Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > G5 quad and UPS

G5 quad and UPS
Simon H
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2005, 01:03 AM

Well,

my quad order will be going in very soon and i am definitely putting a UPS on this system. I have been checking the specs for UPS and it seems to point to a 1500va unit but the APC site doesn't have the quad listed yet.

Has anyone here got a quad running on a UPS ? If so, what spec and make, any problems etc to be aware of ?

cheers

Simon

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2005, 04:25 AM

The quad's power supply is rated for 10A at 125V (so 1250VA) maximum, so 1500VA will be fine.

turk.o
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2005, 07:04 PM

hey, there was thread about this last week: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...light=quad+ups . a search of 'quad" and "UPS" would have found it, so it seems like you didn't try very hard. it helps everyone out if you search the forum before making a new topic, thanks!

turk.o

Simon H  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2005, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by turk.o
hey, there was thread about this last week: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...light=quad+ups . a search of 'quad" and "UPS" would have found it, so it seems like you didn't try very hard. it helps everyone out if you search the forum before making a new topic, thanks!

turk.o
Turk,

I did search for "ups", nothing more and still returnd no results. I left the query as open as i could and still found nothing at all. I don't know if it's a problem with Firefox but i am happy to show you the screen caps.

Simon

Simon H  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2005, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
The quad's power supply is rated for 10A at 125V (so 1250VA) maximum, so 1500VA will be fine.
Mark,

thanks - just what i needed.

Simon

MDD867
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2005, 09:19 AM

The Quad G5 draws about 250W idle with 20" Cinema display and a Lacie Bigdisk 320GB.

When all four cores are at 100%, the power consumption rises to about 425W.

I have calculated these values from the load percentage of my 750VA/500W UPS.

Simon H  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2005, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by MDD867
The Quad G5 draws about 250W idle with 20" Cinema display and a Lacie Bigdisk 320GB.

MDD,

you're running a quad on a750va UPS and it's all ok ?

Simon

MDD867
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2005, 02:05 AM

Yes, the Quad uses only 50% of the 750VA UPS's output with a 20" cinema and a 320GB HD.

I'll post some more figures when my 30" cinema arrives...

Simon H  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2005, 10:25 PM

Yes, the Quad uses only 50% of the 750VA UPS's output with a 20" cinema and a 320GB HD.

MDD,

cheers that'd be cool. Electrickery always confused me....lol

Simon

sray
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2005, 07:23 PM

How are you determining this? I have a quad + 30" ACD and the APC Powerchute personal edition (Preference pane) does not give me an actual load amount. Just some options on when to gracefully shut down on power failure?

lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 29, 2005, 08:06 PM

I searched for 'ups' in the initial search box, and got nothing. I went to the advanced search and typed 'quad ups' and got this.

Simon H  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2005, 08:43 PM

[

I searched for 'ups' in the initial search box, and got nothing. I went to the advanced search and typed 'quad ups' and got this.[/QUOTE]

Lothar,

I went back and tried again, it got weirder.

Std search for ups, gave nothing
Advanced search for ups gave nothing
Advanced search for quad ups gave the same list that you got

Simon

MDD867
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2005, 02:53 AM

Sray: Go to http://apctracker.com and download a 30-day trial.

Quad G5 + 30" Cinema + 320GB LaCie = 275W (all idle)

Quad G5 + 30" Cinema + 320GB LaCie = 450W (all cores at 100% using radial blur in photoshop, fans running faster)

BrianZeit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2005, 04:23 AM

wow a quad g5 must be sweet

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2005, 08:28 AM

thank you very much for the info, MDD867 ... this sounds a lot more reasonable than the 1000W that were spread around of after the quads got announced.
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2005, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by dr. zoidberg
thank you very much for the info, MDD867 ... this sounds a lot more reasonable than the 1000W that were spread around of after the quads got announced.
From the PowerMac tech specs:
# Line voltage: 100 - 125V AC or 200 - 240V AC (wide-range power supply input voltage)
# Maximum current: At least 10A (low-voltage range) or 5A (high-voltage range)

Which makes for about 1000W. If you have a high performance graphics card, 16GB RAM, 2 hard drives, extra PCIe cards, firewire and USB devices, etc you may be able to get the power consumption up that high.

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2005, 07:57 PM

yes, of course. anyway, i just wanted to hear some 'real life' data.
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

sray
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2005, 10:35 PM

Ok. Got the software from equinux. Here's my data:

I'm getting a 59% load while running a photoshop radial blur (all four processors are at 100% for about 20 seconds) on my APC 1500VA. The computer is a G5 Quad, 8Gb RAM, 2 500Mb SATA, 30" ACD, Quadro FX 4500 graphics card and about 4 USB/Firewire devices attached. The cable modem is also attached to the APC.

This is excellent for me. I'm not looking for extended protection; just enough time to gracefully shut down in case of a power failure. In the future, if I need a longer run time, I can always add an extra battery back to the 1500RS.

Thanks to MDD867 for helping me get this info.

Simon H  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2005, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by sray
Ok. Got the software from equinux. Here's my data:

I'm getting a 59% load while running a photoshop radial blur (all four processors are at 100% for about 20 seconds) on my APC 1500VA. The computer is a G5 Quad, 8Gb RAM, 2 500Mb SATA, 30" ACD, Quadro FX 4500 graphics card and about 4 USB/Firewire devices attached. The cable modem is also attached to the APC.

This is excellent for me. I'm not looking for extended protection; just enough time to gracefully shut down in case of a power failure. In the future, if I need a longer run time, I can always add an extra battery back to the 1500RS.

Thanks to MDD867 for helping me get this info.

SRAY,

perfect - thank you !

do you have the smart ups or the RS ? And do you know the APC cable number for the Quad ? I'm not sure if it's the 10 or 15 amp...

cheers

Simon

sray
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2005, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Simon H
SRAY,

perfect - thank you !

do you have the smart ups or the RS ? And do you know the APC cable number for the Quad ? I'm not sure if it's the 10 or 15 amp...

cheers

Simon

I am using the Back-UPS RS 1500VA.

Not sure what you meant by APC cable number? I just plugged my G5 Quad into the APC and the APC goes into the wall. I'm in the US so I have a 120V outlet.

Jason Bourne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2005, 05:52 PM

Just wanted to add a note.

I got a 900VA UPS for my quad last weekend but it did NOT have enough juice to keep the Quad + 23" ACD running. When I unplugged it, the computer would stay on for a second or two and then ungracefully shut down. I tried 3 times and got the same result (with the UPS fully charged).

I went back and exchanged it for the 1500VA and that one works fine. Did not test how long it could sustain the computer while unplugged but it definitely can sustain it.

Just a note for those of you who, like me, might try to get the slightly smaller unit for cost/minimization of big boxes in your work area/other reasons.

BTW - does the software provide useful functionality? I have not tried installing it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules