Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Transferring to new MacBook

Transferring to new MacBook
UncleDannie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2009, 02:05 PM

I have a emac that I have running really smooth. I have purchased an older MacBook 13 1.85Ghz laptop. I want to transfer all my programs and settings to the new (to me) MacBook. I also have Snow Leopard 10.6 that I want to install on the MacBook.

What steps should I take? Install Snow Leopard on MacBook first or last?

How do I transfer all my data/programs from my eMac to the MacBook? Which software is best?

I plan to keep the eMac, the MacBook is just for a portable platform. The eMac is a tad too heavy to lug around as a portable.
Uncle Dannie of Texas
eMac 1.25Ghz Memory: 2GB; Optical Drive: Pioneer DVD-R/W OS: 10.4
MacBook 1.87Ghz Memory: 2GB, HD: 80 GB, OS: 10.6

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2009, 02:48 PM

INstall snow leopard on the MacBook. I would do a clean install, i.e boot from the SL dvd and then use Disk Utilities to wipe the drive. Then install SL. Once the MacBook reboots it will go through the welcome to Mac OSX movie and ask if you want to transfer data from an older mac. select this option. Connect your old eMac to the new MacBook via either Firewire cable or ethernet cable (or Airport as a last resort) and run the migration assistant.

Viola (eventually if using Airport) all your old data and user accounts etc on the new mac.

Enjoy
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

UncleDannie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2009, 01:07 AM

Thanks. Worked like a charm. Some things in life are sooo simple. It's the operators who make it complex. Thanks for showing me the light.
Uncle Dannie of Texas
eMac 1.25Ghz Memory: 2GB; Optical Drive: Pioneer DVD-R/W OS: 10.4
MacBook 1.87Ghz Memory: 2GB, HD: 80 GB, OS: 10.6

Forum Links
Forum Rules