Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Is the power there?

Is the power there?
sodamnregistered
Jul 21, 2001, 11:43 AM

After MWNY I was of the mind that I would just pick-up a few more dual G4/450 machines. I have one, and it gets the job done with a fair amount of authority. I just feel the new line-up is too expensive and should have been all dual machines across the board.

Anyhow, I write this on my Pismo while my dualie churns out a FCP file that I would like to output faster than it it being output, but we also sometimes have volume rendering to do as well.

A dual G4/450 seems to be $1500-$1700 on ebay. A dual G4/800 sans DVD-R and cheapened as much as possible (but with GeForce3) is $2970 or so.

Seems a no brainer, I could get two of the older computers and have decent power and multi-machine flexibility. Plus, I'd take less of of a percentage hit on their eventual resale.

But, does the dual 800 have twice the power? I assume it's a little like an automobile, if you double the horsepower, you do not double the top speed- diminishing gains at the top due ineffiencies elsewhere.

But, the dual 800 has a more powerful cache structure (2MB @ 200MHz and 256k @ 800MHz) and a 133 bus and perhaps enhanced memory throughput?

The older dual has 1MB cache and a 100MHz bus and my memory bandwidth seems to hover around the 240MB/s level.

I do the hard stuff, render After Effects, render Cinema 4d, Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, etc.

Some of the programs actually kick-ass with the dual (Cinema 4d) and some claim to, but seems a little less efficient (FCP & AE).

The DVD-R is a non-issue as we are getting a standalone firewire unit so we can also use it with our PC machines. RAM is a non-issue since it's so cheap.

How would you spend around $3000?

2 older G4/450 machines or 1 new dual 800?

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2001, 03:10 PM

How would you spend around $3000?

2 older G4/450 machines or 1 new dual 800?

I'd probably get the dual since I don't have a need for 3 computers (2 G4/450s + my current B&W G3/400 OC'ed 450). A dual 800 running OS X would probably be the last computer I'd have to buy for a long, long time...

Edit: D'oh! I didn't realize this thread post posted twice...

[ 07-21-2001: Message edited by: SS3 GokouX ]

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2001, 08:33 PM

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules