Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I bought an M3

I bought an M3
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 22, 2014, 05:58 PM

Would that interest anyone? Would that spur discussion? Would that save this place from its slow but certain demise into over-moderation-induced death? Probably not. But you get to see pictures anyway.

Needs an engine. I have an engine.

My goals are a little bit of blasphemy and a lot of tire smoke.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2014, 07:54 PM

My totally ignorant opinion...

Wow, that looks like a lot of engine for that size car.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2014, 07:57 PM

I didn't see the 5.0.

Shit, son. That's a half liter over what my car has, and my car weighs as much as an Escalade.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 22, 2014, 08:12 PM

Want to know what's hilarious? The 5.0 will be lighter, simpler, more reliable, and more powerful than the outgoing 3.2. Because it's a V-style (vertically aligned) engine, most of the weight will sit behind the front axle line instead of hanging way out in front. The US-spec 2nd generation (E36) M3 is commonly berated for its weaker engine, brakes, differential, and transmission in comparison to the Euro and Canadian version.

I wouldn't do this to an E46, but this platform is perfect.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 22, 2014, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Would that interest anyone? Would that spur discussion? Would that save this place from its slow but certain demise into over-moderation-induced death? Probably not.
We can try. Let's play fill in the bleeps.

**** dude, that car looks like a ****ing piece of ****. I bet that engine sounds like a roaring ****. And **** those tires, honest

Quote this post to reveal answers.
Nice dude, that car looks like a rocking piece of gold. I bet that engine sounds like a roaring lion. And spin those tires, honest

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2014, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
We can try. Let's play fill in the bleeps.

**** dude, that car looks like a ****ing piece of ****. I bet that engine sounds like a roaring ****. And **** those tires, honest
Hahahaha

SSharon
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2014, 09:55 PM

Enjoy the new ride. I don't know BMWs well at all, what year is that M3?

(The place is getting so slow here that even I started a thread (with a job offer!) and I do that about once a year if that often.)
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 22, 2014, 11:02 PM

I'm not really a car expert - it looks nice. It's a shame though to have the radio nicked so quickly.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2014, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
Enjoy the new ride. I don't know BMWs well at all, what year is that M3?

(The place is getting so slow here that even I started a thread (with a job offer!) and I do that about once a year if that often.)
1997. On the Grassroots Motorsports forum, their swear filter automatically replaces "shit" with "E36 M3". That's how hated this car is in the enthusiast world. It was only available in the US as a sedan in '97 and '98 until they introduced the new generation in 2007. Baby-hauling capabilities were a requirement for the fun car to ensure that it would actually get used, and the broad powerband of the V8 will be much appreciated in traffic around town.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2014, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I'm not really a car expert - it looks nice. It's a shame though to have the radio nicked so quickly.
Apparently the seller had a nice flip-up stereo he wanted to keep so he pulled it out and gave me an $80 stereo he bought from Wal-Mart, complete with box and receipt. Back to Wal-Mart it went. I'll be getting something with Bluetooth and hands-free phone capability. But that can wait. I leave for my next trip at the beginning on January, I hope to get the interior detailed and maybe do a little rust repair on the few bubbles popping up before I leave.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2014, 12:06 AM

My goals are a little bit of blasphemy and a lot of tire smoke.
Not unless you're adding forced induction, that's a pretty heavy beast.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2014, 12:20 AM

What? It's 3200lbs. That's on par with a GTI or a Focus ST and lighter than every single midsize sedan (Camry, Accord, Mazda6, Fusion, etc.) made today. How much do you think it weighs? What do you think it takes to spin some tires?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2014, 01:02 AM

That's a Ford 302, I presume a pull from a late-90s Mustang GT? Makes what 220-260bhp at the crank (depending on emissions equipment (hopefully in the trash bin) and fuel system)? That'll bark the tires on a 3200lb car (same weight as the Mustang it came from), but I don't see it making "a lot" of smoke, because the Mustang GT of that era couldn't really make a lot of smoke (unless you counted the often leaky valve cover gaskets).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2014, 01:56 AM

The air freshener is a nice touch.

-t

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2014, 03:55 AM

In typical BMW fashion, it’s nicer than their actual offerings.

My mate at the university had one of those, but being a 318is it was far from being a speed rocket.

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
The air freshener is a nice touch.

-t
Not sure about those wood panels, though… BMW seems to have a perennial pertinency matter where there is a total disconnection between them and the car, not to mention when they overdo it, like the E46 steering wheel.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
That's a Ford 302, I presume a pull from a late-90s Mustang GT? Makes what 220-260bhp at the crank (depending on emissions equipment (hopefully in the trash bin) and fuel system)? That'll bark the tires on a 3200lb car (same weight as the Mustang it came from), but I don't see it making "a lot" of smoke, because the Mustang GT of that era couldn't really make a lot of smoke (unless you counted the often leaky valve cover gaskets).
I thought you were a car guy.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 23, 2014, 10:01 AM

Ah, that's a nice looking car.

OreoCookie
Dec 23, 2014, 10:32 AM

Out of curiosity: I can see that the V8 is simpler and more powerful, but lighter?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2014, 11:18 AM

I thought you were a car guy.
What does that even mean? You can make an older small block V8 put out some decent power, it just depends on how much time and money you're willing to put into it.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2014, 12:16 PM

the broad powerband of the V8 will be much appreciated in traffic around town.
Wonder if you'd appreciate a V8 in traffic if oil was $130 per barrel instead of ~$60.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 23, 2014, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Wonder if you'd appreciate a V8 in traffic if oil was $130 per barrel instead of ~$60.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2014, 12:31 PM

Sorry Dakar, no idea what that means.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 23, 2014, 12:32 PM

I know, it's what made posting it extra delicious.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2014, 12:37 PM

Is that you when you were younger Dakar?

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2014, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Out of curiosity: I can see that the V8 is simpler and more powerful, but lighter?
The BMW engine is an iron-block straight-6 with dual overhead cams. It's huge, and a ton of the weight sits in front of the front axle line. Check out these corner-weighted LS swaps. Since my transmission is 50lbs less and aluminum heads will save me another 50lbs, I'll be equal to or less than an LS/T56 swap, which is right on par with the stock setup.

What does that even mean?
If you want to keep up your car guy persona, at least be willing to do 3 seconds of Googling.

You can make an older small block V8 put out some decent power, it just depends on how much time and money you're willing to put into it.
Wha??? This is news to me! Thank you for your helpful help!!

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
1. I've been planning this long before gas prices dropped
2. Mileage will be similar to or better than stock (18 city/26 highway stock, LS swaps are getting easy 28+ on the highway)
3. Mileage will in the ballpark of any new "fun" car, and it would take about 198 years for the difference in fuel costs to make up the difference in purchase price (assuming I average 24, a BRZ averages 28 per Fuelly, $2.50 per gallon, and 6000 miles per year).

Who knows what the automotive market and petroleum supplies will look like in 25 or 50 years? Might as well enjoy some stonking American V8 power while it's still dirt cheap!

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2014, 12:57 PM

If you want to keep up your car guy persona, at least be willing to do 3 seconds of Googling.

Wha??? This is news to me! Thank you for your helpful help!!
For someone who doesn't like Rob, you sure do act a lot like him. Glad to see you're as bitter and frustrated as ever, sunshine.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2014, 01:48 PM

For someone who doesn't like Rob, you sure do act a lot like him. Glad to see you're as bitter and frustrated as ever, sunshine.
Ooo, tell me more about those late-90s Mustang 5.0 engines!

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2014, 02:15 PM

Ooo, tell me more about those late-90s Mustang 5.0 engines!
You really are petty enough to quibble over being a couple years off (mid-90s instead of late-90s), aren't you? At least try to enjoy the holidays, whatever your issues may be.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 23, 2014, 02:18 PM

Well, this thread achieved its goal, I think.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2014, 03:25 PM

You really are petty enough to quibble over being a couple years off (mid-90s instead of late-90s), aren't you? At least try to enjoy the holidays, whatever your issues may be.
You found Google!! It was never about quibbling over a couple of years, it was about you pretending that you know shit about cars by trying to quote specifics and offer advice when you're way out of your league.

You're welcome to contribute to this thread, but please refrain from pretending that you know anything about what I'm doing or playing psychoanalyst and projecting your own insecurities onto me!

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2014, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Well, this thread achieved its goal, I think.
I mean...I'm not bored, so there's that.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2014, 03:36 PM

So, I'm not a car guy, and not an engineer.

Could someone please fill me in what's going on ?

Kbaithx.

-t

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2014, 04:18 PM

You found Google!! It was never about quibbling over a couple of years, it was about you pretending that you know shit about cars by trying to quote specifics and offer advice when you're way out of your league.

You're welcome to contribute to this thread, but please refrain from pretending that you know anything about what I'm doing or playing psychoanalyst and projecting your own insecurities onto me!
I thought I did okay just trying to remember some useless engine trivia off the top of my head. The rest? Well, it's a Ford V8 swap into a BMW, there's not a lot of sensible advice to give. I guess I can wish you good luck turning your M3 into a Taurus?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 23, 2014, 04:25 PM

M3 into a Taurus?
lel, that's just mean.

Cars are like mothers tell their children? It's what's on the inside that counts?

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2014, 04:38 PM

I thought I did okay just trying to remember some useless engine trivia off the top of my head.
That's not the issue. It's been proven time and time again that you'll try and speak with authority about cars and instead end up looking totally stupid. Then you backpedal, say that wasn't what you meant, downplay the importance of what you got wrong, and eventually resort to name-calling and online-persona-psychoanalysis.

The rest? Well, it's a Ford V8 swap into a BMW, there's not a lot of sensible advice to give.
Where did I ask for advice? Why would I post on a Mac forum asking for advice about an engine swap? Plenty of people have contributed without pretending that they know what they're talking about and looking stupid.

I guess I can wish you good luck turning your M3 into a Taurus?
I'm guessing this is your attempt at a burn. I'd hope you know that the Taurus never came with a 5.0, but at this point it's probable that you do believe that so I'll clarify - the Taurus never came with a 5.0L, and it was never rear wheel drive. After the swap, the car will be better in literally every measurable way than it was before. For future reference, the closest analogy would be the Lincoln LS - rear wheel drive, V8, IRS, and created as a direct competitor to the 3/5 series.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2014, 05:09 PM

That's not the issue. It's been proven time and time again that you'll try and speak with authority about cars and instead end up looking totally stupid. Then you backpedal, say that wasn't what you meant, downplay the importance of what you got wrong, and eventually resort to name-calling and online-persona-psychoanalysis.

Where did I ask for advice? Why would I post on a Mac forum asking for advice about an engine swap? Plenty of people have contributed without pretending that they know what they're talking about and looking stupid.
yu mad bra?

I'm guessing this is your attempt at a burn. I'd hope you know that the Taurus never came with a 5.0, but at this point it's probable that you do believe that so I'll clarify - the Taurus never came with a 5.0L, and it was never rear wheel drive. After the swap, the car will be better in literally every measurable way than it was before. For future reference, the closest analogy would be the Lincoln LS - rear wheel drive, V8, IRS, and created as a direct competitor to the 3/5 series.
wtf u a nerd bra. was a sick burn bra.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2014, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
lel, that's just mean.

Cars are like mothers tell their children? It's what's on the inside that counts?
only if there ugly bra

OreoCookie
Dec 23, 2014, 05:40 PM

That's a Ford 302, I presume a pull from a late-90s Mustang GT? Makes what 220-260bhp at the crank (depending on emissions equipment (hopefully in the trash bin) and fuel system)?
Doesn't the M3 engine have an output of 321 hp (at least in the Euro spec they did)?

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2014, 06:55 PM

Doesn't the M3 engine have an output of 321 hp (at least in the Euro spec they did)?
Euro spec was 282hp from '92-'95 and 321hp from '96-'99. This generation M3 was available in the US from '95-'99 and was rated at 240hp the whole time.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2014, 07:12 PM

Quite a few owners converted their US E36 M3s to (for the most part) the European spec, but the DOT and EPA get their panties in a bunch over it.

OreoCookie
Dec 24, 2014, 01:05 PM

Euro spec was 282hp from '92-'95 and 321hp from '96-'99. This generation M3 was available in the US from '95-'99 and was rated at 240hp the whole time.
That makes sense then. Because I was wondering whether the engine swap made sense at all if the replacement engine made less horsepower than the one you're replacing (although I'm sure it'd be torquier).

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 25, 2014, 10:28 AM

That's a Ford 302, I presume a pull from a late-90s Mustang GT? Makes what 220-260bhp at the crank
260bhp from a 5 litre? Thats dreadful. The original 3.2 must have been more than that. 260bhp is a tuned 2 litre, not a 5 litre V8. What a waste of fuel.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2014, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
260bhp from a 5 litre? Thats dreadful. The original 3.2 must have been more than that. 260bhp is a tuned 2 litre, not a 5 litre V8. What a waste of fuel.
EPA regulations sucked all the fun out of US motoring, starting in 1972.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 25, 2014, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Ignoring the fact that peak hp/displacement is the least important aspect of an engine, we've already discussed stock output.

LaminarIsaTool
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2014, 01:24 AM

This would be cool if the person doing the build wasn't an incompetent douchebag.

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
Dec 29, 2014, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by LaminarIsaTool View Post
I would be cool if I wasn't a socially challenged douchebag.
fixed that for you
If you have Ghosts, you have Everything!

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
Dec 29, 2014, 01:33 AM

ps - reported!
If you have Ghosts, you have Everything!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2014, 03:06 AM

Oh, look who's back. Well, can't say this honeypot of a thread hasn't worked.

-t

Ham Sandwich
Dec 29, 2014, 01:20 PM

In before the......

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2014, 03:42 PM

Hey everyone, MacNN is the worst! I've been saying this for 12 years now! But here I am!

Forum Links
Forum Rules