Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > macbook pro graphics freeze

macbook pro graphics freeze
tiger
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2008, 01:24 AM

I want to know if anyone else is experiencing this... and if anyone knows a way to solve it.

I have a macbook pro 2.4ghz 2gb ram 256 nvidia 8600m GT

The computer just locks up, sometimes all I can do is move the mouse but nothing else and other times its just completely locks up and nothing is responsive, not even caps locks key.

What I notice is that when this happens, it seems like the computer just powers down, the fans stop spinning, everything stops but its still on... doing nothing. I have to manually shut it down by pressing and holding the power button.

I don't know what it is other than noticing a pattern that it happens when I am using the graphics card more than the usual... like opening up a game would freeze it up.

I also noticed that under windows, the problem doesn't occur, I can play games without a problem.

Thanks.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2008, 01:37 AM

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

tiger  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2008, 02:12 AM

Yeah I saw that threat but that seems to have been corrected in a graphics updates, my computer was after that incident... and I tried to install the update from apple but it said my computer didn't need it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2008, 02:44 AM

So the fans spin down and the screen blanks? That's unusual and highly problematic. Have you run a hardware test?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

tiger  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2008, 05:37 PM

yeah, the screen doesn't go blank it just stays in a freeze mode... for example if the clock is a 2 pm, it will stay there and not change... indefinitely until i force it to power down

it is highly problematic...

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Aug 12, 2008, 02:59 PM

If you never had the problem before the Leopard Graphics Update... then that's the problem. I have the MBP with 256MB NVIDIA GPU. Before the LGU the machine was rock solid. After the LGU, I experienced the type of freezes that you're describing almost every day. The only solution was to reinstall OS X and avoid the Leopard Graphics Update like the plague. In Software Update, simply don't select that update to install, but select all later OS X updates.

I know it's a lot of work to do, but I was the first person to discover the cause of this particular freeze and post it on Apple's Support Forums as well as MacFixIt, so I have a lot of experience troubleshooting this particular bug. A few weeks later, Microsoft also confirmed that the LGU was the issue, and was causing problems with the Mac version of Office. It appears that there was a driver included in the update that wasn't compatible with all the chipsets. While subsequent OS X updates included better drivers, they didn't appear to undo any problems on the few machines that the LGU wasn't compatible with. Others have followed the above steps and had quite a bit of success. In my case, my machine is once again rock solid. Of course, YMMV...
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

tiger  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2008, 02:10 AM

The leopard graphics update was for last rev. macbook pros, mine was rolled out after the update, the LGU isn't even compatible... (i tried installing it to see if it helped)

apparently all across the board, manufacturers are seeing astronomical failure rates for the nvidia 8600M GT cards... guess waiting for a fix will be a bit

Forum Links
Forum Rules