Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The new Dr. Who already quit!

The new Dr. Who already quit! (Page 2)
Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2005, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by REB3L
What is your interest in this crap show?
What is your interest in this thread?

And Dr Who for that matter.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

REB3L
Apr 16, 2005, 01:03 PM

None whatsoever. kthxbye

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2005, 10:15 AM

What is your interest in this crap show?

Tom Baker wants you to stfu

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

REB3L
Apr 17, 2005, 10:35 AM

Seriously, why would anyone like this show? It's very budget, and its too camp to take it seriously. I've noticed that its mostly the Americans/Canadians in this thread who express an interest in it.

andi*pandi
Apr 17, 2005, 11:29 AM

are you supposed to take TV seriously? Wow, I missed the memo.

REB3L
Apr 17, 2005, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi
are you supposed to take TV seriously? Wow, I missed the memo.

No but you're supposed to be able to enjoy it, and most people don't enjoy Dr Who. I want to know why people in this thread do.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2005, 12:36 PM

No but you're supposed to be able to enjoy it, and most people don't enjoy Dr Who. I want to know why people in this thread do.
Wow, even after you said by and that Dr Who sucks you keep coming back here. A closet Dr Who fan?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

REB3L
Apr 17, 2005, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Wow, even after you said by and that Dr Who sucks you keep coming back here. A closet Dr Who fan?
Actually I think the opening theme is the catchiest theme on television. After that everything is pants.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2005, 01:01 PM

Seriously, why would anyone like this show? It's very budget, and its too camp to take it seriously. I've noticed that its mostly the Americans/Canadians in this thread who express an interest in it.

maybe because all i see on tv here in the states is reality bs??? i dunno, some people like it some people don't - i'm sure there are things you like that i think are stupid. why not list a few things you like so i can bash them and be cool like you.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

REB3L
Apr 17, 2005, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by nredman
maybe because all i see on tv here in the states is reality bs??? i dunno, some people like it some people don't - i'm sure there are things you like that i think are stupid. why not list a few things you like so i can bash them and be cool like you.
Well honestly I've only seen the first episode of this series, after which I just stopped watching. I've seen various other seasons as well, the Dalek episodes stand out in my mind. But Christopher Eccleston is just a tad goofy looking with his shaved head, whenever I see him I think of that psychopath he played in Shallow Grave (good film btw). And the music they play during the episode is cheese (britney spears). Lastly I think that the show is far too scary for children under 8.

(Just joking about that last point!)

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2005, 01:49 PM

Well honestly I've only seen the first episode of this series, after which I just stopped watching. I've seen various other seasons as well, the Dalek episodes stand out in my mind. But Christopher Eccleston is just a tad goofy looking with his shaved head, whenever I see him I think of that psychopath he played in Shallow Grave (good film btw). And the music they play during the episode is cheese (britney spears). Lastly I think that the show is far too scary for children under 8.

(Just joking about that last point!)

those are valid points, i was really into the classic series as a kid (i still watch them on dvd and video alot) so i feel i have to defend the new series. i have enjoyed it so far, we'll see how it progresses.

REB3L
Apr 17, 2005, 02:29 PM

those are valid points, i was really into the classic series as a kid (i still watch them on dvd and video alot) so i feel i have to defend the new series. i have enjoyed it so far, we'll see how it progresses.
SWF is right, I may actually be a closet fan. How are the rest of the episodes from this series? I may download the latest one from BTEFNET tonight.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2005, 02:35 PM

SWF is right, I may actually be a closet fan. How are the rest of the episodes from this series? I may download the latest one from BTEFNET tonight.
havent seen the one that was on last night yet. still working on it.

andi*pandi
Apr 17, 2005, 04:33 PM

the second one had more action and less character development, better effects, better music, and plenty of humor. The third one is sitting on my desktop as a reward for if I ever get these damn actionlisteners to do what I tell them. The fourth one I'm not tempting myself with until later this week.

as for why I like who... it could be a nostalgia thing, it could be I just like science fiction... could be its "differentness" makes it seem fresher than US fare. (Enterprise, talkin' to you.)

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2005, 10:23 AM

the second one had more action and less character development, better effects, better music, and plenty of humor. The third one is sitting on my desktop as a reward for if I ever get these damn actionlisteners to do what I tell them. The fourth one I'm not tempting myself with until later this week.

as for why I like who... it could be a nostalgia thing, it could be I just like science fiction... could be its "differentness" makes it seem fresher than US fare. (Enterprise, talkin' to you.)
did you watch the 4th episode yet? i won't say anything about what i liked and disliked until you have watched it.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2005, 01:09 PM

I didn't like the episode that took place in old England, the 3rd one I think.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2005, 04:56 PM

Guess who's back in the mother****ing house!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4469761.stm

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2005, 06:01 PM

Guess who's back in the mother****ing house!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4469761.stm
ahhhhh yeah! i noticed the title of next weeks episode "Dalek" online last week and saw the preview after this weeks episode. should be good.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2005, 06:18 PM

ahhhhh yeah! i noticed the title of next weeks episode "Dalek" online last week and saw the preview after this weeks episode. should be good.
Any links to pics of the new Dalek? Trailers?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2005, 06:44 PM

Any links to pics of the new Dalek? Trailers?
not that i know of....here is a boring screen capture from last nights preview....just a dalek chained up...the last dalek which slipped thru time.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2005, 06:46 PM

There must be new modern ones though as they talk how they can swivel at the hip and walk up stairs.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2005, 06:56 PM

There must be new modern ones though as they talk how they can swivel at the hip and walk up stairs.
maybe they are going to kick it old school for awhile and then go for the updated daleks??? bring back davros for that maybe? wish i could extract the preview for you, it got me all excited like dr. who used to when i was a kid

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2005, 07:00 PM

maybe they are going to kick it old school for awhile and then go for the updated daleks??? bring back davros for that maybe? wish i could extract the preview for you, it got me all excited like dr. who used to when i was a kid
I think the story is about millionaire owns that old school pictures Dalek above. There must be new modern ones as well in the same episode. Well, time will tell.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2005, 07:04 PM

I think the story is about millionaire owns that old school pictures Dalek above. There must be new modern ones as well in the same episode. Well, time will tell.

they show the dalek freaking out and saying "exterminate" in the clip - maybe the guy is producing new high tech daleks from old dalek dna anyways like you said time will tell.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2005, 04:43 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/c...bram=1&bbram=1

trailer is up on bbc's website..real video - kind of sucky video quality but its all we got.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2005, 04:51 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/c...bram=1&bbram=1

trailer is up on bbc's website..real video - kind of sucky video quality but its all we got.
Damn, got me wet.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 26, 2005, 05:43 PM

Crap show? Please don't insult our intelligence.....the show must be over your head anyway.

Honestly way back in the day I first thought the show was weird, then I actually watched it and got hooked. I have not missed an episode yet (can't tell you how) and the show is better than ever. The Doctor is always The Doctor, no matter who plays him.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2005, 06:25 PM

Damn, got me wet.

yeah i know what you mean, i get chills when i hear the dalek say "exterminate" </dork>

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2005, 01:41 PM

just watched the new episode today, i thought Christopher Eccleston was great. i didn't really like the ending...i won't say anything else because i dont want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it. i will say that i knew we would have a new companion from this episode once i saw the guy.

Marv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 02:05 PM

That's why people do like it! It is low budget, campy, and anything but serious. However, it's not for everybody and if you don't like it, that's okay, too!

Marv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 02:08 PM

just watched the new episode today, i thought Christopher Eccleston was great. i didn't really like the ending...i won't say anything else because i dont want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it. i will say that i knew we would have a new companion from this episode once i saw the guy.
Where, how can it be seen?

Marv

Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2005, 02:20 PM

just watched the new episode today

I think you need to say which one you are talking about because they seem to be airing on different schedules for us all.

I just saw the "new" one of the slitherine part 1.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 1, 2005, 02:48 PM

He's talking about 'Dalek', I watched it on TV lastnight. But I won't spoil it for you .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2005, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Marv
Where, how can it be seen?

Marv
ummm there are ways. and the new episode was "Dalek"

meelk
Baninated
May 1, 2005, 03:49 PM

yeah, most people dont enjoy it, thats why its in season 27. DURRRRRR

andi*pandi
May 5, 2005, 12:20 PM

I'm collecting a tidy nest egg of episodes to watch when my final project is all done. In the meantime, thought you guys would like this:

http://catandgirl.com/view.php?loc=131

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2005, 07:29 PM

I'm collecting a tidy nest egg of episodes to watch when my final project is all done. In the meantime, thought you guys would like this:

http://catandgirl.com/view.php?loc=131

nice

thanks for bringing this thread back up to date - i think i will go watch that Dalek episode again.

Spliff
Mac Elite
May 11, 2005, 05:03 PM

ummm there are ways. and the new episode was "Dalek"
Wow, the "Dalek" episode sucked beyond belief. No wonder Eccleston left the show. The writing and humour are aimed at Elementary school kids, maybe even younger.

Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2005, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Spliff
Wow, the "Dalek" episode sucked beyond belief. No wonder Eccleson left the show. The writing and humour are aimed at Elementary school kids, maybe even younger.
I was going to comment on how much I liked it. It was nice to see them do something different with the character opposed to the usual evil plans the dalek are normally up to.

The voice of the thing sends chills down my spine. I was happy to find out they used the same voice actor.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Spliff
Mac Elite
May 11, 2005, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice
Anyway, as long as Billie Piper stays, I'll still have a reason to watch !
She doesn't do it for me. She's got a massive jaw like a pitbull or Minni Driver. Creeps me out.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2005, 05:23 PM

I was going to comment on how much I liked it. It was nice to see them do something different with the character opposed to the usual evil plans the dalek are normally up to.

The voice of the thing sends chills down my spine. I was happy to find out they used the same voice actor.
i liked the dalek episode too but it did leave me wanting more, i didnt want the dalek to die. as for billie i think she is pretty hot...she has some DSL's

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2005, 05:35 PM

i liked the dalek episode too but it did leave me wanting more, i didnt want the dalek to die. as for billie i think she is pretty hot...she has some DSL's
Yeah, if that really was the last dalek that's one door closed forever.

Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2005, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Yeah, if that really was the last dalek that's one door closed forever.

"And did I mention it also travels through TIME"

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2005, 06:14 PM

"And did I mention it also travels through TIME"
Yeah, yeah, yeah...

But then you have to ask how he could possible be the last Timelord. Obviously it must be possible to completely wipe someone out throughout space and time.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
May 11, 2005, 09:08 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah...

But then you have to ask how he could possible be the last Timelord. Obviously it must be possible to completely wipe someone out throughout space and time.
I always assumed that was the thing with time travel, you became the only "you" in time.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2005, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by invisibleX
I always assumed that was the thing with time travel, you became the only "you" in time.
Watch the next episode (after The Long Game).

Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2005, 11:53 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah...

The other thing I don't get is why was he so upset about Rose getting killed by the Dalek, or even upset that it was out on the loose anyway. I mean just hop into the tardas and stop it before it happens again.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2005, 05:45 AM

The other thing I don't get is why was he so upset about Rose getting killed by the Dalek, or even upset that it was out on the loose anyway. I mean just hop into the tardas and stop it before it happens again.

wouldnt that change the course of history though...i dont think the doctor likes doing that??? i remember an old 5th doctor episode where a companion (adric) gets killed when he is on a spaceship crashing into the earth which is supposed to be what killed all the dinosaurs?? anyways i guess he just doesnt like to go back and fix his f' ups

Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2005, 09:26 AM

wouldnt that change the course of history though...i dont think the doctor likes doing that??? i remember an old 5th doctor episode where a companion (adric) gets killed when he is on a spaceship crashing into the earth which is supposed to be what killed all the dinosaurs?? anyways i guess he just doesnt like to go back and fix his f' ups
That's all the doctor does though is change history. I mean he always travels to a place in trouble beats the bad guys and moves on. Guess he doesn't hold his co-workers in too high of an opinion.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

nath
Mac Elite
May 15, 2005, 08:04 AM

I think the general gist of it is that he as a Time Lord 'knows what he's doing' when he changes history...whereas others don't.

There's also been a recurring theme in Doctor Who that you can't 'undo' someone's death without causing a paradox.

Last night's episode ('Father's Day') was explicitly about this, the Doctor and Rose travelling back to 1987 to witness Rose's father's death, which she proceeded to prevent (against the Doctor's wishes).

Well worth checking out on Bittorrent for those overseas, this one (for me) was the first time an episode from the new series has worked as a standalone piece of drama. It asked some interesting questions, didn't rely too much on Ecclestone gurning 'Fantastic!' every few minutes, and was actually quite sad. The FX were pretty cool too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules