Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Astropulse - ported

Astropulse - ported
Shaktai
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2008, 03:48 PM

Anyone running the ported Astropulse app for OX-X from this thread?

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum...d=48254#785918

Any results, comments or problems with it? Will it run alongside Alex's optimized app?

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2008, 08:17 PM

Supposedly, if you modify your app_info.xml file to the one Dotsch has, it will run both Alex's multi-beam and the Astropulse. What I don't know is if the AP by Dotsch is optimized, The "standard" one gives slightly less than half the points that Alex's v8 does, for the same CPU seconds.

beadman

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2008, 08:37 PM

It is not optimized in any way, so it will take anywhere from 30 to 120 hours or more depending on the CPU.

There is a problem with restarting when the process is stopped for whatever reason, it will usually crash out the app and waste the time you have put into the AP unit. Sometimes it will not do it if you leave work suspended in memory, but even that is not a guarantee.

I have turned off the option to receive them on my machines for the time being, but I do have my app_info.xml file set to run them if needed.

Code:
<app_info> <app> <name>setiathome_enhanced</name> </app> <file_info> <name>seti_enhanced-i386-v8-core2-nographics</name> <executable/> </file_info> <app_version> <app_name>setiathome_enhanced</app_name> <version_num>528</version_num> <file_ref> <file_name>seti_enhanced-i386-v8-core2-nographics</file_name> <main_program/> </file_ref> </app_version> <app_version> <app_name>setiathome_enhanced</app_name> <version_num>603</version_num> <file_ref> <file_name>seti_enhanced-i386-v8-core2-nographics</file_name> <main_program/> </file_ref> </app_version> <app> <name>astropulse</name> </app> <file_info> <name>astropulse_4.35_i686-apple-darwin</name> <executable/> </file_info> <app_version> <app_name>astropulse</app_name> <version_num>435</version_num> <file_ref> <file_name>astropulse_4.35_i686-apple-darwin</file_name> <main_program/> </file_ref> </app_version> </app_info>

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2008, 09:21 PM

Thanks Arkayn and Beadman. That helps. I have added it to my iMac dual 3.06, and will see what happens.

I am running SETI exclusively at present just to see what my machines can do, so BOINC doesn't shut down unless I need to restart a computer. Will just see what the new iMac can do if I get an Astropulse unit. I did modify the app_info file accordingly. Right now looks like I should average somewhere between 3500 and 3800 PPD with my iMac and Mac Mini combined with Alex's optimized client (once production peaks). If I get an astropulse unit I'll watch it closely. Just want to see what it will do. Maybe one of these day's Alex will find time to optimize Astropulse app.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2008, 06:51 PM

Just a quick update. In the last 24 hours I have received 2 Astropulse units, neither of which has started crunching yet. I expect the first unit to start crunching within about 12 hours. the other will likely start a few hours later. I've turned off acceptance of new astropulse units but will process these first two and see what happens. They are processing on an iMac 3.06 core 2 duo. The BOINC time estimate is 11 hours but from the SETI forums reports they will almost certainly take much longer, more like 1-3 days each.

I'll report on my results and experience after they are done, for those who are interested.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2008, 08:51 PM

Crunch3r has released an optimized AP cruncher for Mac

http://calbe.dw70.de/astrop/astropul...arwin_sse3.zip

I have it installed, but the 2 AP units I have downloaded are still a few days away.

My PC has halved the time it takes to crunch an AP unit.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2008, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by arkayn View Post
Crunch3r has released an optimized AP cruncher for Mac
http://calbe.dw70.de/astrop/astropul...arwin_sse3.zip
I have it installed, but the 2 AP units I have downloaded are still a few days away.
My PC has halved the time it takes to crunch an AP unit.
Thanks for the news. I'll check it out.
As a follow-up, my prior work units were errors as a result of some computer maintenance.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2008, 03:13 AM

Okay,I tried Crunch3r's optimized AP app and it worked. Faster then the original, but not nearly as tightly optimized as AK's SETI app. On my iMac dual core 2 duo 3.06, it took about 21.5 hours to complete and claimed 756 credits. That would be approx 845 credits per day. This is quite a bit less then what I get with AK's seti client by a fair amount, but is much better then the default client.

UPDATE: As an FYI, on the same machine I average 1250-1350 claimed credit per day per core running SETI multi-beam (enhanced). So astropulse would provide me 1690 credits per day average, while MB would provide me 2500-2700 credits per day. The difference is that AK spend many months fine tuning to specific processors the optimization on his SETI client, while the Astropulse optimized client is a first generation and not quite as finely tuned yet. Maybe someday Alex will find the time to work his magic on the astropulse app as well.
( Last edited by Shaktai; Oct 26, 2008 at 12:44 PM. )

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2008, 02:08 PM

My C2D (2.33) PC desktop is doing AP units in about 22 hours, so there is still a lot of room for improvement.

Billy
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2008, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Shaktai View Post
UPDATE: As an FYI, on the same machine I average 1250-1350 claimed credit per day per core running SETI multi-beam (enhanced). So astropulse would provide me 1690 credits per day average, while MB would provide me 2500-2700 credits per day. The difference is that AK spend many months fine tuning to specific processors the optimization on his SETI client, while the Astropulse optimized client is a first generation and not quite as finely tuned yet. Maybe someday Alex will find the time to work his magic on the astropulse app as well.
On my iMac Core Duo, I have the optimized client and it is 21% and 13 hours running time for my first Astropulse unit. Maybe it isn't that good on a Core Duo.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2008, 08:59 PM

My iMac hit 50% close to 17 hours, so it might finish around 34 or so. Big improvement over the 80+ hours the non-optimized version took.

Billy
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2008, 07:24 AM

Finally finished in 61 hours. Now the challenge will be to get a wingman to finish the quorum. It could be several months to get the credit for it.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2008, 08:34 AM

I finished both AP units in 33:50.

Gareth Johnston
Nov 2, 2008, 07:04 PM

Well i just wasted 22 hours crunching a unit for 0.00 credit, very pissed off at the minuted.

If the other three i've returned go the same way, seti can take a run and jump.
Mac Pro 2.8GHz x 8, 10GB, 320HDD etc.........
Saving for 32 core Mac Pro. Only £1376.93 to go.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2008, 12:52 AM

My guess is you will get credit for it after Eric looks at it, there is an occasional bug that shows up and Eric will manually assign credit in those cases.

Also there has not been a canonical result yet, so a third crunch is doing it.
( Last edited by arkayn; Nov 3, 2008 at 01:51 AM. )

Gareth Johnston
Nov 3, 2008, 08:20 AM

Cheers arkayn.

Hopefully not a day wasted.

Gareth Johnston
Nov 6, 2008, 07:10 PM

Well this is happening on almost all AP nits, after months of this supposedly being usable this is something that should have been sorted. No wonder there are such a limited number of people who stick with AP.

I'm beginning to have serious doubts about the future of this project.

Forum Links
Forum Rules