Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] ShapeShifter 1.1 Released

[ANN] ShapeShifter 1.1 Released
NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2004, 03:05 PM

I'm sure most of you have heard by now... But it's out and works nice with dark themes with improved text color support. There are a few other cool improvements, like the clock can be the right color.
Full list of updates and download:
http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/shapeshifter/
click one

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2004, 03:10 PM

What no reviews yet? Will my trial be reset?

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2004, 03:13 PM

yeah im running this with a (slightly modified) version of Neos and its great...all the etched text is readable, its the first truely useable dark theme IMO...couldnt stand the way the etched text looked in safari before...

brianwilson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2004, 03:24 PM

Sheesh - you people are quick. I couldn't even finish typing up my own thread to announce it. Good thing I check before I clicked submit.

Enjoy and thanks for your suggestions, support, etc!

timdorr
Jan 21, 2004, 03:40 PM

Unlocking a locked screen (and showing the authorization dialog) is no longer slow when using ShapeShifter.
This was my biggest thing that was added at the last minute in the beta. I am now a happy man
140x40? 4 lines of text? o_O?
Man, those are some strict sig guidelines.

dole
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2004, 03:41 PM

I'm glad to see that this made it into ShapeShifter 1.1. Now I don't have to wait 15 seconds watching the beachball until the authorization dialog shows up.

Unlocking a locked screen (and showing the authorization dialog) is no longer slow when using ShapeShifter.

Slayer-X
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2004, 03:44 PM

So does this mean that ThemePark will be updated so that we can now make our themes utilize these new features?

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2004, 03:50 PM

hmmm... I upgraded to 1.1 and, just to be on the safe side, restarted my machine. I checked the version number was indeed 1.1, and installed Neos again. My fast user switching name is indeed blue now, but the clock and battery icons are still aqua-standard smoothed black and look awful, and the etched bookmark bar text in Safari is the same as it ever was. Am I doing something wrong?
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2004, 03:55 PM

theme needs to be updated, for safari at least.

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2004, 03:55 PM

not to be repetitive, but will it give me another 15 days? Or whatever the trial was?

timdorr
Jan 21, 2004, 03:57 PM

hmmm... I upgraded to 1.1 and, just to be on the safe side, restarted my machine. I checked the version number was indeed 1.1, and installed Neos again. My fast user switching name is indeed blue now, but the clock and battery icons are still aqua-standard smoothed black and look awful, and the etched bookmark bar text in Safari is the same as it ever was. Am I doing something wrong
Check in your ~/Library/Application Enhancers/ and /Library/Application Enhancers/ folders and ensure that you don't have a) duplicate copies of ShareShifter.ape installed, and b) ShapeShifter.ape is indeed version 1.1.
140x40? 4 lines of text? o_O?
Man, those are some strict sig guidelines.

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2004, 04:00 PM

Works great!

I an an SS registered user but I keep a back up for all the themes. It looks like EYLO is bundled with ShapeShifter can't we get it for download?

ZXspectrum
Denmark

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2004, 04:09 PM

Where can we get the new version of Neos?
Also, did anyone figure out how to theme text box hilite colors? Is that possible to theme or is it hard coded?

I can't believe a few minutes ago I reverted back to Aqua... and now a new version of Shape Shifter comes out... great timing eh?

So when will you all be updating your dark themes?

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2004, 04:14 PM

Me too. I'm updated with SS and Ape to 1.1 and Safari is still the dark etched. Any idea anyone?
I reloaded ss and neos and safari enhancer...
thanks.
bv.
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2004, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by timdorr:
Check in your ~/Library/Application Enhancers/ and /Library/Application Enhancers/ folders and ensure that you don't have a) duplicate copies of ShareShifter.ape installed, and b) ShapeShifter.ape is indeed version 1.1.
Nope. Tried all of that. I even manually deleted all SS files, restarted, downloaded SS again, installed it, restarted again, entered registration details again, and then applied NEOS again, logged out, logged in, no change. Still the hard-to-read embossed Safari text, still shitty black menubar battery and clock icons. It is DEFINITELY version 1.1.

Any other suggestions? I am using 10.3.2 by the way.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2004, 05:08 PM

... on my install i have the menu items with new blue color but no safari text correction... hmmm, seems to be some funny stuff going on w/ ss 1.1.
hope it gets flushed out soon... i hate the black safari bookmark links...
bv.
www.theblogproject.com

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jan 21, 2004, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by Ozzpot:
Nope. Tried all of that. I even manually deleted all SS files, restarted, downloaded SS again, installed it, restarted again, entered registration details again, and then applied NEOS again, logged out, logged in, no change. Still the hard-to-read embossed Safari text, still shitty black menubar battery and clock icons. It is DEFINITELY version 1.1.

Any other suggestions? I am using 10.3.2 by the way.
Originally posted by bluevertical:
... on my install i have the menu items with new blue color but no safari text correction... hmmm, seems to be some funny stuff going on w/ ss 1.1.
hope it gets flushed out soon... i hate the black safari bookmark links...
bv.
The simple reason is that the theme is made for SS 1.0.1 and does not include cutsomized etched text or the menu extras you mention. There is nothing wrong with your install. To verify you can try EYLO and see that the etched text and menu extras do change.

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2004, 05:23 PM

cool. figured it was something with the theme. thanks for the clarification.
bv.
www.theblogproject.com

iamnotmad
Senior User
Jan 21, 2004, 05:28 PM

I gotta hand it to you guys. Shapeshifter makes changing and trying out new themes fun and worry free.

(oh jeez that sounds like an ad)

Anyway, the bookmarks bar and tabs text problem in safari made dark themes unusable to me. That's solved, now we just need some theme updates.

My only other request is to get the finder column view background color changable, the contrast with white when using dark themes is terrible! Will this be in SS 1.5?

foad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2004, 05:30 PM

A interesting thing that has happened to me is this.

When I tried Eylo and then when to another theme, I noticed that the Inactive Title Bar text color is still stuck at blue for Aqua windows.

Has anyone noticed this too?
Work: Defaultmind || Play: Apple-Is

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2004, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by foad:
When I tried Eylo and then when to another theme, I noticed that the Inactive Title Bar text color is still stuck at blue for Aqua windows.
same problem here. reverting back to aqua gets rid of it, but then applying a theme (any theme) brings back the Eylo inactive window title text.

:: eagerly awaits ThemePark update ::
DigitalRamen sucks.

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2004, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by Twister:
not to be repetitive, but will it give me another 15 days? Or whatever the trial was?
Yes it seems to.

onlooker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2004, 07:27 PM

I thought BBX Omega was going to be included with this version? Was I misinformed?

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2004, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
The simple reason is that the theme is made for SS 1.0.1 and does not include cutsomized etched text or the menu extras you mention. There is nothing wrong with your install. To verify you can try EYLO and see that the etched text and menu extras do change.
Thanks bOOzo. I thought it must have something to do with that. I guess we'll have to wait for Daisuke to update NEOS. Ironically, this theme wasn't due for release until the end of the month. He got it out a week and a half early. If he'd have waited, it would probably have been a 1.1 compatible version. Never mind, I'm sure he's on the case right now.

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2004, 07:35 PM

Onlooker- You're half right. it was supposed to come out in the next release, but the guys at Unsanity decided to release a small update - 1.1 - before the next big one - 1.5, according to smeger.
Omega should be with it then, but it's not set in stone.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

onlooker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2004, 07:43 PM

I've never seen Neos. Where can I DL it to check it out?

[edit] Forgert it I found it.
( Last edited by onlooker; Jan 21, 2004 at 07:49 PM. )

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Jan 21, 2004, 08:15 PM

Not for me...

I was really looking forward to this release... but the DEMO EXPIRED red message is still there.

Z

Slayer-X
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2004, 10:24 PM

Not to be a biznatch and all but since you guys are working on SS1.5 now, can I suggest maybe seeing if there is a way to change the color of the drop dhadow behind the Desktop Icon labels? When you use a dark text color for those, the drop shadow makes it illegible. If I could make that a white drop shadow, it'd be great.

I am so pleased with how far you guys are coming with this SS project though. I so cannot wait until 1.5, because I just know it will be phenomenal.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2004, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by :dragonflypro::
Not for me...

I was really looking forward to this release... but the DEMO EXPIRED red message is still there.

Z
I'm pretty sure if you log out/in it should reset?

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2004, 11:58 PM

It seems that with ShapeShifter 1.1 enabled, Safari v1.1.1 has problems rendering the tabs and the entire tab bar ets destroyed. Disabling SS 1.1 fixes this. Anyone else see this bad behavior/bug?

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by Ozzpot:
hmmm... I upgraded to 1.1 and, just to be on the safe side, restarted my machine. I checked the version number was indeed 1.1, and installed Neos again. My fast user switching name is indeed blue now, but the clock and battery icons are still aqua-standard smoothed black and look awful, and the etched bookmark bar text in Safari is the same as it ever was. Am I doing something wrong?
The theme has to be updated to use etched text color changes.
click one

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 12:51 AM

so is 1.1 worth it?

JudieKaren
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2004, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
The theme has to be updated to use etched text color changes.
Does this mean ALL the themes need to be updated, other than the ones that came with SS 1.1? I switch between Shinobi, Titanium7, and Neos.

TIA
JudieKaren

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by JudieKaren:
Does this mean ALL the themes need to be updated, other than the ones that came with SS 1.1? I switch between Shinobi, Titanium7, and Neos.

TIA

They will if they want to take advantage of new text color features, but don't NEED to be updated otherwise.

boy8cookie: Why wouldn't it be "worth it"? It's a step closer to the features needed for Omega and is a substantial update from 1.0.1, I think there are speed increases and memory leeks fixed too.
click one

badidea
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2004, 04:21 AM

Shapeshifter or Theme Bug??
(look at the context menu devider lines)

or

Detail

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 04:38 AM

Except for the "Safari problem", I really love 1.1
Hope we will see nice themes using 1.1 soon

Maybe with th unsanity contest ?

dru
Senior User
Jan 22, 2004, 07:52 AM

Yes it seems to.
It didn't here.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2004, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by cgc:
It seems that with ShapeShifter 1.1 enabled, Safari v1.1.1 has problems rendering the tabs and the entire tab bar ets destroyed. Disabling SS 1.1 fixes this. Anyone else see this bad behavior/bug?
Nope; and I've tried almost all my themes with SS 1.1/Safari 1.1.1, since SS now allows theming of safari tabs, is it possible the theme your using has some special bug that is killing the tabs?

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2004, 10:41 AM

I use SmoothStripes 4.1 from Max. Maybe something to do with the SafariIcon's (also Max's smoothstripes sunken blue aqua). Thanks.

MetalSnake
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2004, 01:46 PM

ShapeShifter 1.1 is out and I can�t test it because of that damn file that�s hidden somewhere
They should atleast reset the demo when I install a newer Version

btw:
There was already an app called ShapeShifter and on german sites everybody thinks the original ShapeShifter was updated and then they find out it�s ann app that sould be called ThemeShifter

http://www.uni-mainz.de/~bauec002/SSMain.html

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 01:52 PM

Good release. Thanks for the text in safari!!At last!
The only disapointment is about the metal texture.. Still not available..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2004, 03:24 PM

I have an idea. Package Shapeshifter with and without all the extra's. Would make downloads for some people a whole lot easier. At least do it for modem users.

Lew
Senior User
Jan 22, 2004, 04:31 PM

Nice! Just registered my copy (I've been waiting for the ability to have light text colours in dark themes)

dru
Senior User
Jan 22, 2004, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by MetalSnake:
ShapeShifter 1.1 is out and I can�t test it because of that damn file that�s hidden somewhere
They should atleast reset the demo when I install a newer Version
Worse than that, you can't convert the GUIKits to DLTA without ShapeShifter! With the demo claiming my time is up and not reset with the new release, I can't convert any new themes.

So... are there kickbacks for theme authors (free ShapeShifter, discounts, a percentage) or what? It's disgusting that theme users are being herded by lock-in on one end and no-timeout reset into paying for ShapeShifter to stay up-to-date with themes they were able to use freely before this "miracle" app came along. Sorry, even Microsoft is more subtle than this: like a brick.

I've actually purchased Silk, Windowshade, Mighty Mouse and XSounds (not using anymore) so don't tell me I'm not willing to pay Unsanity.

It'd be nice if loyal Unsanity customers got discounts like those who buy in bulk at one time but some of us have bought as each haxie debuted and seemingly have been rewarded with higher costs. Now this ShapeShifter demo penalty business... way to go.

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2004, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by dru:
Worse than that, you can't convert the GUIKits to DLTA without ShapeShifter! With the demo claiming my time is up and not reset with the new release, I can't convert any new themes.

So... are there kickbacks for theme authors (free ShapeShifter, discounts, a percentage) or what? It's disgusting that theme users are being herded by lock-in on one end and no-timeout reset into paying for ShapeShifter to stay up-to-date with themes they were able to use freely before this "miracle" app came along. Sorry, even Microsoft is more subtle than this: like a brick.

I've actually purchased Silk, Windowshade, Mighty Mouse and XSounds (not using anymore) so don't tell me I'm not willing to pay Unsanity.

It'd be nice if loyal Unsanity customers got discounts like those who buy in bulk at one time but some of us have bought as each haxie debuted and seemingly have been rewarded with higher costs. Now this ShapeShifter demo penalty business... way to go.
make your own program, stop your bitching.

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2004, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Mike:
make your own program, stop your bitching.
EXACTLY!!!

Damn it people, you want competition in Mac theming market? Why don't you work on it? What do you want from Unsanity??? You want them to give out SS for free? Or you want them to supply competition?
Unsanity made SS, they think it's worth $$, they can charge for it. If you think you do not want SS, make your own app. Bitching about this guiKit to dlta conversion is silly - dlta can't do stuff that guiKit can - plain and simple. It's not Unsanity's responsibility to provide ways for folks who do not want to pay for their product to buypass the fees ... that's idiotic. Themers like SS b/c it opens up new possibilities for them. What do you want them to do - not make any guikits until Unsanity makes SS free to satisfy YOU? I just really don't get this ... Unsanity is not forcing you to use SS - there's just no competition that compares to them. But if you make it happen, I'll be happy to see it. If Microsoft was the only company that developed a desktop operating system, then I think people would not be bitching about Bill Gate's monopilizing tactics - there'd be no one to monopolilze against ...
So if you want to stay in the Dark Ages of OS X theming and swap resources out by hand - fine, do it. But do not expect Unsanity to help make that process easier for you. They did what they could - you don't like it, don't use it. Go make your own themes and install them with TC.

And all this over $20!!! For people who invested in a Mac, this is ridiculous ... sorry I just don't understand.
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2004, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Mike:
I have an idea. Package Shapeshifter with and without all the extra's. Would make downloads for some people a whole lot easier. At least do it for modem users.
I am a modem user, I had no problem with the shapeshifter download. It's the themes I download that cause me trouble; they could easily be more compressed, and they bundle them with safari skins and desktops and on and on... I just want to download the theme, see if I like it, if I do, THEN I can download all the extras.

Another thing, being a modem user, I noticed that the dialup menu extra is not changed to the theme's text color like the clock/fast user switching etc. Did Unsanity overlook this, having probably never seen the dialup menu extra?

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2004, 08:03 PM

It's simple... Don't use it if you don't want to pay.
Wow, that was easy!
www.theblogproject.com

dru
Senior User
Jan 22, 2004, 09:18 PM

If you tried it in November and didn't buy back then you cannot try the new release.

How is that fair, reasonable, sensible, sane?

How do you make an informed purchasing decision when you can't try the thing?

Piss away $20?

They *claim* you can demo but that isn't entirely true.

smeger
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by dru:
If you tried it in November and didn't buy back then you cannot try the new release.

How is that fair, reasonable, sensible, sane?
ShapeShifter 1.1 is supposed to add an additional 5 days of trial to an expired demo. It appears that this is working for most people, but not for all.

If you're still evaluating ShapeShifter and your demo wasn't reset, then a) I apologize and b) this was not intentional, it's an error.

How do you make an informed purchasing decision when you can't try the thing?
You can't, you're absolutely correct.

If you downloaded ShapeShifter 1.1, installed it, and rebooted and did not gain at least 5 days of demo time, please contact me at jason at unsanity, with a com at the end. I'd like to figure out why this is happening.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Forum Links
Forum Rules