Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > AppleWorks 6 Conversions

AppleWorks 6 Conversions
Waldo
Apr 18, 2000, 03:43 PM

Can AppleWorks 6 read and convert Windows Office 97, 98, or 2000 documents. My mom recieves various types (Word and Excel mainly) will AppleWorks be able to convert and read them? Does anyone know?
Willie Rolo

Don Foy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2000, 10:23 PM

The "upgrade" deleted all file translation capabilities from the program.

I would recommend continuing to use AppleWorks 5. It should be able to translate 97 and 98 files. I'm not sure about 2000, but I would bet not. You might need to look at MacLink by DataViz for that.

There has been a lot of discusstion here about AppleWorks 6. I don't use it anymore. Many loyal users have gone back to v5.

Hope this helps.

Waldo  (op)
Apr 20, 2000, 09:19 PM

So v5 can convert 97 and 98 that you know of. Will it correctly convert Excel documents. Like putting cell contents in correct cells? What about MacLink Plus. Does that seem to work good for .doc and .xls files? Is it the better way to go?
Thanx,
Willie Rolo

Don Foy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2000, 09:33 PM

I don't have too much experience with the Microsoft stuff other than occasionally. I'm not sure about Excel. Maybe someone else around here knows. You might try the AppleWorks boards at Apple, since I apparently am the only one around here responding to you.

Waldo  (op)
Apr 20, 2000, 09:45 PM

I think I can round up a version of MacLink from home. [At college right now] While on the subject of Appleworks. I have ClarisWorks 5. Is there any way to update Claris to Appleworks?
Thanx,
Willie

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2000, 05:27 AM

ClarisWorks 5? i was under the impression that ClarisWorks was renamed AppleWorks at version 5... so if you have CW5 i am baffled

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2000, 05:39 AM

AppleWorks 5 was called ClarisWorks 5 for more than a year.

In fact, the school district I worked for over the summer installed copies of ClarisWorks 5 on iMacs that had AppleWorks 5 preinstalled. (They also bought SCSI PCI cards in an attempt to get old scanners to connect to these iMacs.)

jbmelby
Apr 21, 2000, 09:19 AM

AppleWorks 6 will work in conjunction with MacLink Plus from Dataviz (current version 11.0) to allow users to save and/or open files in a large number of different formats. IMHO, it's well worth the money!

Don Foy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2000, 08:26 PM

ClarisWorks 5 was just that, ClarisWorks, until Apple bought it fromwhat is now Filemaker (the company that makes the program)

The AppleWorks 5.0.3 upgrade did little more than rebrand ClarisWorks into AppleWorks. AppleWorks 5.0.4 upgrade fixed some cosmetic, as well as other problems, with OS9.

MusicMan
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2000, 01:17 AM

So...is there anywhere to legally get Appleworks 5 anymore?
The branches of the Great Tree grow without end, yet the Maker knows them all. -D'ni Proverb

http://www.danielbergey.com/

Waldo  (op)
Apr 23, 2000, 11:06 AM

Appleworks 5 is still available in
The Apple Store. It's the same price as 6.

MusicMan
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2000, 02:34 PM

The Apple Store only has AppleWorks 6 for Mac and AW5 for Windows. No AW5 for Mac.

Shopper.com found it for me, though. Thanks.
The branches of the Great Tree grow without end, yet the Maker knows them all. -D'ni Proverb

http://www.danielbergey.com/

Eric5
Apr 27, 2000, 02:09 PM

Try to buy AppleWorks 5 somewhere else.
It's more user-friendly, faster and more stable. The toolbar of AppleWorks 6 is awful when you compare it with the toolbar of AppleWorks. (only one row or column of buttons is possible). You have to scroll in the toolbar to see all the buttons. This is really laughable. And there are a lot of conflicts with 3rd party extensions.
But perhaps Apple will fix this in AW 6.1 .
At this moment, AppleWorks 6 is a downgrade. (It has some nice features such as recent files, auto-save and tabels though). I would wait a few months.

Waldo  (op)
Apr 27, 2000, 03:20 PM

I downloaded MacLinkPlus Deluxe 15 day Demo v11. Works great.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2000, 01:58 PM

This TIL article #88024 tells how to use DataViz File Translators with AppleWorks 6.

TIL article #24910 explains how to recover AppleWorks (or ClarisWorks) documents that have become unusable, or "damaged.

Forum Links
Forum Rules