Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro Audio - Static, Beeps, Cracks and Popping noise

Macbook Pro Audio - Static, Beeps, Cracks and Popping noise
tiger
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2008, 10:12 PM

edit.. Noise, my bad

I bought a macbook pro (early 2008), and for a couple months I put up with the static, cracks pops and beeps that happen when using headphones... but I can't stand it anymore, it is extremely annoying and sometimes just unbearable when listening at loud volume levels.

My question is... does anybody know of an expresscard 34 audio jack and I can plug in to my macbook pro?... since this seems like an apple hardware issue, does anyone know if an expresscard will make a difference?

I do not notice this on my iPod or any of my other macs, but being that the macbook pro is my main computer.. I would like to resolve it.

Thanks

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2008, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by tiger View Post
I bought a macbook pro (early 2008), and for a couple months I put up with the static, cracks pops and beeps that happen when using headphones... but I can't stand it anymore, it is extremely annoying and sometimes just unbearable when listening at loud volume levels.
What are you talking about?

Why the hell are you putting up with something that is very obviously broken?

GET IT FIXED!

Cold Warrior
Nov 23, 2008, 10:32 AM

It's still under warranty (<1 year old). Definitely get it fixed -- for free! Call Apple and they'll take care of it or take it to an Apple Store.

I still prefer to call and get a box shipped to me b/c there's nothing the Genius bars can do for me except slow down the repair.

tiger  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2008, 11:40 AM

Because Apple says its normal "all computers have some sort of interference" so I was looking for a cheap way to get it fixed, and by calling in the guy just annoys me by saying that he can't hear anything...

Is there a way to get it fixed when they say that is normal? my other computers and iPods obviously don't do that...

Cold Warrior
Nov 23, 2008, 11:52 AM

Some pushback is expected, but you can counter with some evidence of your own. Take the computer to different areas of your home, away from other electronic devices including your cell phone, and see if the static and pops persist.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2008, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by tiger View Post
Because Apple says its normal "all computers have some sort of interference"
I'm not sure what they're talking about, but
Originally Posted by tiger
static, cracks pops and beeps that happen when using headphones
does NOT sound like "normal" interference.

When does this happen?
What does it sound like?
How frequently?
Have you tried using different headphones (might be a broken cable or plug)?
Does it occur when you hook the machine up to a stereo's input using a minijack cable?
Do you have a mobile phone nearby when it happens?

I deal with audio ALL THE TIME and I can assure you that my MacBook has NO "static, cracks pops and beeps" when using headphones that I didn't explicitly put there to be heard.

If your headphones work just fine with your iPod and other computers under the same circumstances, then something is broken.

GET IT FIXED.

Cold Warrior
Nov 23, 2008, 03:07 PM

Do you own a GSM cell phone? Is it kept near your Mac?

tiger  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2008, 04:52 PM

I work with audio as well that's why I can notice the difference in noise... but most of the 'geniuses' can't

What is always persistent is the static, just a noise that sounds like a really bad quality audio clip... they say that is normal interference...

The beeps sound like some sort of electronic frequency change or something of the sort... pretty much like a circuit... and I have tried 3 sets of headphones now, they are all awful, these are not cheap headphones, they are HQ $50 and up... there is only one set of headphones, one I use for a piano in which the noise is apparently filtered out...

However this noise is prevalent on my (external) stereo speakers as well so its not something that I can just let go... it does not happen at all with the macbook pro's built in speakers though

And I have a blackberry around all the time but I doubt that has anything to do with it since it doesn't affect anything else, the nearest phone is 3 walls away

Cold Warrior
Nov 23, 2008, 05:17 PM

What cell provider is the Blackberry, Verizon or AT&T?
What happens if you turn off the Blackberry -- totally powered off, not just ringer silent?

tiger  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2008, 04:35 AM

I turned my phone off completely... and the noise still persists, so don't see how that makes a difference... I would like to get it fixed but my main problem is getting through apple's "its normal" BS

permeant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2008, 04:34 AM

Tiger-
I'm curious how your situation with audio static has turned out. I have the same or similar problem on a brand new late-2008 unibody Macbook pro. I had thought I heard static coming from my amplified Bose speakers when plugged into the audio out, but sort of forgot about it, until tonight when I plugged in new Ultimate Ears Super.fi 4 in-ear headphones. I was blown away by the amount of static hiss that comes through simply from having them plugged in - no audio running.
And yes, for all the skeptics and genius-bar types, this happens regardless of where the computer is, whether it's plugged into the AC, or whether a cell phone is nearby. It's just a baseline hiss that comes through no matter what is hooked up to the audio out. If, for example, I used the computer to produce music live, it would be completely unacceptable. It continues to be detectable in the background when listening to music at low volumes. I don't have, however, any discernible beeps, cracks, or pops, except the initial pop when the audio kicks in. For what it's worth, it also takes a solid second or two for the audio to start flowing after the plug goes in.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2008, 07:06 AM

One thing I *have* noticed when using my Firewire interface is that I get interference in one channel when using airport.

This is nothing major - just a *very* slight hissing/grinding noise. It hasn't bothered me enough to try and work out whether it's generated at the audio interface, the patchbay, mixer, master EQ, or active speakers.

The power supply hum on my LinnDrum is noisier.

tiger  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2009, 05:21 PM

Sorry for taking so long to reply, permeant...

Yes, my problems persists and what you have mentioned is what i am experiencing, an unacceptable amount of static hiss, and I do need to produce live music but I don't use a my macbook pro for it... using a pc (ironic). As for the other noises, beeps are common, the pops happen less often but they ARE there on a loud system, and it doesn't matter if you have good speakers or not, the static is being fed from the computer itself.

cereal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2009, 09:51 PM

The pops and clix come with NO audio interface?

Are you talking iTunes, Youtube, Logic ?

Just a little more info would help.

Hilton Avelino
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2009, 04:41 PM

Got the same problem here in my new macbook white under OSX 10.5.5
Playin music with iTunes normally, but when I stop the music, the static noise starts, and then, a few seconds later, here comes that big, uglly poping sound. That's terrifying!
How can it be fixed? Maybe a software or firmware update? Any Apple's solution for this?
It's a shame this kind of issue in a machine like this.

Hilton Avelino
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2009, 05:01 PM

More: Using my Apogee's Duet thre's no poping between musics and idle times, no problem. But when I use the mute command the poping noise comes again, muting or unmuting!
Very strange...

cereal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2009, 06:51 PM

Pops and clix come from a number of sources.

Wordclocks not synched,

Buffers set too low,

Drivers not updated,

Overdriving the processors (multiple reverbs)

I would head over to the audio forums - Harmony Central will have some help.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2009, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hilton Avelino View Post
More: Using my Apogee's Duet thre's no poping between musics and idle times, no problem. But when I use the mute command the poping noise comes again, muting or unmuting!
Very strange...
Does it mute the sound when you use the mute button while on the Duet?

With my FW interface, mute is disabled, so I get the system error sound, instead, when I press the mute or volume keys.

tiger  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2009, 04:12 PM

Got the same problem here in my new macbook white under OSX 10.5.5
Playin music with iTunes normally, but when I stop the music, the static noise starts, and then, a few seconds later, here comes that big, uglly poping sound. That's terrifying!
How can it be fixed? Maybe a software or firmware update? Any Apple's solution for this?
It's a shame this kind of issue in a machine like this.
That's my same problem... usually when playing music, it drowns out the static but it is apparent afterward... I don't think it has anything to do with old drivers given the computer is NEW and up to date with all updates and firmware...

Hilton Avelino
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2009, 12:09 PM

Searching in the net I found a temporary solution for this: is a software called: SoundOn!
These macbook pops occours because the system turns the soundcard off when there's no sound playng during the idle time to save battery. What SoundOn! does is make the system "think" that there's a sound playng all the time, so no clicking or popping. So far, so good. Except by the static noise that kepps on, but now less significant.
Try it! It's a freeware!
http://www.ziksw.com/soundon/
Hope this help.

Hilton Avelino
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2009, 02:58 PM

I think this problem is solved! :-)

tiger  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2009, 03:22 AM

I think this problem is solved! :-)
How did you solve the problem?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2009, 06:31 AM

Didn't you read his post just above???

tiger  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2009, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Didn't you read his post just above???
I meant that static, sure keeping it on stops the pops, but the whines and static are still there...

SShoot3r
Jan 25, 2009, 11:54 PM

I have the same issue.

tiger  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2009, 08:16 PM

Just following up on this... since apple insists its normal... I want to fix it on my own

Does anyone know of an expresscard 34 for audio out?, I think its absurd that my iPod sounds better than my MacBook Pro.. but that's life... hah

Thanks.

Rozzik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2009, 11:32 AM

I have had this problem, very irritating, I turned off ITunes helper, which is listed as a background startup file.

I have not yet noticed a crack or pop since, and ITunes still works fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules