Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Crash on wake

Crash on wake
cms
Senior User
Mar 17, 2003, 12:56 PM

Anyone else have this problem? My daughter has an old-style G3 iMac (DVD 500) and in the last couple of days, it (sometimes) crashes when it wakes from sleep. Completely black screen and won't respond to anything. Only solution is to unplug the power cable, then plug it back in again. I run fsck on reboot, it finds an orphaned node which it repairs and all seems well again.

Until the next time........

It's running 10.2.3 and had run with absolutely no problems until Saturday. It's just happened again, following my daughter's return from school, which is why I'm prompted to make this post.

I also have a flat-screen iMac (800 Superdrive) and a G3 700 iBook, both running 10.2.4. Neither of them have this problem, which makes me think it might be specific to 10.2.3. However, it's truly a new phenomenon, only just started happening in the last couple of days, and I haven't installed any new software or done anything else different.....

Except for changing broadband ISPs.

I recently switched from an ADSL 512 service to a cable i meg service. The G3 iMac uses an Airport card to share the broadband connection with other computers in the house via the iMac 800 Superdrive. I can only assume that it is a coincidence that the crash on waking from sleep problem has only just started to occur. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2003, 01:17 PM

I had my first hard freeze after a wake from sleep running 10.2.4 on my dual 867. The mouse never even lit up. Nothing has changed, and I never reboot unless I have too. The only thing I did, the day before, that I don't do often is share my USB printer.

cms  (op)
Senior User
Mar 26, 2003, 09:12 AM

I updated the operating system software to 10.2.4 and the problem has gone away (touch wood).

While I am of course delighted that it appears to be solved, I am rather mystified as to its cause. It didn't happen always (about one time in every 10) and seemed to be a completely random problem that came out of nowhere and, just as mysteriously, has disappeared. I can only assume that upgrading to 10.2.4 ironed out the glitch, whatever that was.

Still, I'd be really interested to know if anyone else has experienced this as a recurring problem and what, if any conclusions they might have come to with regard to its (probable) cause.

Thanks!

sniffer
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2003, 11:31 AM

I've also noticed sleep issues. I don't know, but it seems to be a connection with going off and on battery and power adapter in my case. Hard to say. We can only hope os ten matures more down the road..

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2003, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by cms:
Anyone else have this problem? My daughter has an old-style G3 iMac (DVD 500) and in the last couple of days, it (sometimes) crashes when it wakes from sleep. Completely black screen and won't respond to anything. Only solution is to unplug the power cable, then plug it back in again. I run fsck on reboot, it finds an orphaned node which it repairs and all seems well again.
Have you tried holding down the power button for several seconds?

Until the next time........

It's running 10.2.3 and had run with absolutely no problems until Saturday. It's just happened again, following my daughter's return from school, which is why I'm prompted to make this post.

I also have a flat-screen iMac (800 Superdrive) and a G3 700 iBook, both running 10.2.4. Neither of them have this problem, which makes me think it might be specific to 10.2.3. However, it's truly a new phenomenon, only just started happening in the last couple of days, and I haven't installed any new software or done anything else different.....

Except for changing broadband ISPs.

I recently switched from an ADSL 512 service to a cable i meg service. The G3 iMac uses an Airport card to share the broadband connection with other computers in the house via the iMac 800 Superdrive. I can only assume that it is a coincidence that the crash on waking from sleep problem has only just started to occur. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!
I used to have this problem with my G3 iMac. After a while, it went away on its own. Strange.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2003, 01:19 AM

Mine occasionally shuts down instead of waking up. It's really annoying.

Dan D.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2003, 03:39 PM

This is the exact problem I have been having with my 350Mhz iMac for the past two weeks. I have 10.2.4 installed, and I have been getting this restart screen every time I try to wake the computer. The last major event I can recall before this started happening was installing the latest security update through system updater. I tried reinstalling the 10.2.4 update but that did nothing, and of course the system installer won't let me install 10.2 over the new version, only a clean reinstall. I tried installing 10.2 and the 10.2.4 update on an empty partition, and there were no problems.

I'm happy to hear that is problem has cured itself for most people, but no such luck for me yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I really do not want to have to do a complete clean reinstall.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2003, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by Dan D.:
This is the exact problem I have been having with my 350Mhz iMac for the past two weeks. I have 10.2.4 installed, and I have been getting this restart screen every time I try to wake the computer. The last major event I can recall before this started happening was installing the latest security update through system updater. I tried reinstalling the 10.2.4 update but that did nothing, and of course the system installer won't let me install 10.2 over the new version, only a clean reinstall. I tried installing 10.2 and the 10.2.4 update on an empty partition, and there were no problems.

I'm happy to hear that is problem has cured itself for most people, but no such luck for me yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I really do not want to have to do a complete clean reinstall.
That's close to what I'm getting, but it isn't quite the same. When mine messes up (I have a dual 867 MHz PowerMac), the fan spins down and the power light goes off. I also get kernel panics, and the occasional freeze.

Dan D.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2003, 04:03 PM

I found another tread on this from a couple of weeks ago. It definitely seems to be a kernel panic, but still no explanation.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...=sleep+restart

Forum Links
Forum Rules