Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > UFO's 'n Stuff

UFO's 'n Stuff (Page 2)
tutelary
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2007, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Stop playing stupid.!! A craft that can fly across the galaxy and built to withstand gamma radiation and interstellar crap flying around at thousands of miles an hour with an intellect or knowledge of the universe FAR superior to ours is NOT going to freakin' crash because of some damn birds. That's like saying a cruiseship would sink if it hit some fish.
Or building a cruise ship that would sink if it hit an iceberg. Oh wait...

**** happens. The universe doesnt play fair. Saying "it cant happen" is entirely stupid. Somewhere, someones civilization is spinning around the outer edge of a black hole. Seem fair to you?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2007, 07:38 PM

You're looking at the wrong way buddy. Right now, space is still 'dangerous' for us. Our technology isn't very up to snuff, we only made it to the moon a few times, and it's still very very risky to launch people into space, just out of the atmosphere. We can't even TRAVEL in outerspace, because we have no way to freeze people, or clone them, whatever. By the time we can actually travel to other galaxies, I"M SURE that the technology would have advanced far enough so that birds/weather won't be a freakin' problem.
No, you're looking at it the wrong way. You're taking one tiny little example (birds flying into a space alien's ship causing it to crash) and making that an entire argument for advanced technology and its relation to strange environments that could cause problems. You are saying that just because something can do one thing (fly through space avoiding all the perils of space) that means that it MUST be able to withstand everything else that is thrown at it, no matter how mundane we think it is.

I'm not talking about birds. I'm talking about an overall argument you are presenting. Its already been stated in this thread that advancements in technology doesn't automatically eliminate all dangers to said device. So saying that just because an alien craft can make it to our planet, its automatically safe from any and all things is silly. You can just use examples from our own advanced technologies we have today, and it will show you that sometimes what may seem like a stupid little thing can bring down a highly advanced piece of technology. And many times, that stupid little thing simply wasn't thought about until it happens.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2007, 07:42 PM

Stop playing stupid.!! A craft that can fly across the galaxy and built to withstand gamma radiation and interstellar crap flying around at thousands of miles an hour with an intellect or knowledge of the universe FAR superior to ours is NOT going to freakin' crash because of some damn birds. That's like saying a cruiseship would sink if it hit some fish.
Actually, a cruise ship can sink if it hits a big enough fish (or mammal if you prefer).

And who's to say that these supposed spacecraft that has crash landed on our planet isn't a tiny little thing the size of a softball or something? Who's to say that these aliens aren't 1/10 our size? And who's to say that these aliens knew all of the perils of our planet before they got here? No one. No one knows. But what we do know is that nothing is perfect. Nothing is impervious to the universe.

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Mar 27, 2007, 08:02 PM

Some of you are forgetting that the Titanic didn't have on-board computers, no A.I., no satnav, nothing. It was a manually navigated ship. A spaceship with technology generations ahead of what we know today would have such a powerful computer system that would be unimaginably intelligent, probably classifiable as a Godputer, that could calculate everything that could happen to it well in advance by constantly analysing speed, location, environment, time and all sorts of other factors. It would be self-aware and probably capable of sub-atomic communication across millions of light years in real time (which in some ways means it can communicate with the past). You might want to draw comparison with HAL-9000 except that was a fiction theorising that the computer might make a wrong prediction. HAL-9000 wasn't near as powerful as what an intergalactic travelling species could create anyway. Their computers would own them. Aliens would be less pilots and more like slaves used for cleaning the floor.

That's another reason crashed UFOs with dead alien bodies are bunk. An advanced race wouldn't need to send living people when their computers and robots would be more than powerful enough to do everything.
Web dev, Poe, faux-naïf, keyboard warrior, often found imitating online contrarians . My stuff : DELL XPS, iPhone 6

tutelary
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2007, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Aron Peterson View Post
Some of you are forgetting that the Titanic didn't have on-board computers, no A.I., no satnav, nothing. It was a manually navigated ship. A spaceship with technology generations ahead of what we know today would have such a powerful computer system that would be unimaginably intelligent, probably classifiable as a Godputer, that could calculate everything that could happen to it well in advance by constantly analysing speed, location, environment, time and all sorts of other factors. It would be self-aware and probably capable of sub-atomic communication across millions of light years in real time (which in some ways means it can communicate with the past). You might want to draw comparison with HAL-9000 except that was a fiction theorising that the computer might make a wrong prediction. HAL-9000 wasn't near as powerful as what an intergalactic travelling species could create anyway. Their computers would own them. Aliens would be less pilots and more like slaves used for cleaning the floor.

That's another reason crashed UFOs with dead alien bodies are bunk. An advanced race wouldn't need to send living people when their computers and robots would be more than powerful enough to do everything.
more pseudo science from the peanut gallery.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 27, 2007, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by tutelary View Post
Or building a cruise ship that would sink if it hit an iceberg. Oh wait...
Or bringing up an example from 1912, almost 100 years ago. Seems to me that big ships don't really sink because of iceburgs anymore, but hey, maybe you can bring up an example from 1800 and prove me right.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2007, 08:15 PM

This is the kind of stuff that happens when people watch too much television.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 27, 2007, 08:15 PM

I'm pretty sure that it could see the weather on earth too, and not fly straight into a storm. Or, if there was a storm, it could stay above it, go somewhere else, and then go back down in altitude.

The notion of an intersteller craft going all the way across the galaxy and then flying into a thunderstorm on earth because the aliens are too dumb to realize it's a storm, or hit a flock of birds, is just retarded, and it's thoughts like this that probably keep the aliens from coming into contact with us, if there are any.... human kind is just obviously not advanced enough to deal with a whole new intelligent being if they can't even grasp basic things like this subject itself.

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Mar 27, 2007, 08:16 PM

Send directions
( Last edited by Aron Peterson; Oct 5, 2014 at 06:38 PM. )
Web dev, Poe, faux-naïf, keyboard warrior, often found imitating online contrarians . My stuff : DELL XPS, iPhone 6

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2007, 08:17 PM

missed the point rob, but that's okay.

alex

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2007, 08:25 PM

Easy there Galileo. Neither you nor any of the proponents of this ET theory have any unbiased scientific proof of your claims. It seems the people who believe there are little aliens in spaceships flying over our heads feel that MY statements are outlandish yet all they can offer up is garbage accounts of people seeing random crap in the sky.

Having seen what I absolutely and firmly believe to be alien craft I dont worry about the "maybe we have been visited" part, I am secure in the knowledge its already happening. The rest of you can believe what you want.
Yes, clearly that helps your argument.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2007, 08:28 PM

Spaceships with ejector seats? WTF? Where's it going to eject to? Space? So a teleporter is scientifically possible because we saw it on star trek?

Lets pretend such teleporting machine is possible. You mean if they can teleport anywhere, why would they need a spaceship to fly to Earth. If they can build a teleporter, the can also make themselves invisible. They can make themselves invisible and teleport here you know and then teleport back home before dinner.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

tutelary
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2007, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Easy there Galileo. Neither you nor any of the proponents of this ET theory have any unbiased scientific proof of your claims. It seems the people who believe there are little aliens in spaceships flying over our heads feel that MY statements are outlandish yet all they can offer up is garbage accounts of people seeing random crap in the sky.

Yes, clearly that helps your argument.
Have you ever even watched the disclosure project video? A slew of people with top secret and above clearance level, all saying the same thing over and over again: they do exist.
The Mexican goverment admitted it thinks alien craft exist, as has Russia. France isn't far behind with its "we don't know what the hell is going on with this 20% of cases". Yet you don't believe because you think it makes you somehow intellectually superior.

Then you have any huge number of documented sightings with video, cameras, etc, which the non-believers simply crap on. You cant have it both ways. You deny all the evidence that IS out there.

As for it "clearly helping my arguement" why would it not? I'm an air force brat, I grew up on military bases across the country. I know what planes can and cannot do in the air, and when you have seen what I have, there is a very clear difference.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2007, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Lets pretend such teleporting machine is possible. You mean if they can teleport anywhere, why would they need a spaceship to fly to Earth.
so that they can put the receiving gate here? one on mars or wherever they enter, and the other to step out of??

heh:
side thought: star trek thinking = you would be right. yet, SG1 thinking = i would be right.

alex

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2007, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock View Post
so that they can put the receiving gate here? one on mars or wherever they enter, and the other to step out of??

alex
Yeah, a teleporter would require a least a receiving gate like the stargate. It would work like a modem.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2007, 08:58 PM

So, do y'all reckon ET blings up his spaceship or what? Is it his own ship to bling up, or does it belong to some kind of ET military organisation which won't let him do stuff like that 'coz they're all boring and rigid and stuff? If he's in the military, does his captain let him make non-standard blinged-up ships like the Delta Flyer? Does he tune up the warp conduits so they emit just the right frequency of background noise (you've seen Trek, you know what I'm talking about) so that it impresses the ETettes? Do ya reckon they're smarter than us and use redundant warp cores so they don't have to panic when they need to eject one?

These are important questions. This is a serious thread.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2007, 09:18 PM

Speaking of ejector seats, why don't trains have freaking ejector seats?!!! Hell, at least give us airbags.

I was on the bus just the other day, and I didn't even get a seat. I have to hold onto this metal pipe that they called handrails.

tutelary
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2007, 10:02 PM

Or bringing up an example from 1912, almost 100 years ago. Seems to me that big ships don't really sink because of iceburgs anymore, but hey, maybe you can bring up an example from 1800 and prove me right.
Like oil tankers running aground?
You Lose.

Now you'll try to tell me that oil tankers somehow 'don't qualify', when they are in fact some of the most heavily computerized ships on the planet, most of the time with extensive global positioning systems.

Again: You Lose.
( Last edited by tutelary; Mar 27, 2007 at 10:11 PM. )

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 28, 2007, 01:06 AM

When did an oil tanker run aground?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2007, 03:34 AM

BBC ON THIS DAY | 5 | 1993: Oil tanker runs aground off Shetland

Gibraltar News Online � Blog Archive � Oil Tanker runs aground off Europa Point Gibraltar

Planet Ark : Oil tanker aground in Danish waters set afloat

also see here for more information: Oil spill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

would you like more? or is that enough for your years reading??

alex

oh, and two more things:

1) google is your friend
2) it's rtard, damn it!
( Last edited by brassplayersrock²; Mar 28, 2007 at 03:52 AM. )

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Mar 28, 2007, 04:38 AM

Have you ever even watched the disclosure project video? A slew of people with top secret and above clearance level, all saying the same thing over and over again: they do exist.
Those people are retired and need cash. They use their previous positions to make money out of a gullible public who will pay to hear them speak or buy their UFO books.

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Mar 28, 2007, 04:40 AM

Like oil tankers running aground?
You Lose.

Now you'll try to tell me that oil tankers somehow 'don't qualify', when they are in fact some of the most heavily computerized ships on the planet, most of the time with extensive global positioning systems.
They are still pretty damn jurassic compared to the technology an advanced space travelling species would use.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2007, 05:02 AM

Aliens on UFO's do not have seat ejectors because they haven't invented parachutes. DUH!

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2007, 05:18 AM

but they have anal probes and ray guns!!! the first of the two I am more worried about!!

alex

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2007, 05:24 AM

Anal probes? Those are use to explore the other rims of uranus.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2007, 05:34 AM

well, i haven't been to the gym for a couple weeks.......

alex

Grimwood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2007, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
So, do y'all reckon ET blings up his spaceship or what?

wolfen  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2007, 09:44 AM

Those people are retired and need cash. They use their previous positions to make money out of a gullible public who will pay to hear them speak or buy their UFO books.
It's clear that you haven't made any effort to inform yourself about the video, the NON PROFIT organization behind it, or anything else. You're spouting uninformed opinion to try and have all the answers. Your confusion is transparent.

And no, you can't buy a vowel.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

red rocket
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2007, 09:52 AM

For what it's worth, I think it unlikely that any UFOs crashing into this planet would have travelled light years by themselves. Rather, they'd be landing/exploratory vessels attached to the mothership hidden in orbit, interspace, or behind the moon, for instance. As such, they wouldn't even need to be particularly advanced, just good enough to survive entry and exit into the planet's atmosphere. The crashed UFOs could have been piloted by alien rookies or traitors, for all we know there could be billions flying around without crashing.

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Mar 28, 2007, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
It's clear that you haven't made any effort to inform yourself about the video, the NON PROFIT organization behind it, or anything else. You're spouting uninformed opinion to try and have all the answers. Your confusion is transparent.
The organization might be non profit but the in-duh-viduals aren't. Screw them and their crashed UFOs and aliens. They're no different to people centuries ago who claimed they were visited by witches and angels. The mythos has simply updated with the technology around us. If the Roswell story had started today instead of 1940s you can bet your life the witness would tint their story with updated knowledge of where technology is going. They'd say the aliens wore black PVC and leather suits straight out of X-Men. Their spaceships would have storage mechanisms, computers with CPUs, holographic storage, wireless transmission systems, operating systems and all that stuff that didn't exist in '47.

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Mar 28, 2007, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by red rocket View Post
The crashed UFOs could have been piloted by alien rookies
Only back then could witnesses have spoken of alien pilots because they hadn't even begun to imagine how far artificial intelligence would go. If someone really wanted to put together a good story they'd say 'No pilots. The spacecraft was a living thing made of metal'.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2007, 10:19 AM

Here's a picture my Dad took in South Texas back in the mid 60's:

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2007, 10:21 AM

Hm... what thread did we photoshop the hell out of that in?

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Mar 28, 2007, 10:46 AM

I think a lot of the non belief comes from the fact that if Aliens are vastly more intelligent than us, then we could not fathom their potential or accomplishments.

We as a species cannot even travel to the planets in our solar system, let alone another galaxy. How the hell are we supposed to understand humanoid travel in light years? If we can't figure it out, then it must not be true. Its impossible. The ignorance of man.

Not to mention, why the hell would Aliens want to share their technology with us? We kill our own kind in massive amounts, we kill other species for sport, and we kill our own planet. We are a virus, and to any outside life form, we might as well be exterminated.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Mar 28, 2007, 10:47 AM

sorry, double post.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2007, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz View Post
sorry, double post.
Apology accepted.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2007, 10:49 AM

Looks like the planet Venus to me....

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Mar 28, 2007, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Apology accepted.

Here's a question to ponder:

If we could prove that Aliens do exist (close encounter of the 3rd kind - Witness the humanoid), then what would we do about it?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2007, 10:58 AM

"If you come in peace, surrender or be destroyed. If you're here to make war, we surrender."

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Mar 28, 2007, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Here's a picture my Dad took in South Texas back in the mid 60's:

Tell your dad that my dad wants his hubcap back!

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2007, 11:35 AM

for those who don't believe Aliens would put much effort with traveling across the stars just to studying primitive species like ourselves.. think about what we do.

We send probes millions of miles to Mars to study dirt and take pictures. We send humans to the moon for whatever reason. We send long range space probes to the ends of our galaxy sending out hello messages in desperate hope someone will find it and make their way here.

It costs us time, money, lives, effort.

Now imagine in 200 years when we have better spaceships if we found a planet that we could get to in a reasonable time with primitive life on it. We would spend an enormous amount of time and money to learn everything we know about it for years and years.

Heck we do it now with animals on our own planet.

I think it is safe to assume that on some level we are interesting enough for a superior species to study/watch us to some degree.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2007, 11:39 AM

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Mar 28, 2007, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I think it is safe to assume that on some level we are interesting enough for a superior species to study/watch us to some degree.
SETI ain't picking up sh!t! Not even radiation bursts (unavoidable at any level of high technology) which would occur if any spaceship could use wormholes or warp speeds. None of our observatories have picked up on anything - no radiation, no communications, no alien torrent file sharing, nada! This corner of the universe is belong to us!

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Mar 28, 2007, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
for those who don't believe Aliens would put much effort with traveling across the stars just to studying primitive species like ourselves.. think about what we do.

We send probes millions of miles to Mars to study dirt and take pictures. We send humans to the moon for whatever reason. We send long range space probes to the ends of our galaxy sending out hello messages in desperate hope someone will find it and make their way here.

It costs us time, money, lives, effort.

Now imagine in 200 years when we have better spaceships if we found a planet that we could get to in a reasonable time with primitive life on it. We would spend an enormous amount of time and money to learn everything we know about it for years and years.

Heck we do it now with animals on our own planet.

Anyone ever play the Star Ocean games? They travel through space visiting many planets, some developed, some under developed. The ones that are underdeveloped are not to be disturbed under the "Underdeveloped Planet Act". It means they cannot disrupt the natural evolution of the planet and its inhabitants.

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Mar 28, 2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz View Post
Anyone ever play the Star Ocean games? They travel through space visiting many planets, some developed, some under developed. The ones that are underdeveloped are not to be disturbed under the "Underdeveloped Planet Act". It means they cannot disrupt the natural evolution of the planet and its inhabitants.
So they just sit back and watch wars, disasters and starvation when they could just land and change everything, like show inhabitants the way to create the pinnacle of civilisation and make allies out of them? Makes no sense.

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Mar 28, 2007, 01:13 PM

A lot of them are at a primitive level such as Medieval Earth. Coming to a planet like that with technology as advanced as space travel would destroy the evolution of that species.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2007, 01:20 PM

So they just sit back and watch wars, disasters and starvation when they could just land and change everything, like show inhabitants the way to create the pinnacle of civilisation and make allies out of them? Makes no sense.
Yeah. They should invade and set up an enlightened regime to guide the poor misguided primitives into the light. It's working ever so well in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Mark Larr
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2007, 01:25 PM

If any advanced instellar aliens have visited here, they most certainly would have nuked us into extinction immediately.
Shut up and eat your paisley.

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Mar 28, 2007, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Yeah. They should invade and set up an enlightened regime to guide the poor misguided primitives into the light. It's working ever so well in Afghanistan and Iraq.
That analogy doesn't work. Afghanistan and Iraq is about power struggles and economics within the same species. If aliens landed in Afghanistan it would be so incredible every Taleban would forget his opium pipe and whose head to cut off next. I aliens landed in the US or UK we'd be going "I hope this means we're going to have awesome consoles next year." If aliens landed in France the French would be saying "This isn't fair. This isn't right. We are the best. We are so great."

It's hard to deal with the French I must admit.

wolfen  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2007, 01:52 PM

Now you're an alien psychologist?

Please...enlighten us about the philosophy and motivation of a highly advanced interstellar civilization.

And do you believe that if we encountered benevolent aliens that human nature would come to an end, there would be no religious disagreements, no greedy competition for resources, and the world would hold hands and sing Kum Bah Yah together? I'm of the opinion things would go on as they are. The nations would scream "Gimme Gimme," the christians would want to convert them, the muslims would wanna kill them, and the Israelis would still refuse to delineate their borders.

Everything would be the same only the Earth would be courting the new sugardaddy in town. And maybe that's the point: why provide anything to a hostile, violent, unhealthy species? So they can engineer more destructive weapons? To inform them of new and exciting targets to bomb in exotic worlds far away?

History (and the 6 o'clock news) will demonstrate that you overestimate the human race.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Forum Links
Forum Rules