Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Xbox 2 Launching On MTV May 12th

Xbox 2 Launching On MTV May 12th (Page 8)
MrSundberg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2005, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by shatten22
You were excusing me of value adding
You're Sony?

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2005, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Busemann
If someone said it for the PS2, it sure wasn't Sony. Perhaps it stems from a newspaper or online games site?

I'm just amazed that Sony gets the heat for over-promising all the time. It's really not fair to say they did it for the last two generations, at least not any more than the competitors. Btw. if you're against PR speak and "crazy" visionaries, how can you be an Apple user in the first place?
Apple is a small company commanding ~5% of the computer marketshare, Sony and MS are mega corps, each easily 10x bigger than apple. To top it off, most of apple's overpromisings were, let's see.. due to IBM and motorola? They only made the promises because you guys demanded them

Sony OTOH promises gold and delivers silver, and they can't blame it on the manufacturer because they're NOT really lying, just that the only way to achieve this sort of performance is to have the people who designed the machine themselves make every game, because they're the only ones who actually know how to optimize every last ounce of the code for the best performance possible. Think of it like altivec, except instead of being responsible "for a nice little boost in performance", they're betting the bank on it.
Aloha

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2005, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Busemann
Btw. if you're against PR speak and "crazy" visionaries, how can you be an Apple user in the first place?
That's what I hate about Apple. Maybe that will change now that there is a true processor roadmap for the future. I'm an Apple user because I need an OS that just works, period. I need to be able to edit video and sound without having to run spyware prevention programs and antivirus suites.

If there was something better I'd use it, but currently for ease of use and performance, Apple is my choice. I'm not here to rah-rah for the company. I'm not a shareholder. just an end user.

g

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2005, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by MrSundberg
You're Sony?
No, I'm geoffrey.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2005, 04:51 PM

After learning that IBM put all its R&D into gaming consoles and not so much into desktop processors, I'm not too enthusiastic about getting a PlayStation 3. I think I will wait a few years until they get cheap (and bundled with GT5).

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2005, 10:07 PM

All I know is want all of the systems, I really do, I just can't afford to pay over $300 for them. If the PS3 clocks in at $450 I'm out of the game until it goes down...

g

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 9, 2005, 03:40 PM

Ok... Ok... this is what kills me about Sony. Here's the link, you should all read it:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06...s_6127219.html

For those two lazy to click, here's the interview:
-----------
Impress PC Watch: The PlayStation 3 has some extremely high specifications, but it doesn't come with a HDD. Why?

Ken Kutaragi: We're not going to equip [the PS3 with] a HDD by default, because no matter how much [capacity] we put in it, it won't be enough. The next step is definitely network drives. With the Cell server, they can be accessed from anywhere, via network. Whether it's your own house, your friend's house, you can access the [network hard drive] anywhere. That's the kind of world we're imagining. But there are still some issues if the machine doesn't come with a HDD. So this time, we've added a 2.5 inch HDD bay so that users can equip HDDs such as 80GB and 120GB, even though that's still not enough [capacity]. Although a network drive would allow for terabytes of storage, there's still the necessity to run an operating system offline. A hard drive for running an OS will be required for [the PS3] to be recognized as a computer.

IPCW: Do you mean to say that you'll run an OS on the PS3 to use it as a computer?

KK: I believe its wrong that, while we've been calling PlayStations "computers," Nintendo, which is in our same business, keeps telling the world their consoles are "toys." So even though we're making something that has the capability to be recognized as a supercomputer and requires paperwork when exporting or importing, the government sees it as a "toy." The PlayStation 2 has something as great as the Emotion Engine, and it can even run Linux, but it's still considered a gaming machine. I thought that the situation would become better since Microsoft appeared [in the gaming industry] from the IT field. But they won't say it either, since they want to protect their business. They see problems if the Xbox could run Windows, so they keep calling the Xbox a "game machine." It is really a pain in the neck. This time, we're positioning the PS3 as a "supercomputer." But people won't recognize it as a computer unless we call it a computer, so we're going to run an OS on it. In fact, the Cell can run multiple OSes. In order to run the OSes, we need a HDD. So in order to declare that the PS3 is a computer, I think we'll have [the PS3's HDD] pre-installed with Linux as a bonus.

IPCW: So Linux can be run on the Cell.

KK: Linux is legacy, but it will be a start. In the case of the Cell, operation systems are applications. The kernel will be running on the Cell, and multiple OSes will be running on top of that as applications. Of course the PS3 can run Linux. If Linux can run, so can Lindows. Other PC Operating Systems can run too, such as Windows and Tiger (Max OS X 10.4), if the publishers want to do so. Maybe a new OS might come out.

IPCW: Does that mean that we can expect applications that take advantage of the Cell, aside from games?

KK: As an example, HD video editing software is basically the same as the non-linear editing system used in broadcasting stations. What we're trying to do on the PS3 is that level of software. Non-linear editing systems are incredible, but if it was done on the Cell, it would be even more incredible....The difference will be obvious. I think other PC applications like photo-retouching software will also be able to be done on the PS3. The user interface will also get interesting. In the case of the PC, users will have to wait for years between XP's UI to Longhorn's. But the PS3's UI will evolve much faster. For example, if we had an interface where we could control applications using gestures and words using the Eye Toy, it would be like Minority Report. Of course, that kind of an evolution will also reflect on games. This will be the first form that [the Cell] will be spread. It can connect a keyboard, and it has all the necessary interfaces. It can run media, and it can run on a network. It's got such an all-around purpose, and it's open. It will become completely open if we equip it with Linux, and programmers will be able to do anything with it. It's the same thing with the graphics since it's got the shaders.
----------

Forget the Matrix! We're doing Minority Report! Somebody explain what Sony is doing please?

koo-koo!

g

Severed Hand of Skywalker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2005, 03:43 PM

Ok... Ok... this is what kills me about Sony. Here's the link, you should all read it:g
here's what kills me. What the hell is everyone going on about Sony in the Xbox thread?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2005, 03:57 PM

All I know is want all of the systems, I really do, I just can't afford to pay over $300 for them. If the PS3 clocks in at $450 I'm out of the game until it goes down...
Is that the projected price?

I'm definitely not getting one for more than 200 €.

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 9, 2005, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
here's what kills me. What the hell is everyone going on about Sony in the Xbox thread?
Sometimes our threads don't grow up into what we want them to be. Conversations start, one thing leads to another...

If you set her free Severed Hand of Luke Skywalker she may come back home again.

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 9, 2005, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Is that the projected price?

I'm definitely not getting one for more than 200 €.
IGN reported it here:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/615/615745p1.html

Sony made a statement saying that it would appear in Japan for under $465. XBOX 360 on the otro hand is supposed to come in at $300-$350. I hear they are leaning towards making it $300... which is awesome.

g

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2005, 05:53 PM

Forget the Matrix! We're doing Minority Report! Somebody explain what Sony is doing please?
Users can do hand-gestures to control the UI. Hardly revolutionary, but cool nonetheless

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2005, 03:05 PM

This picture will blow your mind and is a good case for Hi-Def and next gen hardware.

http://www.bizarreonline.net/index.p...mments=1&id=32

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2005, 10:57 PM

that's amazing...

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jun 30, 2005, 11:08 PM

This picture will blow your mind and is a good case for Hi-Def and next gen hardware.

http://www.bizarreonline.net/index.p...mments=1&id=32
Not really. The textures are still on the blurry side. The models are low polygon count. What makes it look photographic at first is they got the colors and lighting right.

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2005, 11:31 PM

you'll be speeding by at 200mph, if that's the way it looks in a static frame, then as an environment it is pretty amazing.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2005, 10:25 AM

Seems developers are not happy with the fact that it will only have a DVD drive and not a Blu-ray like the PS3.

http://www.pro-g.co.uk/news/nid/1031/

I didn't like changing disks on my GameCube.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2005, 10:04 AM

Some stunning new footage of mostly INGAME footage. If I was a parent I wouldn't buy my kids a system as 99% of this footage includes killing people and smashing cars.

Look for the Madden (football) graphic and click it to watch the video:
http://www.xbox360.com/
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 05:48 PM

Rather impressive trailer for a 360 game. looks like RE4 that all the Nintendo fans swear is one of the best games ever.

Don't see anything wrong with having amazing graphics.
http://www.streamload.com/bohleco/EL...trailer_v4.mov

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2005, 07:13 PM

Rather impressive trailer for a 360 game. looks like RE4 that all the Nintendo fans swear is one of the best games ever.

Don't see anything wrong with having amazing graphics.
http://www.streamload.com/bohleco/EL...trailer_v4.mov
I can't wait for Condemned. It looks like a a first-person Silence of the Lambs. I'm in it more for the "solving a mystery" aspect as opposed to the "beat up the homeless guy with a pipe" angle. Made by the same guys that did FEAR for the PC. I hope that game comes to XBOX360 also.

g

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2005, 08:41 PM

Here is the first IN GAME screengrab of perfect dark. Incredible.

http://www.planetxbox360.com/?view=article&article=286
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2005, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Here is the first IN GAME screengrab of perfect dark. Incredible.

http://www.planetxbox360.com/?view=article&article=286
that looks 10x better than the shots they were showing on the MTV show.

Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2005, 11:38 PM

that looks 10x better than the shots they were showing on the MTV show.
That is because the clips on the MTV show were on the Dev kits which were 3x underpowered in CPU alone.

Salty
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2005, 12:28 AM

Why the heck would they show anything like that if it's not done? Just don't get it.

Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2005, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Salty
Why the heck would they show anything like that if it's not done? Just don't get it.
Build hype. If they would have only shown it a month before it went on sale they would be screwed.

Look at the revolution. They didn't publicly show a single game that wasn't extremely primitive, it wasn't even 8 bit. And it is over a year away.

Salty
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2005, 01:23 AM

Meh. Oh by the way when Apple launches the iTunes video store or whatever it'll be. They should work together with Nintendo since the revolution is going to have built in Wifi. Use that to play the movies on your TV!

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2005, 01:35 AM

Personally I think it's dumb to build hype with an unifinished product. Perfect Dark Zero looked terrible, very current generation. If you are going to show something, show Gears of War or Condemned or something like that. By showing us crap, you are shooting yourself in the foot. Your average consumer will only buy the next generation if it offers them significantly more than the current one. $399 don't come easy to most people.

g

Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2005, 02:28 AM

Meh. Oh by the way when Apple launches the iTunes video store or whatever it'll be. They should work together with Nintendo since the revolution is going to have built in Wifi. Use that to play the movies on your TV!
Pointless idea. Better to have airport express with video out or something.

Ham Sandwich
Sep 29, 2005, 06:28 AM

Those shots from Bizzare Creations that SHOSW linked are pretty darn tasty! But, it really doesn't look to be like that big of a deal - just hi-res textures and good lighting. Now, if said building were crumbling apart or something instead of being static, that would be pretty impressive!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2005, 11:00 AM

And it is over a year away.
really ? TGS....Ninty no booth and all the buzz. I think Ninty's console has the most buzz followed closely by the PS3 with the XB360 far behind. but thats just going from friends and news sites.
At the same time, i think Ninty generated more buzz than M$ by holding back information, as opposed to lying to the public what with backwards compatibility, etc,etc.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2005, 11:01 AM

Movies on my TV! That would be awesome! The future is NOW!

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2005, 11:03 PM

OMG look at this clip. This is the first time 1st person view have been done right. Can you imagine what it would look like on a widescreen HD TV?

http://rmjv.net/vi/pgr3gp2.wmv

fhoubi
Senior User
Oct 2, 2005, 07:37 AM

OMG look at this clip. This is the first time 1st person view have been done right. Can you imagine what it would look like on a widescreen HD TV?
Agreed about the 1st person view. But the car handling is boring & unreal. Stupid arcade instead of a simulator. I got bored before the end of the clip.
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2005, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by fhoubi
Agreed about the 1st person view. But the car handling is boring & unreal. Stupid arcade instead of a simulator. I got bored before the end of the clip.
And how would you know the handling is bad if you aren't the one playing

fhoubi
Senior User
Oct 2, 2005, 05:46 PM

And how would you know the handling is bad if you aren't the one playing
By looking? Steering movement is one. But especially at the end, cornering is unreal, way too fast, the Enzo must be light as a feather and running on rails... OK maybe I should have said realism...
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2005, 06:39 PM

The more I look at the design of the 360 the more I think it is ugly. The design is very American. The oversized "Power" button. The add on Hard drive that looks like an engine sticking out of a hot rod. And the unit sitting up looks like a curvy woman. At the least it looks like a PC when standing.

At first I didn't think it was that bad but after the PS3 it looks absolutely ridiculous.

Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2005, 02:11 PM

A video of the assembly. Looks cooler than the pics.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...589&q=xbox+360

Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2005, 03:38 PM

Check out this video of Kamio. It looks stunning.

Ya, nobody will want environments and graphics like that, they want a remote to wave in the air.

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/4...l_1262874.html

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2005, 07:54 PM

Ya, nobody will want environments and graphics like that, they want a remote to wave in the air.

No ones saying 18-35 yr old male geeks/nerds dont want prettier grpahics(which all 3 consoles will provide). heck ppl like you who are obsessed with video games probably spend most of your lives in front of a TV and monitor. Come to think of it most of the ppl who fit your demographic(male geek) didnt really think the mouse would take off either(waving an obscure device on your table could NEVER compliment the keyboard the way the 'wand' will COMPLIMENT traditional controls)....gosh...how right they were.(sarcasm)

And yeah...i wasnt aware of any NRS screenshots available, obviously youve seen some...that leads you to beleive the XB360's will be better. either that or your just spending way too much time campaigning against Nintendo. i'm betting on the latter though.

Get a reality check before you start crappin ur opinion in public.

Cheers

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2005, 08:07 PM

Who said nobody wants beautiful graphics? Don't say Nintendo has, because they haven't. It's the focus on just that that Nintendo's trying to look beyond. Instead of commendation for even working and pushing new ideas, you crap all over a video game product that you have yet to even play or hold or experience yet. And all of this without knowing exactly what the Revolution will be able to produce visually and graphically—though you're sure despise whatever art direction comes out of the Nintendo camp, for sure. . Not that you won't whine and moan when you actually do play the Revolution for the first time, but let's see how things play out!

Downloading now. I've seen videos before of Kameo. Looks really amazing. Makes me miss the Rare guys, and this will most likely push me into getting all three consoles come next-gen, though definitely not a 360 any time soon. I was pretty sure I would before, but then was reserved about the 360 after seeing the price tag and title pricing. Seeing the new Perfect Dark videos pretty much confirmed it. Now that looks awesome.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2005, 08:07 PM

That file download is 396MB! MS is crazy!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2005, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by MindFad
Who said nobody wants beautiful graphics? Don't say Nintendo has, because they haven't. It's the focus on just that that Nintendo's trying to look beyond. Instead of commendation for even working and pushing new ideas, you crap all over a video game product that you have yet to even play or hold or experience yet. And all of this without knowing exactly what the Revolution will be able to produce visually and graphically—though you're sure despise whatever art direction comes out of the Nintendo camp, for sure. . Not that you won't whine and moan when you actually do play the Revolution for the first time, but let's see how things play out!
It's pretty weird eh ? Nintendo hasnt said "graphics dont matter", no screenshots or specs are even out yet, noone has actually played an actual game on their next system and he's already condeming it. Usually people wait till they have seen the product or better yet use it to have an opinion about it, but SWB here seems to have one already. I guess it could just be the word "Nintendo" for him lol..

Only goes to show that you cant take his word or opinion on anything to do with video games. An avid gamer he may be, but a critical-thinker/ analytical-consumer he be not. lol.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2005, 09:31 PM

Ok, I take back what I said about Rare. That Kameo video SWF posted was freaking amazing. I may get a 360 after all. What Perfect Dark videos were you referring to Mindfad?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2005, 11:19 PM

I dare the biggest MS hater to watch that 350 meg video and NOT want to run out and buy a 360. Graphics aside the gameplay and variety of characters and moves is remarkable.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2005, 11:26 PM

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2005, 12:34 AM

Well i cant download a 360MB video, but will try when i get on campus.I checked out the screenshots though. Looks great a lot going on....
A pointy eared main character wearing a green outfit, riding a brown n white horse and a talking tree. Seems strangely familar.....

Anyway, it looks great...as i'd expect any next-gen title to look, and im sure it plays great too seeing as how the controller looks very familar to me (provided they duplicated their controls and camera style as well as they did their character design).

But personally i wont be throwing my money away just yet. Have a look at what the competition is offering as well before investing(if your like me and will probably be buying only one console). Like ive mentioned before...i havent seen a "killer game" for any 3 yet, so i have no inclination to buy any of them. I will wait until i have at least seen what they all will be offering.

Thus far: NRS most intreguing.....dosent mean the controller will actually work....but interesting none the less. also lowest price point(hardware, software, services).

XB360:if you want nextgen NOW, get it. its the most tangeble of the 3. price is just fine as well.

PS3: Nothing going for it except the specs. get it if that what you want in ur gaming world...specs. Oh and be ready to pay a pretty penny for it as well.

Cheers

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2005, 01:47 AM

Beleive it or not, im actually looking forward to the next gen games.

Here's a thought....you know how M$ and intel announced support for HD-DVD, and then the very next day, HD-DVD's release was postponed ?....could the XB360 be the exclusive launching pad for HD-DVD until BR hits the market in Spring 2006 ?

That coupled with the XB360's price would really sweeten the deal for me. I have a very strong suspicion that the XB360 will ship with HD-DVD drives seeing as how they can be manufactured using existing plants and production methods. This could be the edge both M$ and HD-DVD needs...but thats just speculation on my part.

Cheers

Ratm
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 03:45 AM

For all you Xbox fans. See how they use BitTorrent to distribute the movie files....deliciously ironic
http://xboxyde.com/index_en.html

Ratm
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Beleive it or not, im actually looking forward to the next gen games.

Here's a thought....you know how M$ and intel announced support for HD-DVD, and then the very next day, HD-DVD's release was postponed ?....could the XB360 be the exclusive launching pad for HD-DVD until BR hits the market in Spring 2006 ?

That coupled with the XB360's price would really sweeten the deal for me. I have a very strong suspicion that the XB360 will ship with HD-DVD drives seeing as how they can be manufactured using existing plants and production methods. This could be the edge both M$ and HD-DVD needs...but thats just speculation on my part.

Cheers

It doesn't really matter now anyways. The majority of the film studios have show their support for Blue-ray tech. It's all over for HD-DVD. And now Toshiba is even considering the BR tech for their equipment. MS was left standing there looking like an idiot showing support for a techknowlogy that nobody wants to use now. Damn it! It's time for my bed time. I'm sleepy as hell.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2005, 05:16 PM

You can listen to the amazing soundtrack of Kameo.

http://www.kameosoundtrack.com/

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Forum Links
Forum Rules