Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Moon landing. Did anybody else see it 40 years ago?

The Moon landing. Did anybody else see it 40 years ago?
design219
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2009, 12:43 PM

I suspect the majority of you were too young, but I was almost eight years old and my dad woke me up and made me stay awake to watch because it was so historic. I loved it!

NASA and the space program used to be such a big deal. I followed all the launches in the sixties. It seems like the public doesn't give a darn anymore.

Anybody else remember the landing?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2009, 12:46 PM

I'd like to think people would watch if we went back to the moon.

Edit: He's not around but I'm sure Doofy has some type of sardonic comment in waiting for this thread.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2009, 12:51 PM

I was 6 months old, so I might have been in front of the TV watching it.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2009, 12:51 PM

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...30650&s=143444

When I was young I told my mum
I’m going to walk on the moon someday
Armstrong and aldrin spoke to me
From houston and cape kennedy
And I watched the eagle landing
On a night when the moon was full
And as it tugged at the tides, I knew deep inside
I too could feel it’s pull

I lay in my bed and dreamed I walked
On the sea of tranquillity
I knew that someday soon we’d all sail to the moon
On the high tide of technology
But the dreams have all been taken
And the window seats taken too
And 2001 has almost come and gone
What am I supposed to do?

Now that the space race is over
It’s been and it’s gone and I’ll never get to the moon
Because the space race is over
And I can’t help but feel we’ve all grown up too soon

Now my dreams have all been shattered
And my wings are tattered too
And I can still fly but not half as high
As once I wanted to

It’s been and it’s gone and I’ll never get to the moon
And I can’t help but feel we’ve all grown up too soon

My son and I stand beneath the great night sky
And gaze up in wonder
I tell him the tale of apollo and he says
"why did they ever go? "
It may look like some empty gesture
To go all that way just to come back
But don’t offer me a place out in cyberspace
Cos where in the hell’s that at?

It’s been and it’s gone and I’ll never get out of my room
And I can’t help but feel we’re all just going nowhere

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2009, 12:53 PM

I was pissed that Romper Room was preempted. Seriously. I didn't quite grasp the importance of it at the time.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 16, 2009, 01:06 PM

I was already a true space nut by 1969, and at 10 years of age I was all over watching the landing AND the first moon walk. I remember those crappy video frames on our black and white TV quite well.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Thorzdad
Jul 16, 2009, 01:46 PM

I was an 11-year-old space geek. I watched every fuzzy second of it. Loved every moment.
In some ways I've always felt that I was lucky enough to have been able to live through/witness the last age of great exploration, that being the space race of the 60's. Unless we decided to send men to Mars, of course. Fat chance for that, though.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2009, 02:00 PM

Of course. I was there on the backlot when it was shot, stage 12B Culver City.

Not really.

I was too young to remember such a wonder. But I do recall some of the later missions and watching the splash down.

It's a shame how we've limited human space flight to the space station. We should've had a base on the moon by now, not that I'm certain we don't.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Radioflyer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2009, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Anybody else remember the landing?
I remember ... glued to the TV.
Cheers
RadioFlyer

finboy
Jul 16, 2009, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I was already a true space nut by 1969, and at 10 years of age I was all over watching the landing AND the first moon walk. I remember those crappy video frames on our black and white TV quite well.
I can remember going to school late to watch some grainy walking on the moon. I had an old TV in my bedroom for just that purpose. That would have been either '71 or '72. But I'm too young to remember the actual first steps.

Sealobo
Jul 16, 2009, 03:36 PM

no, i was -11 years old.

i can only imagine it'd be an exciting time for the entire nation.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2009, 03:36 PM

Ohh i remember... was that the one that was shot at MGM studios???

:-P
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2009, 03:49 PM

They started the moon walk about midnight, and I had fallen asleep waiting for them to come down the ladder. Mom woke me up in time to see it. Very cool.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2009, 04:18 PM

This thread makes me feel a right wee li’l grasshopper. Especially since it turns out ghporter and Thorzdad are precisely the same age as my dad and my (real) mum, respectively. I think I’ll go look for that T**li**t thread again, to get back to feeling like an old fogey.

I’ve always wished I could have experienced something like the Moon landing when it happened; but I was about -13 years old, going by Sealobo’s way of counting.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2009, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
T**li**t
huh?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2009, 04:37 PM

I think I’ll go look for that T**li**t thread again, to get back to feeling like an old fogey.
I got it.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 16, 2009, 05:21 PM

This thread makes me feel a right wee li’l grasshopper. Especially since it turns out ghporter and Thorzdad are precisely the same age as my dad and my (real) mum, respectively.
I just finished four years of schooling; most of my classmates were of an age that I could have been their fathers, and I am a couple of years older than one's parents-and she just had a baby yesterday. But I don't feel old because of that. Thinking about how exciting and magical it seemed to be watching TV from the surface of the moon makes me feel like a kid.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2009, 06:00 PM

GREAT THREAD!!!!!

I was 13. I was sitting in the middle of the main area of our Syracuse University Grad Appt. My dad was finishing his Doctorate.
There was a B&W console TV against the wall. It was warm, and the room was musty. My 5 year old brother was even sitting still.
Others there were my Aunt and Uncle, my dad's parents and some guy my dad car pooled to campus with named Chuck.

I watched Neil step by step all the way. I remember his words like yesterday.

Other than the birth of our first child it is still today the most vivid easily recalled memory I can consciously control.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2009, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
huh?
*wi**gh*

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2009, 06:25 PM

Clever.

Got it.

ApertureValue
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2009, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
no, i was -11 years old.

i can only imagine it'd be an exciting time for the entire nation.
Damn. You beat me to it.

I was -6 at the time. Oh, I don't remember it like it was yesterday...
MacBook Pro 2.66GHz | iPhone 3G | 
Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 18-135mm IS | 580EXII

Flickr
Tome Curator

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2009, 07:57 PM

I barely remember apollo 11 since I was only 4 but I do remember the subsequent missions much more clearly.
~Mike

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2009, 08:55 PM

Y'all are freakin' OLD.

I'd guess that part of the reason why nobody gives two shits about space exploration anymore is due to total information overload - we have access to so much, and if we can look at high-res satellite imagery of nebulae millions of light years away, why does it matter if another man goes up in space?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 16, 2009, 09:35 PM

There was a letter to the editor in my local paper yesterday, bemoaning the fact that we're "wasting" billions on the space program. This guy may have never though about it, but MUCH of what we take for granted today came from the space program, or from associated programs.

The telemetry that allowed my father-in-law to have his heart monitored without being tied to a huge machine with an attendant right there came from the space program. Imaging and diagnostic breakthroughs, new understanding of how specific body systems work under stress, even such basic things as how swallowing actually works (it's VERY complex) either came straight from the moon program or were advanced immeasurably by it.

The fast development of integrated circuits in the late 1960s, leading to the development of general purpose CPUs and eventually small computers came STRAIGHT from the moon program. Fire retardant fabrics, lightweight alloys, even advances in the design and materials in foundation garments (ILC owns Playtex, but was the primary contractor for space- and moon suits for many years) all came straight from the space program. And all of these were just civil applications of the technology to GET people to the moon. We've learned immeasurable amounts about the cosmos (much of which has practical applications on Earth) from the experiments done in space over the last 50 years.

The Apollo program basically cost the US populace 5¢ a day. That's each and every one of us, but even then who couldn't afford 10¢-25¢ a day, especially given the kind of rewards we gleaned from the Apollo program. I should also note that it wasn't just "national pride" that drove us to get there first. Wouldn't the moon make a lovely missile base?

If we had "newsmen" like Walter Cronkite, reporting the space program today, there wouldn't be nearly as much "information overload" and the basics would be accessible-and fascinating. Today's "news" media is bad at reporting. They repeat, they misinterpret, and they quote each other, but very few "journalists" actually go to the effort to actually UNDERSTAND the basics about what they report, and so they can't explain it. So people think space exploration is all high-brow sci-fi stuff that they "can't" understand. Bull. But we need real reporters to get this word out.

HenryMelton
Jul 16, 2009, 09:35 PM

I must be ancient. I was glued to the set, and all the previous launches all the way back to the ranger series that crashed cameras onto the moon. Apollo XI, I was out in the den, barely able to stay in my seat, glad for the first and maybe only time in my life that I had a job and had paid taxes so that I was part of it all. I probably still have ancient and crumbly 1/4-inch audio tapes I made of the event.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2009, 10:40 PM

I wish I could have seen it. I also wish we'd do more space exploration.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2009, 10:48 PM

Experience it, live: We Choose the Moon: Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Lunar Landing

Well, actually on a 40 year tape delay.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2009, 10:50 PM

I was 7 and watched with my brother. I remember A&E ran an "As It Happened" on the 25th anniversary. I wonder if they will do that again.
45/47

ApertureValue
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2009, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Y'all are freakin' OLD.

I'd guess that part of the reason why nobody gives two shits about space exploration anymore is due to total information overload - we have access to so much, and if we can look at high-res satellite imagery of nebulae millions of light years away, why does it matter if another man goes up in space?
I wouldn't say nobody gives two shits about space exploration anymore. Haven't you seen Wall-E? That scares the crap out of me! We'll have to find SOMEPLACE to live once we've fooked this planet up enough.

Flickr
Tome Curator

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2009, 11:52 PM

I may have seen it, but was probably busy taking my own first steps on earth and soiling my diapers.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2009, 01:05 AM

There was a letter to the editor in my local paper yesterday, bemoaning the fact that we're "wasting" billions on the space program. This guy may have never though about it, but MUCH of what we take for granted today came from the space program, or from associated programs.

So people think space exploration is all high-brow sci-fi stuff that they "can't" understand. Bull. But we need real reporters to get this word out.
Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
I'd like to think people would watch if we went back to the moon.
NASA does need to be pruned to some degree. There is no good reason for government funded manned space exploration at this present time. Robots are cheaper and better suited to do it. That the Space Shuttle program is still running today boggles the mind given the cost and benefits received from it. Maybe in a decade or two once new technologies are around we should rethink sending people up beyond the moon but we should leave it to private industry to be the pioneers for the time being.

What I would like is to take the cost of one stupid shuttle mission and build 3 of those bad ass underwater labs Canada just made.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2009, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...30650&s=143444

When I was young I told my mum
And I can’t help but feel we’re all just going nowhere
yeah lets all sing along with you.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

badidea
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2009, 03:40 AM

I was -3 years old, so, unfortunately, I 've never seen it live!
But on BR (<- German TV) they have a show called Spacenight which they air after end of broadcast since 1994 every week night and I watched most of it - all Apollo missions to the modern stuff, mostly just pictures with chill-out music and also documentaries.
Since the 25th anniverary of the moon landing they also show the original version of the broadcast at the exact same time as in the 60ies!

philm
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2009, 05:55 AM

I was five months old at the time and my Dad tells me that he put me on his knee, pointed to the TV and made me watch it. I'm still fascinated by it now, and I've loved watching lots of moon-related stuff on BBC Four over the past few weeks.

It still blows my mind a bit that this was possible in 1969. Most of all, the bit where Armstrong and Aldrin blasted off from the moon's surface in the lunar module and re-attached to the command module. When I watch that now, I still think there's a chance they might just miss each other somehow. Incredible work.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2009, 08:25 AM

Is the "wechoosethemoon.org" site looking horribly broken for anyone else? It's been broken for a day or two for me.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2009, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by ApertureValue View Post
I wouldn't say nobody gives two shits about space exploration anymore. Haven't you seen Wall-E? That scares the crap out of me! We'll have to find SOMEPLACE to live once we've fooked this planet up enough.
I think it's a little premature to start fearing that we're going to permanently destroy the planet. It's one hardy sphere of dirt and water. On the other hand, your reaction to Wall-E is exactly what the writers wanted: fearmongering that evil humans are going to destroy the earth with their wasteful habits. No, the earth isn't infinitely rechargeable (or however you want to put it), but it's also not on the brink of obliteration, either.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 17, 2009, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Maybe in a decade or two once new technologies are around ...
Where are those technologies going to come from? Where is the impetus to do the research? Who will pay for the fundamental R&D? What companies will invest billions without expecting a huge profit on the VERY short term? These are just a few of the very important reasons that government must fund this research and exploration. And from these truly minimal costs (how many shuttle missions can we get for the cost of one Congressional session, including the boondoggle "junkets" and all the other crap they do?) we have learned some really fundamental and groundbreaking stuff. It was a shuttle mission that proved Einstein's General Relativity, not just supported it, as all previous experiments had. Shuttle missions have provided crucial data on solar activity and the effects of solar ejections on spacecraft, allowing for better means of protecting satellites-which in turn help protect people from hurricanes, transfer lifesaving data for air-sea rescue personnel, and other good stuff.

If you just look at the commercial applications of space technology, you're only looking at a tiny fraction of what we've gotten out of space exploration. Understanding the fundamental rules that run the universe has already produced real, concrete benefits on Earth; it was space research that led to some of the most groundbreaking microelectronics we have, from very large scale integrated circuits to nanomachines to the non-mechanical compasses in my new iPhone 3GS.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2009, 10:02 AM

No, the earth isn't infinitely rechargeable (or however you want to put it), but it's also not on the brink of obliteration, either.
Soooo, we should not concern ourselves until it's on the brink?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

ApertureValue
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2009, 10:05 AM

I think it's a little premature to start fearing that we're going to permanently destroy the planet. It's one hardy sphere of dirt and water. On the other hand, your reaction to Wall-E is exactly what the writers wanted: fearmongering that evil humans are going to destroy the earth with their wasteful habits. No, the earth isn't infinitely rechargeable (or however you want to put it), but it's also not on the brink of obliteration, either.
Yes, Shif...I was totally serious there.

However, we ARE destroying our planet and, just because YOU aren't going to be around when it's unusable anymore doesn't mean we shouldn't start looking for new habitation (to ultimately sap of its resources, too).

Flickr
Tome Curator

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2009, 10:10 AM

Where are those technologies going to come from? Where is the impetus to do the research? Who will pay for the fundamental R&D? What companies will invest billions without expecting a huge profit on the VERY short term? These are just a few of the very important reasons that government must fund this research and exploration.
I disagree, I do not think spending billions and billions of dollars to see a few men or woman do the bunny hop on the lunar surface is a worth the money that it would cost. Why not invest the money on eliminating our need to rely on oil, or look to resolve the problems that affect so many people. I think using technology advancement as a reason to go to the moon is a poor excuse for spending a staggering amount of money.

Edit: Besides private businesses have always been more efficient at spending $$ on R&D then the government. How many times have we read that a government entity has spent 40k on a hammer, or something ridiculous like that,. The government has continually shown that its unable to be responsible in using money wisely.

The reasons for going to the moon 40 years ago is different then today but its clear that the innovation that took place still could have occurred but w/o the staggering price tag. I thought the moon landings were cool back in 69 and the 70s. Now any sort of attempt at the moon is an extremely poor use of our limited resources especially given the problems this country has that needs to be resolved.
( Last edited by Maflynn; Jul 17, 2009 at 10:27 AM. )
~Mike

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2009, 12:14 PM

If you just look at the commercial applications of space technology, you're only looking at a tiny fraction of what we've gotten out of space exploration. Understanding the fundamental rules that run the universe has already produced real, concrete benefits on Earth; it was space research that led to some of the most groundbreaking microelectronics we have, from very large scale integrated circuits to nanomachines to the non-mechanical compasses in my new iPhone 3GS.
You forgot about Tang®

All kidding aside, besides the electronics advances there are the little things we take for granted. . Google "NASA spin offs"or "space spin offs"

NASA's own page on spin off tech. NASA Spinoff homepage
( Last edited by Chongo; Jul 17, 2009 at 08:31 PM. )
45/47

mac redneck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2009, 08:42 AM

I was 6. Saw it on tape delay the next day.
iMac 24", 2.4 C2D, 1TB, 4GB, 10.5.7
Late 2008 Macbook Pro 2.4 C2D, 500GB, 4GB, 10.5.7

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2009, 08:58 AM

<placeholder for sardonic comment>
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 18, 2009, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
I disagree, I do not think spending billions and billions of dollars to see a few men or woman do the bunny hop on the lunar surface is a worth the money that it would cost. Why not invest the money on eliminating our need to rely on oil, or look to resolve the problems that affect so many people. I think using technology advancement as a reason to go to the moon is a poor excuse for spending a staggering amount of money.

Edit: Besides private businesses have always been more efficient at spending $$ on R&D then the government. How many times have we read that a government entity has spent 40k on a hammer, or something ridiculous like that,. The government has continually shown that its unable to be responsible in using money wisely.

The reasons for going to the moon 40 years ago is different then today but its clear that the innovation that took place still could have occurred but w/o the staggering price tag. I thought the moon landings were cool back in 69 and the 70s. Now any sort of attempt at the moon is an extremely poor use of our limited resources especially given the problems this country has that needs to be resolved.
It was private business that padded expenses and CHARGED the government $600 for hammers...There was a time back in the 80s when General Dynamics was charging something like $2k for a special prop piece to hold up the nose radar on F16s-until a congressman touring the plant in Ft. Worth asked the people on the assembly line what they used. "A stick." That part was deleted from the manuals and locally fabricated parts (for pennies) replaced it. Government size is what allows for such inflated costs, and that size requires significant oversight-which costs money itself.

See Congo's post above for spin-offs. We profited enormously from the space program, as a nation and as a species.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2009, 02:09 PM

Hear an excellent quote this morning from Eugene Cernan (the last man on the Moon).

"Apollo was a small piece of the 21st century, dragged into the 20th by sheer force of willpower"

Absolutely true.

putrid
Jul 18, 2009, 02:13 PM

I was 7. Seen it on a black and white TV.

Should we go back? Just to go? no. I thing the only reason we should go back would be to set up a working station. Would be safer than the floating one we have now.
I've often wondered if there is relativity between the eleven dimensions in the universe and the eleven secret herbs and spices in Kentucky Fried Chicken.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2009, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by putrid View Post
I was 7. Seen it on a black and white TV.

Should we go back? Just to go? no. I thing the only reason we should go back would be to set up a working station. Would be safer than the floating one we have now.
It's also a perfect launching point for exploration; the moon's escape velocity is only a faction that of Earth. It's also perfect for a large radio telescope similar to the Arecio. The moon is also extremely rich in silicon and iron, which makes it a good resource.

Lots of reasons to go other than to just go.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 19, 2009, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
It's also a perfect launching point for exploration; the moon's escape velocity is only a faction that of Earth. It's also perfect for a large radio telescope similar to the Arecio. The moon is also extremely rich in silicon and iron, which makes it a good resource.

Lots of reasons to go other than to just go.
Four words: solar powered linear accelerator. Get out of the Earth/Moon gravity well for pennies AND get a good starting velocity from the beginning. The Moon is a GREAT place for a starting point.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2009, 06:52 PM

I don't believe we will ever step foot on the moon again! Because... if we were going to go back... we would have been back in the last 40 years!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 19, 2009, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
I don't believe we will ever step foot on the moon again! Because... if we were going to go back... we would have been back in the last 40 years!
Nope. Too much other stuff in the way. Vietnam. Recessions. Watergate. Iranian revolution. The Carter presidency. No clear vision of what to do and where to go. Old George may not have done much right, but at least he did set a goal AND a vision of where to go and why. And we can and I think will do it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules