Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 3 F***ing Days....

3 F***ing Days....
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 11:16 AM

when will the cravings go away. I manage to finally quit smoking. I still keep wanting to have that one last smoke. Im hoping i will go away soon. Im also hoping my sleeping pattern goes back to normal, the couple days I haven't been able to sleep. Any one tell me how long these cravings last.

Budster you bitch I challenge you to quit lol come on prove im not better then you
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 11:17 AM

lol

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2005, 11:22 AM

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Randman

oh you wise guy

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 11:33 AM

It takes a bit of time. I quit a long time ago, and find that the only time I'm tempted is when I'm out at the clubs. Fortunately, that's not very often.

If you can't handle it the first couple of weeks, get a patch or some nic gum. They will help take the edge off the craving.

Super Mario
Sep 21, 2005, 11:37 AM

IF you're stressed have a smoke.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2005, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
when will the cravings go away. I manage to finally quit smoking. I still keep wanting to have that one last smoke. Im hoping i will go away soon. Im also hoping my sleeping pattern goes back to normal, the couple days I haven't been able to sleep. Any one tell me how long these cravings last.
I had a friend who had one of the worst withdrawals I've seen. Seriously less healthy than when she was smoking. It lasted about a week.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2005, 11:41 AM

Evil. Pure Evil.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 11:54 AM

eh. i smoked for a few years. pack a day or so.

its all mind over matter. you have to tell yourself that you do not smoke. it just doesnt exist in your life. you never did. do NOT count days as this leads to you feeling like you deserve a reward. don't replace this habit with another. "they" say a nicotine craving lasts for like 6 minutes. buck up and deal with it, tough guy.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 12:05 PM

- -snip- -
Excuse me sir but this JPG belongs in the smokers lounge.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2005, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Excuse me sir but this JPG belongs in the smokers lounge.
There is a smokers lounge?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2005, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
There is a smokers lounge?

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2005, 12:18 PM

Light it up and just hold it in your hand don't inhale it! Now thats what I call control, if you can do this when there is craving then you are done smoking I would say.
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2005, 12:19 PM

Budster you bitch I challenge you to quit lol come on prove im not better then you
Have you considered asking your doctor about Zyban/Wellbutrin (bupropion in case the brand names are different in Canada)?

Might help with the urges.

ambush
Banned
Sep 21, 2005, 12:19 PM

i smoke on occasions but I'm far from being addicted.

a cigarette is too strong for me... they give me headaches most of the time.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2005, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
I see, so its behind a brick wall that I must smash with my head...maybe later

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 21, 2005, 12:29 PM

I need to quit. I smoke too much.

The fact that I drink like a fish and smoke more weed than Bob Marley doesn't help.
ice

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2005, 12:33 PM

What's so hard about it? It's not like smoking isn't addictive. The tobacco industry says so.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2005, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
I need to quit. I smoke too much.

The fact that I drink like a fish and smoke more weed than Bob Marley doesn't help.
Drinking makes quitting hard as hell, though, pot would help me quit cigarrettes (if only it were socially acceptable)

I've had nights where I smoked a pack and a half (while drinking heavily) and the next morning my throat feels like total ass. Never happened to me with pot though.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 12:48 PM

I know how you are feeling.

I haven't ever smoked, but I did stop caffiene about a year ago. The first 3 weeks were excruciating. The headaches suck.

But after that, I slept better and felt better. Only problem is I still see Mountain Dew Code Red and almost start drooling. Iced tea. Red Bull.

I know I was truly an addict. I still feel that magnetic pull towards the sugary beverage fridge at the store.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2005, 12:51 PM

Caffeine is a rough habit too.

I get nauseous and light headed if I don't have it by 10AM

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man
Have you considered asking your doctor about Zyban/Wellbutrin (bupropion in case the brand names are different in Canada)?

Might help with the urges.
ive tried cutting down and stuff. Im just doing this totally 100% cold turkey. Im not replacing one form with another.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 12:55 PM

i had quit caffinee for 3 months before i started it again 3 weeks ago. Im holding off on quiting that for a few weeks after the smoking. Both at the same time will kill me. The real test will be tonight at work. I quit on my weekend, so tonight will be the first night at work smoke free.

Persephone
Baninated
Sep 21, 2005, 01:01 PM

ive tried cutting down and stuff. Im just doing this totally 100% cold turkey.
That's the ticket. I quit 15 months ago (after smoking for 19 years)...YOU CAN DO IT!

zoroaster68
Baninated
Sep 21, 2005, 01:07 PM

Put your lips around your cars exhaust pipe and have someone rev the engine. It's the same thing.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2005, 01:15 PM

ive tried cutting down and stuff. Im just doing this totally 100% cold turkey. Im not replacing one form with another.
It's not replacing one form with another, really.

Bupropion is an antidepressant that can help curb your cravings for the nicotine. Most people take it for about 6 to 9 months.

But if you can do it on your own, then more power to you. I just wanted you to be aware of other alternatives to nicotine patches/inhalers/gum, etc.

Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2005, 03:32 PM

Why did you guys start smoking in the first place?

xargos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2005, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man
Take it from someone who's on antidepressants - don't use them unless you really need to. For some people getting off of them can be pretty bad.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2005, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by 11011001
I don't smoke anymore- did a bit in college. It was to get chicks. Pretty much the reason I did anything at that age- I would ask myself, "will this help or hinder getting me chicks?" and than acted accordingly.

No doubt there will be someone who says "but the kinds of chicks you get by smoking are skanks" or somesuch nonsense. In college, chicks are chicks. And I never claimed to have been good at it or that all (or even most) of my schemes were successful.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2005, 05:02 PM

I started smoking to quell my oral fixation for smoking pot. If I could, I'd rather smoke joints instead of cigarettes, but the latter is a much more socially acceptable head-change.

Also, I enjoy getting outside of the crowded bar scene for little stints....fresh air mixed with awful air, meh.

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2005, 05:10 PM

I have experienced that smoking can cure common cold (it fumigates the lungs, which is useful) and also it is known to prevent brain degeneration, so that is another good reason to smoke. Like everything else in life one can smoke in moderation and it will be beneficial. IMHO. (But please don't believe in what I say, what applies for me may not apply for you).
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

James L
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2005, 07:28 PM

Athens,

You are dealing with two addictions don't forget... the chemical and the psychological.

The chemical tends to end within 4 days. The psychological can take much longer.

The big thing is to not give in to a craving. Having one smoke can reset the clock on the chemical withdrawal process.

Keep going bud. You are almost through the chemical withdrawal phase. Now, you need to find ways to get over your habitual aspects of smoking.... after meals, when waking up, while talking on the phone, etc. Have a system for these, be it gum, a rubber ball to squeeze with your hand, a glass of water to drink, etc so when you are, for example, talking on the phone your hand, which would normally hold a smoke, has something to do.

Good luck!

James

James L
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2005, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by FulcrumPilot
I have experienced that smoking can cure common cold (it fumigates the lungs, which is useful) and also it is known to prevent brain degeneration, so that is another good reason to smoke. Like everything else in life one can smoke in moderation and it will be beneficial. IMHO. (But please don't believe in what I say, what applies for me may not apply for you).

It fumigates the lungs and is known to prevent brain degeneration?

Links please.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 07:44 PM

mmm...first one in the morning...

coffee and smokes

drinking and smoking...

acting and looking cool...

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2005, 09:15 PM

Congrats on deciding to quit. I hope each day is easier than the day before it.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2005, 09:24 PM

Move to Japan. Smokes are everywhere, they`re under 3 bucks US, and in many many flavors.

MInd you that I don`t smoke, but its fun watching my friends go ga ga over them here.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 21, 2005, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by ambush
i smoke on occasions but I'm far from being addicted.

You know what gives me a headache?

YOUR SIGNATURE.

I NEED A SMOKE.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 09:47 PM

boyfriend got me smoking, I made it 23 years smoke free.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
You know what gives me a headache?

YOUR SIGNATURE.

I NEED A SMOKE.

I need to take some one down with me in the suffering and I chose you so chuck that pack and suffer with me

LOL you going to let me, beat you at something? Wheres your pride

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 21, 2005, 10:27 PM

You win. I'm no quiter...

I'll quit, someday, I think. I'm such a pussycat.

yukon
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2005, 11:12 PM

will this help or hinder getting me chicks?" and than acted accordingly."
Brilliant really. You just answered a philosophy question one level further. "Why do I not smoke? Because it is not condusive to health. Why do I desire health? Because health is good. Why is health good? Because _it now helps get chicks_." Answer why chicks are good, and we may have found a self-evident goodness.

The best thing is to evaluate what you do before you start anything, but decisions are made before you learn to do that. I can say that caffene is an addiction, lack of it gave me headaches and made my temper quicker. But, after a long time, a lot of effort and will power, I was able to start drinking cola again. I found that the easiest way actually IS replacing an addiction. The solution, find an addiction that isn't unhealthy. Instead of sugary/sweetened corrosive cola, try tea, it's actually a net gain for health. Coffee isn't too unhealthy, it's mainly what you put into it, try switching to black coffee, you'll get used to it and like it more in time.

You poor smokers, procrastinating with cola won't kill you, smoking will. I've never quit smoking, so I can't help you with motivation there, I'd offer it if I could but I can at least give you some more negitive reinforcement. You smell terrible, it's in your clothes, in your house, in your car, and you can't cover it up. You have three basic needs, food/water/tobacco where I only have two (no, you can't eat tobacco). You're wasting enough money to buy these disadvantages when it would save enough for the down payment on a nicer car than yours. You'll die sooner and more painfully, and won't be able to enjoy some of the best things in life as much as you could otherwise. And today, the chicks, along with everyone else, look down on smokers.

Smoke if you want of course, that's your right (as long as I'm allowed the drugs of my choice), but if you want to quit, best of luck to you in that.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 21, 2005, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by yukon
You're wasting enough money to buy these disadvantages when it would save enough for the down payment on a nicer car than yours. You'll die sooner and more painfully, and won't be able to enjoy some of the best things in life as much as you could otherwise. And today, the chicks, along with everyone else, look down on smokers.
The money is a non-issue if somebody has the means to both smoke and take care of other things which you mention. I don't know what kind of car you have, but I am fairly certain that plenty of smokers have nicer cars than you do.

As for dying sooner; yes that is certainly a possibility, though many smokers will probably end up living longer than you. Plenty of non-smokers croak all of the time, some of them at a very young age. As for dying painfully; again it depends, plenty of non-smokers will meet an extremely violent and unpleasant death.

As for the chicks, it is fully possible to be a smoker and get laid, millions of smokers do this all of the time. Meanwhile, there are plenty of non-smokers in this world who are not getting laid at this very moment.

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2005, 11:36 PM

I started smoking because it gave me nice buzz. After a few months the buzzes seized.

Then I was smoking out of a psychological habit. One in the morning on the way to school, one in the afternoon after lunch, one after dinner, and one right before bed. When I went out, I usually had one or two with each beer.

The problem with quitting cold turkey is that you suddenly feel like something's missing from your life. The habits are etched in to your everyday routine. It's almost like waking up in the morning and not going straight to the bathroom for a nice piss. Instead, you brush your teeth and take a shower.

I've found that exercising and eating healthy keep me from the craving. Then after a few weeks, you forget about cigarettes. You just need to give it time, and train yourself into a new daily routine WITHOUT cigarettes.

And everytime I contemplate going to go buy a pack, I just think of running a couple miles, and then I realize I don't want to be that person that falls behind in all things physical. When I first quit, I could definitely feel the strain on my lungs/throat when I did cardiovascular. But after a week or so, it got much better, and I don't want to mess that up now by giving in and buying a pack.

Quitting would be SO much easier if they sold cigarettes one at a time. When you want 1, you get 20.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2005, 11:45 PM

Yadda yadda yadda, blah blah blah (good luck Athens)... ...and then we get to the main revelation in this thread...

Originally Posted by ambush
...Ambush admitting that he's got no French blood in him whatsoever.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 11:48 PM

i agree, i would have been able to slow down much more if i could have only gotten one when i wanted one and not 20

yukon
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 12:14 AM

The money is a non-issue if somebody has the means to both smoke and take care of other things which you mention. I don't know what kind of car you have, but I am fairly certain that plenty of smokers have nicer cars than you do.
Other than James Bond, probably everyone I've seen that smoked didn't have much money. Could be just my experience, but I remember certain smokers combing through their crappy, stinking cars for pennies to buy another pack (back when pennies mattered a bit more, 2$ packs etc). If they have enough money to do whatever they want, then the money saved would still help pay for a down payment on a nicer car (there's always a nicer car), but it just wouldn't matter to them. Other than "cigarettes cost = car payment" exactly in cases of wealthy smoking people, the argument still stands.

As for dying sooner; yes that is certainly a possibility, though many smokers will probably end up living longer than you....plenty of non-smokers will meet an extremely violent and unpleasant death.
You're right, I shouldn't have made all my statements so exact, it was more for effect. You may not die from smoking, but the odds really are against you. But I would argue that it's unlikely that smokers my age or older will live longer than myself, as long as I don't change my mind on analyzing what I do before I do it (eg. I take up car dodging).

As for the chicks, it is fully possible to be a smoker and get laid, millions of smokers do this all of the time. Meanwhile, there are plenty of non-smokers in this world who are not getting laid at this very moment.
Yes? The reverse of your statement is still true. I stand by my statement "today, the chicks, along with everyone else, look down on smokers.", though I was trying to be motivational and blunt, so I'll tone "everyone" down to "almost everyone" or "society" since it's being argued. I find that the less you cough at a woman, the better, and the healthier you are, the better for any strenuous activity you do with the woman at night (like night skiing, which is fun).

Honestly, you weren't supposed to argue with those points, they're all true at least in the vast majority of cases, they're as I said "negative reinforcement" for wanting to quit. It's a habit that hurts almost all involved (excepting farmers and companies involved in tobacco, arguably profiting off the suffering of others), Lots of people here said that quitting is difficult, if I can help by making quitting more appealing, maybe I can help a few people avoid some even worse things to come.

edit: you do still smell if you smoke by the way. either of tobacco, or tobacco and air fresheners (which is worse IMHO).
( Last edited by yukon; Sep 22, 2005 at 12:20 AM. )

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2005, 02:04 AM

Oh God Work Sux With Out Smokes Some One Shoot Me

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2005, 03:23 AM

ok tonight is easier then last night except for the jerk that decided to walk into the lobby with a lite smoke, oh that alone has made my night hell, now im craving BAD

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2005, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by sek929
I started smoking to quell my oral fixation for smoking pot. If I could, I'd rather smoke joints instead of cigarettes, but the latter is a much more socially acceptable head-change.
Me too. I smoked loads of pot in college, now I smoke like 2 cigarettes a day, one on the way to work, one on the way home.

If I'm in a bar though, I'll likely smoke 2 per drink.

I haven't had a cold in 18 months, I think thats more to do with my healthy eating rather than the smoking though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules