin, aligning a thin vinyl sheet with a sticky adhesive so that it aligns perfectly with the edges of the scrollwheel, the edges of the ipod, and the edges of the screen... well, it was beyond my skill. If one of these vinyl skins is misaligned, you can easily pull it off... but it will stretch in the process, rendering it unsuitable for a second attempt. Last, but not least, there was an included translucent vinyl "screen protector" that was supposed to go over the lcd display... but which interfered with the clarity of the display: it added visual noise.

As such, I thought that the idea of having a thin plastic skin on my iPod might not be the way to go, but I heard good things about the invisibleShield at iPod Lounge, so I gave it a try.

I received the invisibleShield in the mail on Friday and applied it to my iPod nano that evening.

Although I was, of course, a little concerned about getting my iPod wet, it turns out that the slipperyness of the invisibleShield, when being applied, gives you the opportunity to get the alignment of edges just right: it's essentially like applying a decal. Also, because the invisibleShield covers the scrollwheel and the screen, you don't have to worry about aligning to those edges - just to the sides of the iPod - and that makes it a lot easier, too.

Having said that, it took a couple of attempts to get the fit right, but I did get it 'perfect'. I cleaned my iPod thoroughly with a lens cleaner before starting, but despite my best efforts there ended up being a couple of pieces of dust embedded in the surface between the iPod and the invisibleShield... but it's not distracting - I can live with it. Maybe you'll be more fortunate, but it's something to be aware of.

Unlike Rainy Day Magazine, I actually did apply the protective skin to the back (and sides) of my iPod nano: it's the back skin that contains the material that wraps around and protects the 4 edges. This was a little trickier to get on than the front... but once again, having a slippery surface for a few minutes to allow you to move the 'decal' around makes it possible to align this just right. At first I wasn't sure that the sides flaps would stay down and hold tight to the edges... but they do.

After allowing 24 hours to thoroughly dry, the end result is that the iPod feels laminated. there's this durable plastic coating around almost everything (barring the "HOLD" switch, the corners, and the ports on the bottom), and I don't feel like I have to handle the nano with kid gloves anymore. As Rainy Day reported, there's no interference with the color LCD screen. I only notice a minor 'rainbow' effect which they mention at a few angles if I'm wearing polarized sunglasses. Otherwise, I don't see it. Certainly when the backlight is on the display remains clear and crisp.

I'm very pleased. Applying the invisibleShield wasn't much trouble, given that I can now use my nano without worrying that breathing on it too hard may scuff it up!

Needless to say, I can't report on how well this ages. I have some concerns that over time the edges might come up (although, to be fair, there's absolutely no sign of that happening yet, after a couple of days of heavy use). However, if that does end up being the case, it might or might not make sense to just order a new set. If the invisibleShield starts coming up in a year (for example), I'd consider it money well spent... and would be inclined to replace it. If it only survives a few months... well, I expect there will be other cases on the market by then... in which case, it's probably still worth it to keep the nano safe until a suitable replacement arrives.

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2005, 02:20 PM

I need to add an addendum - I just noticed that invisibleShield has a "lifetime replacement" policy - they'll replace it at any time if it becomes worn out or non-functional if you register the product on their website.

And, no, I'm not a shill for them.

tracemhunter
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2005, 06:28 PM

my nano is coming in the mail tomorrow from a freebie site and i ordered the clear shield from decal girl. i am not going to open the nano until that clear shield comes in. then when vaja releases cases for the nano i will pick one of those up.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2005, 04:55 AM

i just used packing tape. nearly invisible. fully functional. adds almost NO size to the nano. no bubbles. a huge roll = insane ammounts of protection since you only use a small piece (actually 2 pieces). a roll will cost you approx 3 dollars and loose change. i bought 2 rolls for 1.99 because of a coupon. it's 3m packing tape. easy to remove the residue on the shiny part of the tape as well.

why are people paying insane ammounts of cash for "film" to put on their ipod nanos? anyone want me to post pictures? i did a crummy job (rushed it at 2am) and people couldnt tell that i had it on! it costs literally pennies!

if you want me to post pics of it, send me a pm or something, since i might not remember to log back on this page.

cheers!

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 7, 2005, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice
So people are putting nano's in their pockets, along with their keys etc, and then moan when it gets scratches???[/b]
No. I'm "moan"ing because my Nano alone in my jeans pocket gets scratched up badly. Where as my RAZR has no scratches at all on the plastic portion over the external LCD. While Motorola didn't do a great job with the ROKR, they at least understand people will put their products in their pockets. Where as Apple says you need to buy a case. Well, no cases existed day one, and I figured the "greatest MP3 player on the market" would at least hold up as well as any other MP3 player on the market in my pocket.

The nano overall has been a great big disappointment for me. The clunky interface combined with the issue that in a few months scratches will be all I see on the screen, and well, I'm looking at alternative flash based players.
<This space under renovation>

PeterKG
Senior User
Oct 7, 2005, 10:49 AM

Walt Mossberg has now commented in on the Nano scratching problem.

http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/mailbox-20051006.html
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

lavar78
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2005, 05:11 PM

Update: I decided not to use the Invisible Shield. Instead, I applied a skin from decalgirl.com. It looks great so far!

PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2005, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by davidwells
I bought my nano as a business tool. I am a freelance graphic designer and I know presentation is key. My sole purpose was to have a small, sleek tool for displaying my portfolio. Yes, I've got about 12 tracks of music on the nano "just in case", but a vast majority of the files are images.
My goal was to show colorful (although tiny) images, on an elegant, pocket-sized device. That's why I'm rather upset that the screen has scratched so poorly in less than a week of occasional use.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to laugh at you, but that has to be one of the most ridicuous things I've ever heard when it comes to design presentations. While the nano's screen is great for previewing images, I wouldn't dream of presenting pieces that took days or weeks to create on it. And the image of you sitting with a potential client, hunched over this miniscule screen as you try to expel the quality of your design pure comedic gold!

Good luck with that presentation style. If it works, you're a genius. Otherwise, you might want to invest in a portfolio or a laptop.
It's the devil's way now.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2005, 09:37 PM

Got my black nano. After about 4 hours of use of holding it in my hand gently or putting it in a coat pocket that is that (soft inner silk-like ligning) it has some significant scratches around the front body.

I had no keys, change anything in the pocket or close to it. I also lay it down on my desk with the face up.

before getting one I didn't believe the reports, now I do.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

njwidmann
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2005, 01:11 AM

( Last edited by njwidmann; Oct 8, 2005 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Changes)

telem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2005, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by dwd3885
i'll get mine in a few hours and let you know. i think it's just stupid people. the regular ipods scratch, that's life. you're not going to keep it perfect. what's the obsession wiith people keeping it in mint condition anyway? never understood that. it's not a car, it's a music player. just don't beat it up to heck and you'll be alright
Since it's so beautiful when new, it's such a shame that even super careful use results in scratches. When a 6 or 8 gig nano comes out, it sure will be hard to sell a scratched unit on eBay.

segaslave
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2005, 08:49 PM

why cant they use a crystal for the screen. ive had my watch for like 15 years now never taken off, even survived a nasty motorcycle accident not a single scratch on its face.

i can agree the ipod is ment to be used and scratchs are just the nature of that use. But the screen is another story you need that clear to see whats on it or theres no point of having it. something that lives in your pocket needs a screen that doesnt scratch bottom line. the rest of the case so what.

i bought a shuffle just because i know my screen will be trashed in a few days on a normal ipod... that and i dont see the need for a screen for how i use my ipod
:rolleyes:

telem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2005, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan
the black ones scratch incredibly easy...well at least they show scratches more than white.

You used to be able to remove scratches from watch crystals by rubbing the area with a soft wet cloth and toothpaste. I wonder if it would work on a nano?

mrmister
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 12:39 AM

"why cant they use a crystal for the screen. ive had my watch for like 15 years now never taken off, even survived a nasty motorcycle accident not a single scratch on its face."

Because that would be more expensive. And they went cheap.

"You used to be able to remove scratches from watch crystals by rubbing the area with a soft wet cloth and toothpaste. I wonder if it would work on a nano?"

I suspect nothing works on a nano—people are getting scratches in lens bags, for goodness sake.

People who are posting and complaining about people being too extreme aren't reading the web—this is a serious issue.

jbruner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2005, 02:04 AM

I have a 3G ipod and the scratches are not that bad, perhaps because of a lower resolution screen it's not so noticable. I didn't put it in any cases because I didn't want the extra 'stuff' around it, just pure design and functionailty. If a scratch or scuff occured I just repeated Jobs' "It adds character" retort to scratchability. But after hearing all the complaints of nano owner I think, "Seriously Apple. Get some frickin' scratch resistant glass like the Fuji Finepix cams use" or something sheesh. Industrial Design requires aestetics AND function, and if scratches impede function and look ugly too, then TWO strikes Apple. Are nano owners expected to pass them on next year anyway when nano2 comes out?
Brunerd

lavar78
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2005, 07:51 AM

Mine doesn't have any scratches.

damnyooneek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2005, 01:27 PM

people that are complaining that their nanos scratch too easily have never owned an ipod. all ipods scratch and thats just how they are. if you want to keep them from being scratched buy a case. its ridiculous that people are trying to return their nanos because they think its a defect.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2005, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by damnyooneek
people that are complaining that their nanos scratch too easily have never owned an ipod.
I've owned 3. After a YEAR they didn't look as bad as my Nano in 24 hours.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

siMac
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
I've owned 3. After a YEAR they didn't look as bad as my Nano in 24 hours.
Can you post a pic? I am (still) waiting for my nano to arrive and this thread is scaring me...
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

lavar78
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2005, 08:31 PM

Let me repeat: Get a screen protector! If you want, you can leave on the plastic film that comes on it.

Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Oct 9, 2005, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by siMac
Can you post a pic? I am (still) waiting for my nano to arrive and this thread is scaring me...
I second that. My nano arrives this Saturday. PIcs please.

I.P. Freely
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2005, 09:48 PM

Use clear packing tape.

This work great. You can always peel it off when it gets too dirty. It cost nothing.

If you are too cheap for that.. use the good old plastic cling wrap. I warp it in that and toss it in my backpack. No scratches... I mean come on people it for listening to music.. not to show it off to people.

Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Oct 9, 2005, 11:15 PM

Ahhhhh!

All this talk about scratching's finally getting to me. Today I am very close to cancelling my Nano order and going with the 20GB photo. It's only another 70 bucks where I live, and, since the Nano is 16GB smaller, it's only advantage is its smallness, and smallness is no advantage if you have to carry your nano around on a f**king silk pillow, it should be able to go into the jeans' pocket Steve pulled it out of when he launched it to much fanfare.

My 15GB iPod 2nd Generation has taken a beating. Dropped three times on concrete. No major scratches to compain of. What's the story with the nano? Didn't they pilot the materials? Subject a prototype to a month or more of normal usage related wear and tear?

Nano owners: any regrets?

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 11:43 PM

I have had mine since it came out. I left the original shipping plastic on the front and I use it everyday. No scratches yet. I am looking at getting the invisible shield thing though.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Oct 10, 2005, 02:53 AM

Screw the Nano. I went ahead and cancelled. My 20GB iPod Photo will be at the store Saturday. Only a pussy would settle for 4GBs.

Enjoy your scratches, suckers!

But seriously, the furore over scratched nano screens has reached a pretty intense pitch on the Internet. Much more alarming than, say, the iPod battery death, the iBook black screen or Powerbook white spot issues in their time. I'm going to get a 2nd or 3rd generation nano. Cos' you just know, despite their "get a case" refrain, Apple are already working on the problem they deny exists.

Well, it's a business like any other.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2005, 08:34 AM

You're the sucker. Only a pussy would go middle of the road! The 4-GB nano and the 60-GB iPod are the best options. [Dvorak] I get no scratches! [/Dvorak]

Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Oct 10, 2005, 10:03 AM

You're the sucker. Only a pussy would go middle of the road! The 4-GB nano and the 60-GB iPod are the best options. [Dvorak] I get no scratches! [/Dvorak]
My entire music library is only 6.89 GB. For me, owning a 60GB iPod would be like carrying an eraser around in a portmanteau. As it is 20GB is more than I need, but I will also be using it as a harddisk.

Besides, I was kidding.

I actually was waiting for a 4GB white nano. But I'm reading the same thing in just about every forum: the nano scratches too easily, and to a degree that effects screen legibility. That's a quantifiable fact now.

Thanks MacNN for helping me to be a more informed Mac consumer.

P.S.
What's up with your HTML?

Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Oct 10, 2005, 10:06 AM

P.P.S.

This post now has six sausages.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2005, 10:37 AM

I knew you were kidding, which is why I winked. Anyway, what's so hard/wrong/ridiculous about using a screen protector that you decided to cancel the nano? It's cheap, easy, and the screen will stay perfectly scratch-free until you take it off. You'd be smart to protect the screen of the 20-GB iPod the same way.

That code was a joke. "I get no spam," was something John Dvorak said on TWiT and now it's become something of a catch phrase for him.

Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Oct 10, 2005, 10:47 AM

what's so hard/wrong/ridiculous about using a screen protector that you decided to cancel the nano? It's cheap, easy, and the screen will stay perfectly scratch-free until you take it off. You'd be smart to protect the screen of the 20-GB iPod the same way.
Nothing really. But it's a design flaw that the consumer is left to patch up. That bothers me. Still, might take your advice (thanks) and cover the iPod, but only because I don't have to.
That code was a joke. "I get no spam," was something John Dvorak said on TWiT and now it's become something of a catch phrase for him.
Way over my head. Swooooosh.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2005, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ulrich Kinbote
Nothing really. But it's a design flaw that the consumer is left to patch up. That bothers me. Still, might take your advice (thanks) and cover the iPod, but only because I don't have to.
Have you ever owned an iPod? I don't want to scare you, but the screen will scratch if you don't protect it. That's true of every iPod (except the shuffle). That's also true of PDAs, digital cameras, and basically any other portable device with a screen.

Have you held a nano? I think you're making a mistake for the sake of a principle that is misguided (IMO). Of course, it's your decision.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2005, 01:09 PM

Let me repeat: Get a screen protector! If you want, you can leave on the plastic film that comes on it.

I ordered one before I got the nano, unfortunately the case isn't here yet and 24 hours is all it took for the nano to get nasty.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

lavar78
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2005, 06:00 PM

That sucks, but why didn't you just leave the plastic film on there temporarily?

lavar78
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2005, 06:01 PM

Drat!

lavar78
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2005, 06:02 PM

Double drat!

Forum Links
Forum Rules