Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Really good photo inkjet printer for under $200

Really good photo inkjet printer for under $200
Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2005, 09:33 PM

Hi all,

Now that I have about a zillion photos in iPhoto, it's time I buy an inkjet printer that can print them so they look like photos instead of pixelated garbage the way my C62 makes them look. What do you folks use and what do you like? I'm looking at the Canon Pixma ip5000, seems to have good performance and price. Thoughts? Real world experiences? Thanks for anything you have to offer.

Tom

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 6, 2005, 09:42 PM

That's a great printer, but it was just replaced by the iP4200 that has more fade-resistant inks.

I have a Canon i850 (which is 2 years old already) and it's still great. If you do a search of this forum, you'll find that many people are happy with the Canons. They're fast and have cheap ink, and don't have clogging problems. The current Pixmas also have built-in double-sided printing, making them handy all-round printers, too.

I print photos using Canon ink on Ilford paper ("Smooth" series and Printasia series), with superb results.

tooki

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2005, 11:13 PM

What he said...

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2005, 11:25 PM

I have the Canons iP5000 and the iP4000, the iP4200 and iP5200 are less expensive, faster, better, and have longer lasting inks...no question these are the best hands down.

Madison  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2005, 04:56 AM

Thanks, so I guess I'm on the right track, that's good to know! Thanks again everyone!

Tom

itguy05
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2005, 09:22 AM

I seem to be printer guy as I have 4 of 'em in my house:

1) Canon i560 - good workhorse and fast, so-so prints. They fade quickly
2) Canon i960 - great photo printer, but the prints also fade quickly
3) Epson R1800 - AWESOME photo printer and the prints will outlive me.
4) Brother MFC-5440cn - great MFC, sucky for photos

That being said, Canons are great but the prints can and do fade quickly. I have a few in my office that have faded in less than 6 months. The new Canons supposedly don't fade as much, but that remains to be seen.

If you don't care about longevity, Canon is a great printer. If you need/want longevity, Epson is where it's at.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2005, 10:12 AM

i just got an ip4200, and am really happy with it. replaced my 4-year old canon i550...
really good quality, double-sided printing (useful for me), 2 trays...nice.

ink is expensive tho...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 7, 2005, 03:59 PM

At all the stores I've been to, the inks for the iP4200 are the same price as those for the i550, which is to say very cheap for original inks.

tooki

e_perez_2000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2005, 02:55 PM

Epson Stylus PHOTO R200. Awsome photos, little bit slow, super economical replacement cartridges on www.megatoners.com.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Edward A. Perez[/FONT]
NORTWEST GRAPHICS SOLUTION
Aguadilla, P.R. 00603

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2005, 03:24 PM

Non-original ink carts are SHIAT. Go advertise somewhere else. I have never tried a third-party cart that was even close to the original equipment in any measure other than 'well, its ink aint it?'....

I have to agree with some of the comments about print longevity from the Canons. I've noticed it. The Epson R800 we got recently at work is very nice, especially if the prints last as long as they say.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2005, 04:51 PM

ANY Canon.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules