Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > New Digital Leica and my puny G3 iBook

New Digital Leica and my puny G3 iBook
newcomer
Dec 14, 2005, 10:38 AM

Am about to indulge in a Leica D-Lux 2.

I am a keen photographer and I've used an old manual SLR for yonks but I'm new to digital.

The Leica connects by USB (2 I guess) - will this make things painfully slow on my 2003 iBook which is 800MHz, 640MB RAM and I think has USB 1.1?

Thanks.

micahgartman
Dec 14, 2005, 11:34 AM

That depends...

What's your threshold for pain?
mg

newcomer  (op)
Dec 14, 2005, 11:56 AM

Well, it can take me ages to get a perfect print in the darkroom - and I know my iBook is not that zippy when I'm editing colour scans from negatives in Photoshop - so I'm not expecting miracles. But would transfer of raw files be just too slow to be workable? I'm busting the bank on the camera so a G4/G5 machine ain't on the cards unfortunately.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 14, 2005, 12:16 PM

Depending on the size of your RAW files, you should probably expect something like 40-90 seconds per image.

inkhead
Senior User
Dec 15, 2005, 06:32 AM

Your going to buy a new Leica professional digital camera, but don't find it important enough to use a computer that doesn't suck? Buy a new computer, then a new camera. What a waste.

newcomer  (op)
Dec 15, 2005, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by inkhead
Your going to buy a new Leica professional digital camera, but don't find it important enough to use a computer that doesn't suck? Buy a new computer, then a new camera. What a waste.
Steady on mate - no need to get shirty. As a newcomer to digital (though by no means to photography per se) perhaps I have underestimated the processor power I'll need for the camera I want.

The D-Lux 2 is not a professional camera and as to my iBook sucking, well it may not pack that much of a punch (indeed by 2005 standards it is 'puny' by my own admission) but it has served me well over the last couple of years.

Morpheus
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2005, 07:44 PM

I own the Panasonic LX-1 camera which is almost identical to the Leica. It is *not* USB 2 and I'm sure the Leica isn't either. (To be correct: both are USB 2 but don't support the high speed mode)

Buy a FireWire Card reader. That's the cheapest and fastest solution.

Oh and by the way: go for the LX-1 and save your money. The Leica is way overpriced. It's essentially the same camera as the LX-1.

And since you mentioned you're new to digital photography: don't expect wonders from raw.In most cases a jpeg will do equally well.

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2005, 09:46 PM

Sometimes people do get a little shirty around here, don't they?

Your iBook is fine!... get a firewire card reader, move on.

That Leica ticks all the boxes.

vinster
Senior User
Dec 16, 2005, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by MichiganRich
Sometimes people do get a little shirty around here, don't they?

Your iBook is fine!... get a firewire card reader, move on.

That Leica ticks all the boxes.
A firewire card reader will do the trick nicely. I never connect my DSLR directly to the computer as I have a PCMCIA CF adapter. Pay no attention to the posters telling you to get a new computer or a different camera. It's your money, do what you want w/ it.

Morpheus
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2005, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by vinster
Pay no attention to the posters telling you to get a different camera.
yeah...but if that poster was the first to propose a FW card reader do it nevertheless...

The D-Lux 2 and the Panasonic LX-1 are nearly identical. See here: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05...leicadlux2.asp

Save that 300$.

Forum Links
Forum Rules