Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Want to upgrade G4 video card

Want to upgrade G4 video card
bolddw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2009, 04:32 PM

I've got a G4 Audio Video, 1.6 ghz processor, 1.5 GB RAM, 500 GB HD, 30 GB HD, USP 2.0 upgrade card, etc. I want to be able to work with HD (hi def) .mov files taken with my KODAK camera. Using iVideo HD, I got a message that the present video card (original) will not work. Any suggestions for an upgrade that does not cost an anrm and a leg?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2009, 05:16 PM

You can check eBay or Cragislist for a Radeon Mac Edition. You'll want an AGP video card. I just did a quick check and found a few for under $100. 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition (not flashed PC card.)

You could save a few bucks by getting PC card that's flashed with a Mac ROM, but the tend to have incompatibilities.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

bolddw  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2009, 07:40 PM

Thanks for the info. What about an NVidia GeForce 2MX? I was also thinking of a card that will support a second monitor.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 19, 2009, 01:13 AM

A GeForce 2MX is horribly old today. Badly underpowered, especially when you're going to push things with HD resolutions. You'd want an ATi 9600/9700/9800 or an nVidia GeForce 4200/4400 (or better).

bolddw  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2009, 05:51 PM

Thanks. I just want to be sure that whatever I buy will actually work in the G4.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 22, 2009, 03:02 AM

Honestly, ditch the G4 and get something newer. Regardless of the graphics card, a G4 will have trouble with most HD content. Even a Mac mini will leave the G4 in the dust.

bolddw  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2009, 11:20 AM

Thanks for you comment, tooki.
This G4 runs on a 1.6 ghz processor plus 1.5 GB RAM. So it's not just a standard G4.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2009, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
A GeForce 2MX is horribly old today. Badly underpowered, especially when you're going to push things with HD resolutions. You'd want an ATi 9600/9700/9800 or an nVidia GeForce 4200/4400 (or better).
Anything compatible with a G4 is horribly old today. I'm with Tooki - spending anything on an old G4 is throwing good money after bad.

A 1.6 GHz G4 is still a very slow processor, barely adequate for the most basic usage today, and definitely inadequate for video editing. 1.5 GB of RAM is nice but it's still less than most computers have these days.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

hwojtek
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2009, 12:33 PM

While theoretically you will be able to do basic work with HD in iMovie HD (I believe you made a small mistake in calling it iVideo) with this CPU and even an NVidia FX5200, it will be dead slow. Believe me. I used to edit my home videos on a similar setup (OWC 1.6GHz + 2GB + FX5200) and it was only acceptably swift with SD material. For a decent comfort with HD you just have to go Intel way. I bought a second-hand quad-core Mac Pro with 4 GB and this computer allows me to do HD without hours of waiting time.
Wojtek

All Macs still running: iMac G3 Trayloader 333MHz, iMac G3 350 MHz, iMac G4, PM G4 DP 1.6 GHz, 2 x eMac 1 GHz, PBG4 12" 1.5 GHz, Mac SuperMini™ C2D 2.33GHz/802.11n/200GB, Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 GHz/4GB.

bolddw  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2009, 10:44 AM

Dziękuję, hwojtek.
That is excellent information for me. Now I'll be looking for a used Mac Pro.
BTW, I was born in Wroslaw (Breslau). Give it my best regards, when you're there. Thanks.

hwojtek
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2009, 05:19 PM

@bolddw: in fact, I will be there tomorrow ;-) I will do as you wanted. Take care, dude.
Wojtek

All Macs still running: iMac G3 Trayloader 333MHz, iMac G3 350 MHz, iMac G4, PM G4 DP 1.6 GHz, 2 x eMac 1 GHz, PBG4 12" 1.5 GHz, Mac SuperMini™ C2D 2.33GHz/802.11n/200GB, Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 GHz/4GB.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 26, 2009, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by bolddw View Post
Thanks for you comment, tooki.
This G4 runs on a 1.6 ghz processor plus 1.5 GB RAM. So it's not just a standard G4.
Even a G5 is horribly slow compared to the Intels. Beyond the CPU clock speed, so many other things are faster on a new system (system bus, RAM, graphics cards, hard disks, etc) that as a whole package, an older system simply cannot keep up, no matter how many upgrades you throw at it.

Even a Mac mini with enough RAM will run circles around the G4.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2009, 12:20 PM

I agree with others, do not invest in G4 buy a desktop MacIntel; IMO minimum core 2 duo with FW800 for connectivity. New Minis IMO are the sleeper value in Macs. Also 2.66 GHz used Mac Pros, but everyone knows that so their prices have been bid up.

-Allen Wicks

Forum Links
Forum Rules