Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Altivec enhanced clients for other projects ?

Altivec enhanced clients for other projects ?
Knightrider
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2005, 02:28 PM

Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to develop an optimised client for other BOINC projects (on Mac of course). I know that this is not possible with CPDN (I dicussed this with Carl sometime ago) as their models have been developed over thirty years, and written in an old code.

The one I had in mind was Einstien at home, but perhaps some of the other projects would be ammenable to optimisation?

K.

Snake_doctor
Oct 8, 2005, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Knightrider
Hi,
The one I had in mind was Einstien at home, but perhaps some of the other projects would be ammenable to optimisation?

K.
The folks at Einstein just completed a rewrite of the main app. It was released to the general user community about a month ago. Look here for a discussion of the beta testing.

Regards
Phil
We must seek intelligent life on other planets as it is increasingly apparent we will not find any on our own.

Link: http://www.boincsynergy.com/images/stats/comb-2033.jpg

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2005, 06:57 PM

The Altivec Einstein app is about twice as fast as the non-altivec version. I was part of the beta testing and it works very well. That is why Team MacNN is advancing quickly in that project. It was developed internally by the Einstein project team. Very nice of them.

Karl Schimanek
Oct 20, 2005, 06:00 PM

SETI@Home
Einstein@Home
RC5
Folding@Home

AFAIK

Karl

Andrew F
Nov 3, 2005, 08:31 PM

What's the best optimized client to run?

I'm currently running the superbench Menubar 4.44 for 10.3.9 on the G5...
What's the difference between the Altivec enhanced client and superbenchs?

Will any of these optimized clients cause issues with other projects?

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2005, 02:35 AM

There are two different clients involved here. The BOINC SuperBench 4.44 clients are for the BOINC client that schedules application clients such as SETI or Einstein, and the actual application clients which do the calculations (SETI and Einstein, etc.). Einstein, Alex and Rick's SETI client and a couple of others have optimized the clients that actually do the calculating to take advantage of Altivec. Some such as CPDN have not.

If I remember correctly, the SuperBench client adjusts the Benchmarks so BOINC requests enough work units to keep one's individual queue full because the optimized calculation clients operate so fast they would otherwise download too few work units to keep your computer busy.

beadman

Kadin2048
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2005, 03:07 PM

It sounds from what I read in the thread that the official Einstein worker that's used automatically is now the most recent Altivec-enhanced version?

Just curious if there has been any more development on it since then, or if v4.82 is what most people are using currently.

Forum Links
Forum Rules