Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Boot from external USB2.0 drive?

Boot from external USB2.0 drive?
sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2006, 08:21 AM

Can anyone confirm this? Apparently, thanks to EFI, one can boot from a USB2.0 connected external drive (at least on the Duo iMac), not just Firewire anymore. I want to make sure this is possible on the Macbook before I purchase a new external enclosure.
( Last edited by sieb; Jun 3, 2006 at 09:49 AM. )
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

sieb  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2006, 01:20 AM

No ones tried it?
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2006, 02:47 AM

Don't have one to try. Personally, I have always had higher throughput with FW drives, so I never bothered to actually buy a USB drive.

cambie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2006, 08:51 PM

yes, i boot my macbook pro off of my external usb 2.0 western digital drive. just hold down option while booting up and it's an option to choose.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 5, 2006, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by sieb
Can anyone confirm this? Apparently, thanks to EFI, one can boot from a USB2.0 connected external drive (at least on the Duo iMac), not just Firewire anymore. I want to make sure this is possible on the Macbook before I purchase a new external enclosure.
Yes, but it's not actually due to EFI. Mac OS 9 could also boot from USB on AGP Macs, which use Open Firmware. (Oddly, those same Macs that can boot OS 9 from USB can't boot OS X from USB. Clearly, it's OS X's bootloader that was the limitation.)

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules