Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > refurbished macbook pro

refurbished macbook pro
tiger
Forum Regular
May 26, 2008, 01:52 AM

I bought a refurbished macbook pro that turned out to have bad pixels..

after some time on the phone with apple... I got them to send me a replacement

had anyone had any experience with refurbished apple products? and what are the chanced of the replacement being defective as well?

elx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2008, 02:48 AM

I got my refurb 2.2ghz pro last January. There was a small scratch on the case but otherwise it works well. Apple refurbs are generally regarded to be more reliable than refurbs of other manufacturers. Just bad luck in my opinion. Hope you do get a working one next time.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2008, 11:44 AM

Refurbs are usually quite good, because someone has actually looked at what's wrong with the machine after it was returned and fixed it.

Originally Posted by elx View Post
Apple refurbs are generally regarded to be more reliable than refurbs of other manufacturers.
What manufacturer's refurbs have a reputation for poorer reliability?

elx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2008, 12:13 PM

I'm not saying that they have poorer reliability, I just hear more complaints about it since there are more of them. Since most people I talk to say that their refurbs are a good deal, the downside most of them say are mostly aesthetic like scratches.

To the OP, from what I've been told from time to time, refurbs are more likely to be units that were sent back before the return deadline.

tiger  (op)
Forum Regular
May 26, 2008, 12:42 PM

my macbook pro was actually in perfect aesthetic condition, but it had some hardware problems out of the box... if they look at it before they send it out again... why don't they correct the flaws?

Chinasaur
Senior User
May 26, 2008, 01:48 PM

A refurb doesn't mean it had defects when it was returned. It might have been returned simply because the buyer changed their mind. The unit is inspected (maybe loosely, maybe not), cleans and re-packages the unit. I've purchased three refurb'd iMacs over the last 3 years and none of them had anything wrong on delivery. The vast majority of Apple refurb buyers are completely satisfied with their computers, as well as with saving 10-25% off retail.

Luck!
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

tiger  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2008, 10:33 PM

Just an update.

Apple has replaced my refurbished macbook pro, and this time its completely flawless!

I'm really happy with it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules