Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Why would the SAR level of the iPhone 3G be so much higher than that of the 3GS?

Why would the SAR level of the iPhone 3G be so much higher than that of the 3GS?
Le Flaneur
Senior User
Jul 17, 2009, 08:32 AM

Cnet rates the 3G at 1.38, whereas the 3GS is rated at 0.79.

How can this be? I thought that the 3G and the 3GS have basically the same baseband!

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 17, 2009, 09:12 AM

Here's a link to their comparison chart.

Since there is a considerable difference in the hardware of the 3GS from the 3G, I think Apple has simply tightened up tolerances and the new design allows less leakage. A redesigned antenna, better shielding of internal components, and upgraded internal components could all work to reduce the SAR of any cell phone.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Jul 17, 2009, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Here's a link to their comparison chart.

Since there is a considerable difference in the hardware of the 3GS from the 3G, I think Apple has simply tightened up tolerances and the new design allows less leakage. A redesigned antenna, better shielding of internal components, and upgraded internal components could all work to reduce the SAR of any cell phone.
Actually, I thought that only the CPU, graphics chip, and camera had changed.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 17, 2009, 11:13 AM

If they decided to change any of the hardware (that's a significant amount of change already) why not use newer versions of existing RF parts? And more shielding is always better. Besides, all they announced was changes to the CPU, graphics chip and camera-they could have done a lot more. In fact it looks like they did-comparing the "tear down" reviews of the 3G and 3GS, the internals look significantly different.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2009, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Le Flaneur View Post
Actually, I thought that only the CPU, graphics chip, and camera had changed.
AFAIK, power management has improved significantly, as well, which might help contribute considerably towards lower emissions.

Forum Links
Forum Rules