Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I have a new car too!! (pix inside)

I have a new car too!! (pix inside) (Page 2)
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I look awesome in mine.
I'm sure you do dear.

andi*pandi
Mar 22, 2010, 01:56 PM

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I don't think they'd kill themselves, I think they'd pick up precision tools and kill the person who called one of their cars a ricer fitted VW wheels to one of their cars.
Fixinatedness.

OreoCookie
Mar 22, 2010, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
You're mistaken, this is a "competitive" vehicle to be used for "passing RV's, motorcycles, and other plebian forms of transportation".

That's cooler than a muddy mountain bike.
Cooler? Perhaps. But riding a mountain bike is way more fun!
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Fixinatedness.

That too!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 23, 2010, 12:17 AM

Really torn. Want to drop it.. but on the other hand, it's really handy being so high up for driving on 4x4 trails in Colorado, to shortcut mountains through dirt/mud/rock passes. Hrm.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 23, 2010, 09:54 AM

Airbags.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Airbags.
Ummm. Ok, if you insist.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2010, 12:55 PM

Ummm. Ok, if you insist.
I thought they used silicon not air?

Should a gay guy really know that better than a straight man?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2010, 01:31 PM

They look real to me.

Allow me to introduce you to some boobie slang sometime. Not today (since I'm busy), but sometime.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 23, 2010, 01:32 PM

I think the term is in reference to the fact that those could conceivably protect the owner in a car accident.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Really torn. Want to drop it.. but on the other hand, it's really handy being so high up for driving on 4x4 trails in Colorado, to shortcut mountains through dirt/mud/rock passes. Hrm.
I would keep it as is. Ground clearance can be useful.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2010, 02:41 PM

The rims are bad enough.

Making it not only ugly, but useless, would really be pushing it IMO.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2010, 02:55 PM

Rob ricing up his shitbox appears to show the distinct separation between US and Euro buying styles - something which I've been mulling over for a while. Here in Europe, we'll buy something and generally leave as is (exceptions, obviously). While in the US, you'll buy something then tinker with it endlessly (exceptions, obviously). Which is why there's no UK version of "Home Improvement".

This has appeared to impact the quality of product, with US companies almost expecting you to improve whatever it is they sell to you, thus leaving it almost part-finished. Sort of like a "they'll finish this at home to their own specs" sort of attitude.

Accurate? I'm just musing, don't know whether this thought holds true.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2010, 03:00 PM

Rob ricing up his shitbox appears to show the distinct separation between US and Euro buying styles - something which I've been mulling over for a while. Here in Europe, we'll buy something and generally leave as is (exceptions, obviously). While in the US, you'll buy something then tinker with it endlessly (exceptions, obviously). Which is why there's no UK version of "Home Improvement".

This has appeared to impact the quality of product, with US companies almost expecting you to improve whatever it is they sell to you, thus leaving it almost part-finished. Sort of like a "they'll finish this at home to their own specs" sort of attitude.

No, you've got the stereotype correct I guess, but reality is the opposite. Most Americans would freak out if they had to do anything under the hood.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2010, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
No, you've got the stereotype correct I guess, but reality is the opposite. Most Americans would freak out if they had to do anything under the hood.
Who said anything about under the hood?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2010, 03:15 PM

Just an observation really. A few years back I bought six guitars, all identical. Japanese manufactured, four bought in Europe, two bought in the US. Both US ones are shite (flawed routing around the middle pickup), while the Euro ones are perfect. This suggested to me that the quality control was, for some reason, less functional in the US so the Japanese company was directing lesser models to sales outlets there.

Since then, I've noticed a lower quality in other US goods too - sort of a "lower quality but would be good if you finished it off yourself" kind of thing. Odd.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2010, 03:35 PM

Dude. You have heard of the Great British Shed, right? What do you think happens in there?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2010, 03:36 PM

Well lower quality is perhaps correct, but as far as them being lower quality so that Americans can do their own thing isn't correct.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2010, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Dude. You have heard of the Great British Shed, right? What do you think happens in there?
Distillation. And no nagging.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2010, 04:20 PM

I don't know whether the proportions are actually different.

We definitely have total proles here in Germany, as well.

They're not the majority, but they're visible enough that the epitome of prole car tuner - the Opel Manta driver - spawned an entire genre of jokes (many of the punchlines interchangeable with blonde jokes) and a handful of extremely successful movies:
Manta, Manta (1991)
Manta - Der Film (1991)
Originally Posted by IMDB
[The Opel Manta] gained cult status which peaked during this time period. Drivers could be identified by their Mullets, slick stone washed jeans, cowboy boots (best worn OVER the jeans), raccoon tails on the antenna, lowered chassis and -do not forget- hairdressers as girlfriends.
I thought it was pretty hilarious that Rob mentioned a few months back that he'd love to own one (IIRC, his grandad had one).

(Mind, Rob's image of the Manta was an A-model, which was indeed pretty bad-ass and rather more difficult to stupidify with lame mullet-modding of the 80s)

Railroader
Banned
Mar 23, 2010, 07:09 PM

Just an observation really. A few years back I bought six guitars, all identical. Japanese manufactured, four bought in Europe, two bought in the US. Both US ones are shite (flawed routing around the middle pickup), while the Euro ones are perfect. This suggested to me that the quality control was, for some reason, less functional in the US so the Japanese company was directing lesser models to sales outlets there.

Since then, I've noticed a lower quality in other US goods too - sort of a "lower quality but would be good if you finished it off yourself" kind of thing. Odd.
I don't do a thing to my cars. Even keep the stock stereos. I do buy them with a bit more options than the average customer, but I'd rather tinker with some woodworking or photography.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2010, 08:00 PM

Hmmm. Must be just my perception then. Odd.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2010, 08:37 PM

Allow me to introduce you to some boobie slang sometime. Not today (since I'm busy), but sometime.
Hey check out airbag tits?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2010, 08:54 PM

Hey check out airbag tits?
It's a straight thing, you wouldn't understand.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2010, 10:20 PM

Hmmm. Must be just my perception then. Odd.
I've noticed it correlates closely with poverty.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2010, 10:24 PM

Ha ha. Reminds me of an old Saturn SL2 I saw yesterday in the bad part of town. Had a huge spoiler, exhaust, and some sort of Japanese Type-R script on it. I nearly wet myself laughing. Wish I got a picture.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 23, 2010, 11:30 PM

Airbags.
Definitely considering it. My roommate picked up an air ride setup for his IS300... I'll see how that rides/handles and then make a decision.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 23, 2010, 11:52 PM

How is a one of 300 turbo AWD 5spd S6 wagon a shitbox? It cost $50,000 new, and hast a better interior/better performance than most things on the road today. ???

I modify things to reflect my personal style, have fun, and go faster (or brake harder or turn harder which I guess is just having more fun anyway). It's fun to out do something newer for a lot less money.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2010, 11:53 PM

Definitely considering it. My roommate picked up an air ride setup for his IS300... I'll see how that rides/handles and then make a decision.
How much weight would that add?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2010, 12:11 AM

How is a one of 300 turbo AWD 5spd S6 wagon a shitbox? It cost $50,000 new, and hast a better interior/better performance than most things on the road today. ???
I live a few miles away from the Bentley factory. Local turn of phrase.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 24, 2010, 12:20 AM

How much weight would that add?
Dunno. It has cylinders instead of bags. Also a few air lines, an air tank, and a compressor... that's basically it. What I'm more worried about is that with air ride you get adjustable spring rates, basically... and when the car is low due to less air, the cylinder has less air in it, thus being an even SOFTER spring rate than normal.

Thus... it'll handle like total shit when low.... and possibly bottom out even more often due to low spring rates... or you jack it up, and it handles awesome; the harder you turn, the more the cylinder is compressed= higher the spring rate.

I don't know. I'll let him be a guinea pig.

Rumor
Mar 24, 2010, 12:27 AM

I modify things to reflect my personal style, have fun, and go faster (or brake harder or turn harder which I guess is just having more fun anyway). It's fun to out do something newer for a lot less money.
Meh, my 91 Miata would drive circles around your Audi wagon.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2010, 12:30 AM

A '91 Miata drives circles around anything except maybe an Elise.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2010, 12:31 AM

Dunno. It has cylinders instead of bags. Also a few air lines, an air tank, and a compressor... that's basically it. What I'm more worried about is that with air ride you get adjustable spring rates, basically... and when the car is low due to less air, the cylinder has less air in it, thus being an even SOFTER spring rate than normal.

Thus... it'll handle like total shit when low.... and possibly bottom out even more often due to low spring rates... or you jack it up, and it handles awesome; the harder you turn, the more the cylinder is compressed= higher the spring rate.

I don't know. I'll let him be a guinea pig.
I see. That's not a desirable effect then. Put some Delphi shocks on it from the R8

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 24, 2010, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Meh, my 91 Miata would drive circles around your Audi wagon.
Meh, my 4ws Prelude would drive circles around your Miata.

Car Lust: 1988-1991 Honda Prelude 4WS

Rumor
Mar 24, 2010, 01:19 AM

Highly doubtful. That thing is almost 1000 lbs heavier, less HP, less torque, and the weight distribution isn't good either.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 24, 2010, 01:19 AM

A '91 Miata drives circles around anything except maybe an Elise.
Or 1st generation Dodge Neons.

YouTube - Waterford Hills - 5/3/2008 Spec Neon Class Race Part 1

Rumor
Mar 24, 2010, 01:36 AM

Maybe a Neon SRT-4, the rest weren't that great unless you dropped a good amount of time/money into them.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 24, 2010, 01:46 AM

Highly doubtful. That thing is almost 1000 lbs heavier, less HP, less torque, and the weight distribution isn't good either.
I said drive circles around. Turning radius of my prelude is 31.5ft.

But now that you mention it.....

( not sure what the hell you looked up) here's the specs (updating as I go):

------------------- MX5:--------------3g Prelude 4ws:
weight:-------------- 2100lbs--------------2685lbs
hp:------------------120hp-----------------135hp
tq:------------------100ftlbs-----------------133ftlbs
cd:------------------.38----------------------.34
0-60----------------9.4 seconds --------------9.1 seconds
60-0----------------137ft---------------- 140ft
1/4 mile:-------------17.0 @ 81MPH-----------16.8@83mph
Top Speed:-------------112mph---------------127mph
700 ft slalom-------------62.4mph--------------65.5mph
( Last edited by downinflames68; Mar 24, 2010 at 02:17 AM. )

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 24, 2010, 02:18 AM

Miatas are competent cars compared to Camrys, but I've seen neons beat them at autox and road racing for quite some time, and ... well... the lude stats speak for themselves.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 24, 2010, 02:21 AM

Maybe a Neon SRT-4, the rest weren't that great unless you dropped a good amount of time/money into them.
Um. K. That neon is basically stock. It's a spec racing neon. Going up against Spec racing miatas. You really don't know what you are talking about, but I'm glad you bought a car that is at least interesting. Maybe in a few years you'll have absorbed some of my knowledge.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2010, 06:27 AM

I live a few miles away from the Bentley factory. Local turn of phrase.
I very nearly bought an old Bentley once, when I lived in London. 1964 Model, immaculate, GBP 8000.00. It was parked in the parking garage of the office/condo building I was working in and the owner just wanted it to go to a good home. I was in my twenties, this would have been the coolest car ever.

I did all the research, got in touch with the Bentley owners club to find a place that would service it without it costing an arm and a leg - surprisingly affordable - and checked the price of spares. In the end the only reason I didn't buy it was that I lived in the East End and had no access to garage parking anywhere and it would have been a shame to have that old beauty vandalized.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2010, 07:17 AM

I very nearly bought an old Bentley once, when I lived in London. 1964 Model, immaculate, GBP 8000.00. It was parked in the parking garage of the office/condo building I was working in and the owner just wanted it to go to a good home. I was in my twenties, this would have been the coolest car ever.
Proper fanny magnet.
Would have supped a bit though!

I did all the research, got in touch with the Bentley owners club to find a place that would service it without it costing an arm and a leg - surprisingly affordable
I know. I get my motors serviced at a Bentley/Aston place - I figured that if the owner of a 1920 Bentley trusts them with his car, I can trust 'em with lesser steeds. Pretty much the best mechanics around and astonishingly reasonable on prices.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 24, 2010, 04:21 PM

I've noticed it correlates closely with poverty.
True that. I've never known anyone with true wealth to dick around and mod their cars.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
True that. I've never known anyone with true wealth to dick around and mod their cars.
Lemme introduce you to Mansory.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2010, 04:58 PM

That's paying someone else to do it though, ain't it?

I can't see the point in Mansory though - at least not for half the models they mod - Bentley and Aston, for example, will do any mod you like in house.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2010, 05:02 PM

Oh, right. Well it looks like something you've done in a shed anyway.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 24, 2010, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Actually, now that I think about it, I haven't even seen many people in the middle class do this kind of stuff either.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2010, 07:41 PM

I can't see the point in Mansory though

Beautiful cars, screwed up. Why on earth would anybody even want to go there?

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 24, 2010, 09:41 PM

Why would you NOT want to mod a car? Oh, because you most likely bought a boring piece of shit that would never be cool no matter what you did. Got it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules